Wicke officially invoice refund

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Abcmnb, Apr 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM.

1. Abcmnb

Abcmnb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    hi

We purchased an item from wickes
    Item required us to create a concrete base in garden in accordance to their website measurements but they were incorrect according to the installers (shed base)

We have had builders in to adjust the concrete base, provided the invoice to wickes only to find they won’t accept it

We’ve explained to them the sole trader is not vat registered or on companies website

Wickes won’t accept a word formatted invoice with the company name, address, work that was carried out and amount detailed

They want an official invoice with the companies name headed, vat and companies house number, detailed description of the work done

I’ve explained to wickes he’s a sole trader and the gov website states an invoice only needs a company name, address name, work carried out and amount done

Can anyone offer any advice?

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 5:07 PM By: Abcmnb Member since: Apr 17, 2019
  2. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Ace Full Member

2,813 800
    Legally speaking the invoice header for a sole trader should also show the full name of the proprietor

He might also want to back it up with some formal documentation such as a tax return or bank statement in the business name.

Of course, Wickes can create their own rules but I suspect this is a case of someone over-interpretating or simply not understanding

Posted: Apr 17, 2019 at 5:14 PM By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  3. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,065 139
    Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 11:25 AM By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  4. Abcmnb

Abcmnb UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hi

We have responded to the customer service manager via email several times explaining that he’s a sole trader and according to the government website a sole trader needs to provide an invoice/letter with their company name, address contact details, description of the work done.
    But Wickes customer service manager has responded basically reiterating their previous emails

They want an official invoice with their company printed, a detailed description of the work completed, and they want his companies registration number and vat. I have explained he’s not vat registered or on the companies website but they still ask for this or won’t refund!

I honestly don’t know what to do now, the manager even wrote in his email that the amount on the invoice is excessive! Just under £600- again I told him via email prices in London are high (he’s from Ireland) he said he will refund me a partial payment £250, the actual amount due is £585!)

We built a concrete base in accordance to their website only to find their contractors don’t agree with the sizes so wickes are at fault for providing us the wrong sizes! Yet they won’t refund because they want an official invoice company invoice even though the builder is a sole trader! Honestly sick and tired now

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 7:25 PM By: Abcmnb Member since: Apr 17, 2019
  5. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Regular Free Member

149 26
    Their response thus far amounts to an admission of liability, from what OP has said, so I doubt they would even try and defend it?

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 7:27 PM By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  6. paulears

paulears UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,707 910
    They're clearly avoiding it because they create trade accounts for sole traders to get a bot of extra discount, and they accept these kinds of documents to do that - so if they only dealt with traders who are Ltd companies and VAT registered folk they'd lose a fair bit of business!

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 8:47 PM By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  7. Stedurham

Stedurham UKBF Regular Free Member

250 36
    I’m Involved in a garage and we put warranty’s on cars and they must to to a vat registers garage or the warranty company don’t pay out simples. Similar thing they want to ensure that a proper company are doing the work any builder surely turns over the vat threshold. Plus they get to claim vat back

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 10:59 PM By: Stedurham Member since: May 11, 2018
  8. paulears

3,707 910
    The notion that VAT registration equates to reliability and quality is of course rubbish. My local garage are getting ready to retire, and they have deregistered and now turn away new customers, servicing the vehicles of the customers they've had for ages and they are staying under the limit quite happily. The real reason is simply that they perceive VAT registered business as probably cheaper as compared to the consumer they can ignore the VAT element. I think many people would consider that 'proper companies' are the only ones who register for VAT a daft statement.

I had a number of quotes for a roof repair. The one I went to had the best price, is NOT VAT registered and very busy, based on when he can do the job. Based on the time to do the job, the price and availability I don't know how he's not over the limit, but he seems not to be.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 11:13 PM By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  9. Stedurham

250 36
    based on fact he’s very busy, time itl take before he can do job he’s not doubt defrauding vat man. How much is your roof job and how long will it take?

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 11:15 PM By: Stedurham Member since: May 11, 2018
  10. Stedurham

250 36
    Sorry but if you are a builder and not doing vat threshold your are either fiddling or rubbish,
    Especially in London.

Posted: Apr 19, 2019 at 11:17 PM By: Stedurham Member since: May 11, 2018
  11. paulears

3,707 910
    three grand, four days, and wouldn't live in London for any reason! ........ and he's running behind and just put it off for a week.

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 9:01 AM By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  12. Stedurham

250 36
    So on that basis hes doing 195k a year even if its less its not over 100k less, guess hes cash on completion

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 9:42 AM By: Stedurham Member since: May 11, 2018
  13. paulears

3,707 910
    Nope - "bank transfer is preferred".

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 9:55 AM By: paulears Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  14. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,210 3,183
    I have to agree! The materials for renovating a single room in our building and making it suitable for production (40 sq m) came to £10,000. Add labour on top of that! Floor and walls for the kitchen £4,000. These are small renovation jobs. Now build a house! Timber £25,000, foundations £25,000. Then add brickwork, plumbing, heating, electrics and a roof - and you might need windows as well! Kingspan is now about £20-25 a sheet wholesale and thermal blankets for the attic about the same or more.

We are registered with Wickes as trade and get a discount and had to supply a website, company number and VAT number.

As for the OP, it all hinges on whether the dimensions for your shed were wrong on the Wickes website, or whether the handyman or you did something daft like look at the wrong shed or misread the instructions (e.g. taking dimensions of walls to be the same as the size of the foundations). If you go down the small claims path, you will have to prove that Wickes' instructions were wrong and that those instructions formed a part of the contract of supply.

Posted: Apr 20, 2019 at 2:26 PM By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013