Why overtaxing the rich is wrong

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Cornish Steve, Apr 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    That's not the choice. But as you get your knowledge "down the boozer" you probably don't know that.
    Still, life must look good through your beer goggles or else how could you stand it with the amount of moaning you do?

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  2. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,644
    Oh has this other choice got something to do with religion.?:eek::p

Earl

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  3. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    I'm sorry I don't follow.
    Are you saying that people of a particular religion are not paying enough tax, or doing something else?
    What are you saying?

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  4. adventurelife

adventurelife UKBF Ace Full Member

2,040 620
    Same same I am in the middle of my third totally different spin at life but only a young 45;) If I am lucky enough to get a few more years I fully expect to have another go at something completely different in my later years.

In some ways it gets harder as you get older but in other ways all those years of experience come in to their own.

One thing is for sure it is going to get harder for all of us compared to the last 30 years and I only know of one way to deal with that, and that is head on.

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 By: adventurelife Member since: Dec 2, 2007
  5. MASSEY

MASSEY UKBF Legend Full Member

10,328 1,783
    Well im sure you could retire with the money you have made from seo. You hold some pretty good serp rankings .

Posted: Apr 28, 2011 By: MASSEY Member since: Nov 29, 2009
  6. shadzz

shadzz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    well said SteveGibson

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 By: shadzz Member since: Feb 3, 2011
  7. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    You probably believe that don't you?

Give yourself another ten or 15 years and come back and tell me the same. Only a select few people of my age (62) are capable of doing any really physical work. With my arthritic joints I know that I could not do it. This rules out many of the jobs that are available.

Unfortunately only those who are experiencing it with its inherent problems appreciate what it is like to get old. The rest just think they do.

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 By: bdw Member since: Aug 13, 2008
  8. RedEvo

RedEvo UKBF Legend Free Member

6,007 1,533
    Are you suggesting in 21st century Britain the only jobs available are ones requiring physical fitness? I don't remember suggesting I was going to re-train to become a road repairer or roustabout.

As for my statement about having 20 years work left in me at 50 then your damn right I believe it. I don't expect to ever retire, I expect to adapt and adjust my life as I've always done.

I've no idea what life will throw at me, I could be dead this time next week but for me life's a journey not a destination and I'll do it my way whilst respecting that you'll do it yours ;)

d

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 By: RedEvo Member since: May 12, 2007
  9. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,987 889
    I'm just short of 70 and while I take a lot of pills I still believe I've got another 10 years at least. I was scrabbling up and down cliffs before dawn yesterday.

(I sympathise with BDW and am sorry to hear your health is not good.)

Bob

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  10. hmmm

hmmm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,722 127
    so let me get this right in my mind..without fact and with just hearsay and net talk i see that %75 of all wealth this % could be as much as %90+ is with %5 of the population.

hmmmm

no lets not tax the rich ,more

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 By: hmmm Member since: Apr 14, 2011
  11. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    No, that was you as it not?

12. bdw

bdw Banned

6,568 1,269
    Sorry Bob, perhaps I gave a wrong impression. Actually I am not bad for 62. This afternoon I walked about nine miles for exercise (and because there was a few pints of *real ale at the end of it). My knees were sore all the way but I still enjoyed it.

Tomorrow I am playing in a bowling tournament at my club starting at 10.00. I may suffer for that tomorrow evening but I am happy to accept that I am no longer as fit as the young guy who ran marathons in 2.45 thirty years ago. I enjoy my life and while I have a few joint probs I am by no means a cripple.

But then what has this to do with overtaxing the rich?

:)

13. RedEvo

6,007 1,533
    In a word, no.

d

14. andygambles

andygambles UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,630 689
    When you start paying 40% tax you will realise how stupidly unfair it feels.

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 By: andygambles Member since: Jun 17, 2009
  15. OptiRick

OptiRick UKBF Regular Free Member

300 46
    I don't have the answers but just out of interest,

Our country/society has running costs, if you weren't taking a bit extra from those who have plenty, where would you take it?

Because I personally believe that those who are working but aren't doing well enough to pay 40% tax haven't any more to spare.

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 By: OptiRick Member since: Jun 4, 2010
  16. hmmm

1,722 127
    when some earn enough to pay 40% then you see how unfair it is ..thats correct..

bdw ..thats the spirit .i admire you and love that you do those things. enjoy . your probably fitter than me

17. JohnnyCash

JohnnyCash Guest

1,427 480
    Take it from the people who can't just go elsewhere. Cut benefits and increase the tax to your average middle class workers :eek:

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 By: JohnnyCash Member since: Dec 8, 2010
  18. hmmm

1,722 127
    lol .............. naughty

19. RedEvo

6,007 1,533
    I think this is where the whole argument falls down. Assuming people who earn over £45k "have plenty" is flawed. People, with any sense, live within their means. Someone earning £45k plus will no doubt buy a bigger house than average - built by people in the building trade no doubt. They may drive a bigger car - built by people in the motor trade. They may hire a cleaner to look after their house = more money into UK PLC. In short their outgoings may well be in line with their income.

Simply taking the money from them might actually be short sighted. They are paying more then someone on £25k anyway, percentages take care of that.

It's a complex argument and in my view can't be polarised as taking money off rich people or people who can afford it.

As someone above suggested, perhaps you need to move into 40% tax before you think it's unfair :)

d

20. OptiRick

OptiRick UKBF Regular Free Member

300 46
    RedEvo, I agree with a lot of what you say but the fact of the matter is that someone paying 40% has more coming in than someone who isn't.

That wasn't my point though, if you aren't taking it from the higher earners, where do you take it?

Posted: Apr 29, 2011 By: OptiRick Member since: Jun 4, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.