General Business Forum Brought to you by Square

Why UKBusinessForums Can Help Your Business!

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Jet Virtual, Jan 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Steve Sellers

Steve Sellers UKBF Big Shot Full Member - Verified Business

4,052 1,210
    Stick it in here(edit I have looked for the thread in feedback in which henry talks about forum improvements but it has gone).... maybe if enough people want it they will make it happen...maybe...;)

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 By: Steve Sellers Member since: Aug 7, 2011
  2. truereddevil

truereddevil UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

607 37
    I agree totally with the OP for me there is only 2 main business forums within the UK i regularly use and that is this one and TWF forget the rest and i agree some sort of review star system possibly for paid advertisers on this forum would work a treat

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 By: truereddevil Member since: Feb 8, 2009
  3. Jet Virtual

Jet Virtual UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

869 238
    I think I may be gettting something started here ... :D

Posted: Jan 15, 2013 By: Jet Virtual Member since: Mar 21, 2011
  4. Steve Sellers

4,052 1,210
    Messaged Henry and tried to cc you in Daniel, but it says you are not accepting pm's. Maybe if enough people want it, SIFT may want to do it...maybe...;)

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 By: Steve Sellers Member since: Aug 7, 2011
  5. Henry Osadzinski

Henry Osadzinski UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,459 1,134
    Morning all,

Sorry for missing this at first - thanks to those of you who messaged me with a link! Happy to say that a couple of things have come out of reading the thread this morning:

1. This is now a sticky in the General Business Forum - it's great to hear from people who have successfully used the site to build partnerships and drum up business and Daniel's intro guide reads better than anything I've put together so far (plus it's straight from someone who has used the site in this way!). Ideally, as many people (especially new members after a bit more guidance) should see it as possible :)

2. We're looking into the option of adding member reviews in much more detail and, obviously, as the people who would be using and benefiting from them, we want to work on this with you. I'll add an edit to this thread in a moment with a link to some notes in a new feedback forum thread. Please do share your thoughts.

Thanks to Daniel / JetVirtual for starting this thread!

Update: Thread's up! I'll be testing this all out today & tomorrow to see how I can make it work without breaking anything else important :)

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 By: Henry Osadzinski Member since: Aug 30, 2011
  6. Jet Virtual

869 238
    My absolute pleasure Henry! I believe that if long time members shared their positive experience here it will give new members/wannabe members some guidance.

Daniel

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 By: Jet Virtual Member since: Mar 21, 2011
  7. Henry Osadzinski

Henry Osadzinski UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,459 1,134
    Quick note to say there's a thread over in Feedback to talk about the logistics, considerations and current work behind the feature. It'd be great to hear more from people on their experiences when it comes to finding business and other assistance through the site on here to help newer members make a good impression and learn from the people who had success with it :)

Posted: Jan 16, 2013 By: Henry Osadzinski Member since: Aug 30, 2011
  8. Steve Sellers

4,052 1,210
    Oi that was my suggestion! :p

9. Jet Virtual

869 238
    Ha Steve I am taking ALL the credit for this and it feels just great :p

10. Steve Sellers

4,052 1,210
    LOL.

This is called "karma".

My mother came round the other day and took it upon herself to spring clean my kitchen. When my other half came in and was shocked that I had done such a thing I happily took all the credit! :p

Shusssh though! ;)

11. Jet Virtual

869 238
    You got your mother to clean your kitchen? Your sick! :p

12. Steve Sellers

4,052 1,210
    Haha it wasn't dirty. She just took it upon itself to clean everything from top to bottom, spring clean style. Hey, I'm not going to stop her! :D

Don't worry I appreciate it, I will send her a mothers day card! :p

13. Jet Virtual

869 238
    OK Steve has taken this thread way off topic with his Mother's OCD cleaning habits ... :D

Back to the subject ...

Has anyone had any success stories from being on this forum? Please share ... :)

14. raavn111

raavn111 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 1
    This is one of the best business forum site , here i get ideas from all over the world or especially from UK.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 By: raavn111 Member since: Jan 20, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  15. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

3,151 1,028
    Really good site this !

If your in business many people on here hide behind a made up name and thats not so wise .You need people to know who you are . !
    I never set out to gain business from her five years ago I always speak my mind I never care about what people think but I did not know that what I say ranks high on the search engines of Gooooogle !
    That however is a good thing to my supprise as members here know all about and they already feel they know you .They also know nobody is perfect and if you make full use of this site it will do your business some good
    There are a couple of threads on here that appear on searches that customers search no good :rolleyes: but some are good ! we gain about 3 jobs a week from a link on motobike forum that was pasted from here !!
    Before christmas I wont mention the company on here whos engineers left their equipment in Leeds and drove all the way down the M1 before they realised they had forgotten it !!
    Thats what I have gained from the site but I also try to give some back I have had a long long time in business I dont have the answers but I say whathas happened to me ,some of it is not always good or the dream that being in business should be but thats life !
    I have been here for five years and £160 ! I have a wealth of contacts when I need help or advice . I can offer advice when people need help I can have a laugh or moan and kick off when you lot talk rubbish :D and I gain business from here !!

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  16. fcsourcing

fcsourcing UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 2
    Thank you very much for the great advice. We will make this our vision to share what we know and experience.

Posted: Jan 24, 2013 By: fcsourcing Member since: Jan 23, 2013
  17. Jet Virtual

869 238
    Thanks for the input Jeremy. I definitely agree with not hiding behind made up names. If you want trust then you shouldn't hide behind avatars.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Posted: Jan 25, 2013 By: Jet Virtual Member since: Mar 21, 2011
  18. serendipitybusiness

serendipitybusiness UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

922 164
    I disagree, sometimes this is necessary to be able to truly give information without it reflecting on your business. For instance I have given seo advice on the forum before, I can do this freely as my profile cannot be linked to my clients, who have benefited from this but don't want their competitors to know who they are hiring and what they are doing. If I came out under my own name on here it would mean that I would not be able to share and advise as effectively as I do as I would always have to be careful about exactly what I say.

Others don't want to advise under their own name as they cannot discuss what is working for them in fear their competitors will know what they are doing but are happy to share information in a broader context.

A forum was brought together originally to encourage open discussion, some people are more confident with anonymity than others. A forum offers that choice and as such creates a wider platform for information sharing for a wider variety of people.

As for an avatar not everyone can stand photos of themselves, look at how many people put their kids on their profile photos for facebook!

Last edited: Jan 25, 2013
    Posted: Jan 25, 2013 By: serendipitybusiness Member since: Jun 27, 2008
  19. Jet Virtual

869 238
    This response doesn't work for me. I give advice on this forum that is open for all to read, including my competitors. I have nothing to hide.

Your competitors can see the advice you publish anyway as it is a public forum so it doesn't matter whether you hide behind an avatar or not.

I just think that the forum loses it's trust factor with more masked avatars hiding behind ridiculous fictitious names.

Think about it. Who would you more readily trust?

Steve Sellers who has his real name and company listed ... or ... havingagreattime who lists his name as Mexican Chicken?

Anyone disagree?

Last edited: Jan 27, 2013
    Posted: Jan 27, 2013 By: Jet Virtual Member since: Mar 21, 2011
  20. a4nthony

a4nthony UKBF Regular Free Member

151 18
    I think this is a great site. Not been here long but had some great advice and hoping I can give some back (or at least opinions).

To me its like meeting friends socially who have a business brain so that you can bounce ideas off each other. If you turn up each day/week/month and just pick peoples brains they will soon start to ignore you (and quite right), but if you share experiences and give them helpful opinions and advice on their problems as well then its a two way street and extremely helpful.

Long may UKBF continue :)

Posted: Jan 27, 2013 By: a4nthony Member since: Nov 4, 2012
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.