Will we need to have custom declarations for Northern Ireland next year?

Discussion in 'International Business' started by Solly, Jun 30, 2020.

1. Solly

Solly UKBF Regular Free Member

106 13
    Trying to figure this out, not much official information which is damning.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: Solly Member since: Jan 13, 2020
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,357 2,959
    Perhaps official information will be updated by summer next year. Brexit appears to be a low priority issue in parliament.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Solly

106 13
    I thought all of this was meant to be in place by Jan 1st? Or are you joking?

Very happy to hear we have more time.

4. Mr D

24,357 2,959
    No I'm not joking - some stuff appears to be still decided upon, parliament has been somewhat distracted the past 4 months and stuff that should be in place by now is not.

Would not surprise me if like with some of the changes under Covid there is delay in producing the guidance until after the actions have to be taken.

5. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,170 1,766
    The way I veiw it yes
    A hard border that is a hard border is a hard is border

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  6. Mr D

24,357 2,959
    OK its a border not a ***** enhancer.

Seriously its an important issue ignored by devolved government and UK government. And of interest to a large percentage of the business community in one way or another.

7. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,236 4,231
    Noone knows anything - least of all, this government. If they are dealing with this issue with the same intelligence, knowhow, vigour and efficiency as they are applying to the C19 pandemic, then you are stuffed!

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  8. Paul Norman

Paul Norman UKBF Ace Free Member

2,780 866
    The truth is we do not yet know. The decision has not yet been made.

If we leave with no deal - my understanding is that is what people were clamouring for - then that may not even be our decision. There will have to be a border either between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, or between mainland UK and Northern Ireland. The second seems to make more sense, as far as any of this makes sense.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: Paul Norman Member since: Apr 8, 2010
  9. RobinBHM

RobinBHM UKBF Regular Free Member

385 123
    My understanding is that the UK govt has refused to allow anybody to start working on it (or until very recently) for the the political reason that the government spin is that of 'unfettered access'.

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: RobinBHM Member since: Apr 14, 2012
  10. RobinBHM

RobinBHM UKBF Regular Free Member

385 123
    as far as I know, the answer is a Vicky Pollard yes but no

this was from Sam Lowe back in May:

"As for general customs paperwork, all goods entering Northern Ireland from Great Britain will need to be accompanied by a customs and security declaration. However, UK officials are responsible for the enforcement of export/import formalities on both sides of the sea border (although in the case of the Northern Ireland side of the internal border the officials will be required to apply the rules of the EU’s Union Customs Code). This increases the potential for enforcement to be pushed away from the border itself and for additional requirements to be folded into pre-existing procedures.

For example, under the simplified declaration procedure of the Union Customs Code, importers are already allowed to digitally submit minimal information upon import, with more detailed declarations submitted after the fact. In a no-deal scenario, the UK intended to roll out a similar approach (the so-called transitional simplified procedure) to all UK importers; this should now be introduced for all importers in Northern Ireland. Customs compliance could then be dealt with via a combination of risk-based and random audits of importers (with the involvement of EU officials to assuage any fears), keeping checks at ports of entry to a minimum."

as for any official government guidelines....the .gov site says:
    This guidance was withdrawn on 30 January 2020

I cant find any update....
    https://www.gov.uk/guidance/customs...f-the-uk-leaves-the-eu-without-a-deal#history

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: RobinBHM Member since: Apr 14, 2012
  11. The Byre

10,236 4,231
    Not only do I find that the concept of having to have ANY sort of paperwork of any type to send goods and/or services from one part of the UK to another part of the UK very disturbing, but is almost totally politically unacceptable.

Unless of course, this government has a secret agenda to break up the United Kindom. If that is the case, then all I can say is "So far, so good!"

Posted: Jun 30, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  12. Solly

106 13
    One of my suppliers is talking about the same sort of VAT arrangements you get in Norway with trade to the rest of the EU. So you send the items with no VAT as an export, to consumers but then the post office or Courier will charge the VAT and then a handling fee when it arrives.

EU B2C sales are not critical to us, but a nice income stream, especially from Amazon and Fruugo. Will be upset to loose some of it.

https://despatchcloud.com/2020/06/3...eady-for-brexit-the-end-of-transition-period/

13. Mr D

24,357 2,959
    Yes, one way to annoy the customers. And if they refuse to pay then they get a full refund including postage (if a consumer).

14. Import Expert

Import Expert UKBF Regular Free Member

335 134
    You will not need an export customs entry out of the UK to NI but you will need to have an import customs declaration into NI. The goods news is that this whole process has been simplified and declarations can be made through a portal called the 'Trader Support Scheme'. It has not been announced exactly how this will work yet but it will be free to use.

Posted: Aug 24, 2020 By: Import Expert Member since: Feb 1, 2012
  15. The Byre

10,236 4,231
    I can see this nonsense failing at the very first serious legal hurdle.

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  16. Jeff FV

Jeff FV UKBF Big Shot Staff Member

3,699 1,762
    No, I don’t think there is such an agenda, in fact I think the reverse is true. The only thing that is keeping the Johnson-Cummings government remotely in check is the fear of the break up of the Union.

Part of the reason for some of the many U turns they have made of late (other than being blindingly obviously the right thing to do) is to follow Scotland’s lead. If England’s policies deviate too much from Scotland’s, it strengthens the narrative for Scottish independence (particularly as, rightly or wrongly, the SNP and Nicola Sturgeon in particular are seen as far more competent than Johnson and the English Tory Party). Johnson et al need to show that there is not a big difference between England and Scotland, else the call for Scottish independence is strengthened.

On Brexit, given that we have failed to complete the “easiest deal in history” there will need to be a hard border somewhere between the U.K. and EU. There are two options, on the NI/ROI border - which is in contravention of the Good Friday Agreement - or in the Irish Sea.

As pointed out by another poster above, there are maNy logical reasons to put that hard border in the Irish Sea. However, doing that will ultimately lead to a United Ireland, as part of the EU.

The real name of the Tory party is the Conservative and Unionist party, yet the chances of them being the cause of the complete break up of the U.K. is not insignificant.

And all these problems are entirely of their own making, and the can has been kicked down the road time, and time again. There was the possibility to give the can another big (Covid blamed) boot, and seek a further extension to the transition period, but that opportunity has now passed and the government have now got to square the unsquarable circle.

The sky is dark with birds coming home to roost.

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 By: Jeff FV Member since: Jan 10, 2009
  17. The Byre

10,236 4,231
    It was a tongue-in-cheek comment!

A hard border would fail legally.

They are pushing NI away and they have almost totally alienated Scotland. The Labour and Liberal p[arties are nowhere North of the border. The unionist argument is rapidly being lost by default the de stupidity!

Ain't that de truth! I must admit that I am enjoying the spectacle - I just wish this movie would run a bit faster - my attention span ain't that good. A bit more Jason Bourne - a bit less Doctor Zhivago!

Posted: Aug 28, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013