WiFi extenders

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Mark T Jones, Nov 13, 2019.

1. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,718 1,158
    hi

Having finally got fibre to property, I’d like to get a strong signal throughout the house (not a huge house - 3 beds)

Looking at probably a single extender but would love some opinions on what I really need to be looking for, best makes etc etc

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  2. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Ace Free Member

1,678 482
    Are you with BT Mark? I complained to them that their router was so poor that it couldn't cover my whole house (also not a large house) and eventually they sent me signal extenders for free.

One set that they sent me was rubbish, so they sent me another set which are pretty good. So the BT ones I guess are quite literally hit and miss.

It annoys me that rather than extending your existing signal, it sets up a separate network, so you need to get your devices to choose the right network if you move from one room to the next.

Posted: Nov 13, 2019 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  3. kulture

kulture UKBF Legend Staff Member

7,989 2,188
    Posted: Nov 13, 2019 By: kulture Member since: Aug 11, 2007
  4. obscure

obscure UKBF Ace Free Member

3,051 736
    The correct thing to do is have one extender by the router and then add others as needed. Then you turn off the wifi on the router and just use the one wifi network provided by the extenders.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 By: obscure Member since: Jan 18, 2008
  5. Mark T Jones

3,718 1,158
    Hi Gordon

Yes, unfortunately I am forced to be with BT. The amount of f**k-ups they have made, I'm sure I could coax a free extender out of them, but TBH I'd rather pay for the best solution than get a compromise for free.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  6. Mark T Jones

3,718 1,158
  7. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Regular Full Member

471 88
    It is fibre to the premises or FTTC with VDSL for the last bit?

You can use your own router - you do not have to use the BT one. Not sure about FTTP, but definitely with VDSL.

The last time I had a similar problem I just ran an ethernet cable up stairs and plugged in an access point there.

Just out of curiosity, why? Only FTTP provider in the area?

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  8. Mark T Jones

3,718 1,158
    It's FTTP; recently brought to the area by Openreach - and not yet available through anyone other than BT - not even EE, who offer fantastic customer service & are owned by BT.

So are you saying I might be able to upgrade to a better router? Any idea on what I need to be looking for?

Thanks for your help!

9. gpietersz

471 88
    Sorry, no practical experience of FTTP. You should have a box fixed to the wall that you can connect a router to with an ethernet cable?

I know you can use the Fritzbox I got from Zen (very good, one of the reasons I chose them - I can even keep it if I switch now I have had it more than an year) with FTTP. AFAIK just connect to the ONT (the box on the wall) with an ethernet cable and setup.

10. gpietersz

471 88
    Thanks, I did not know they had good customer service.

11. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,351 4,329
    I've just last week switched my virgin box into modem mode and plugged in a Draytek to act as the router, this was after having problems with voip. It fixed the voip problem and lots of other little niggles too, like poor wifi.

I know your not with virgin, but it's still fiber, mines a draytek vigor 2862ac router, which I believe will work on anything, a few instructions off the interweb and I had it up and running very quickly. KM Tiger is good with this kinda thing, a nice fella too and he likes a draytek, check with him what router you need.

Posted: Nov 14, 2019 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  12. MikeJ

MikeJ UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,694 1,644
    Returning to the original question, I've used a Belkin N300 at home and at the office. It mimics your existing network, so you're not switching as you move from one to the other. Quite easy to set up, and just plugs into a power socket.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 By: MikeJ Member since: Jan 15, 2008
  13. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,561 1,738
    @Mark T Jones , they use the electrical cables in your house to transmit data from one socket to any other sockets in the house. Clever stuff, been around several years. Here's a review of some of the products in that market.

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  14. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

626 103
    Posted: Nov 18, 2019 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  15. on31ll

on31ll UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    i will add that ubiquiti are by far the best solution. good enough price, excellent quality. by far most stable product

Posted: Nov 18, 2019 By: on31ll Member since: Nov 18, 2019
  16. Ilfracombe

Ilfracombe UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 3
    One of the mistake I see people make is 'Just buy a router/access point', it is partly true, but there are a few factors to take into consideration.
    1. Using Ethernet-over-Powerline sockets is the easiest way to overcome where to put the access point, but from experience, the performance can degrade so much if the lines are dirty or interfere with other equipment, I once seen it in a house where 100Mbps can drop to less than 1Mbps after running for a few days, off and on again will cure it but it will repeat.
    2. Channels. You need to do a survey to see which channel is less used , most ISP will sent their boxes out fixed to C1 or C44 etc. so if all your neighbours are using the same channels then you will see a signal drop.
    3. Remember that most Ubiquiti are PoE, some do come with their own power supply but many do not. Other than that they are excellent for signal.
    4. If its a 3 bed house, 2 floors, most routers should do it well but you will need to find a good location to place it, yes, the BT ones are a bit rubbish but its normal.

Posted: Nov 19, 2019 By: Ilfracombe Member since: Nov 19, 2019