Will some sort of Mobile device work?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by David A, Jul 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. David A

David A UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

577 134
    I have a computer which controls access to a building, which while it has electricity does not have a phone line.

We want to upgrade to a Paxton Net2 system whereby each person has an individually coded fob. With this system we can activate fobs as people come, and more importantly deactivate them if they go and don't return the fob(s). This has become an issue as some former people who no longer have rights of access still enter the building.

With Net2 we can update the user table remotely, but to do this we need to access the computer that is on site. A fixed landline looks expensive, particularly as we will only need remote access once a week or so. Thus my question is whether a mobile dongle or something could be used for remote access instead? If so, or even not, any recommendations on how we can solve this?

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 By: David A Member since: Mar 25, 2011
  2. soundengineeruk

soundengineeruk UKBF Regular Free Member

375 66
    NO KNOWLEDGE ABOUT NET2 SYSTEMS..

However looking from IT point of view, if you can update remotely I do not see how a fixed line will help..

Is there Internet connection on site? If yes, I assume you are looking for VPN kind of connection into the network and update across internet..?

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 By: soundengineeruk Member since: Jul 25, 2012
  3. David A

577 134
    No internet on site, which is the problem with a fixed line - as well as the basic rental, access to the internet would be another cost.

4. soundengineeruk

soundengineeruk UKBF Regular Free Member

375 66
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Posted: Jul 16, 2016 By: soundengineeruk Member since: Jul 25, 2012
  5. David A

577 134
    Thank you SoundEngineerUK. Looks like that will do nicely - I didn't realise these 3g/4g mobile routers were available.

6. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,215 1,719
    Yep a 4g dongle should do the trick. Whether it is cheaper than a line plus basic broadband is up to you to work out.

Posted: Jul 16, 2016 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.