Why not my site?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by gemd89, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FireFleur

FireFleur UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,868 441
    Keep going Gemma, but don't run yourself ragged, it takes a while to get things right. One thing to look at is the ease of updating the site, so you can quickly play with ideas.

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 By: FireFleur Member since: Oct 29, 2008
  2. DealSwift

DealSwift UKBF Newcomer Free Member

50 1
    Gem, you have my msn, feel free to ask me anything anytime :)

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 By: DealSwift Member since: Jul 14, 2009
  3. gemd89

gemd89 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,979 202
    Yes its easily updated with changes.

Thinking of also adding in life chat software on the site that customers have to click to initiate chat if THEY want to, i dont want it to pop up!

Yes dealswift i do and will be checking on the process of your site

Gemma

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 By: gemd89 Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  4. Bruvver

Bruvver UKBF Newcomer Free Member

259 72
    Here it is Gemma, click accessories, handbags, stylish shopper.
    Two capital A's with ^ above them.

I would link to it but I don't think I have enough posts.

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 By: Bruvver Member since: Jun 6, 2009
  5. gemd89

1,979 202
    Right okay, it was a bullet point i think, thats why!

Thanks

Gemma

6. oldeagleeye

oldeagleeye UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,987 1,220
    Personally Gemma I think that it is stretching it a bit to call a site selling a mix match of clothes - job lots and ex catalogue gear a ' fashion' site let alone fantasy fashion. Anyway - as said that is just my personal opinion.

On a more positive note I am always complaining to the manager of my local post office which is on the edge of a big council housing estate and has more than it's fair share of young unmarried mum's. In fact it doesn't matter what time of day you pop in the PO to buy some stamps etc and there are always a couple of them with sacks loads of catalogue returns.

It's a bloody nuisance for other customers and I am seriously thinking of closing my A & L banks account. Not a great loss but those catalogue companies must be losing a fortune with this quite accepted policy by many today of ordering something - wear it once and then send it.

It used to just me on a Monday though but now those push chairs and prams are full like a bloody wagon train back and forth all week long.

I doubt your ever run out of stock then - or will you. I think that M & S may have set the trend and it wouldn't take much to insist Agents only take genuine orders.

Anyway. Good luck Gemma. You seem to a won a few members over. No doubt a discount offer will drum up a bit of trade perhaps for you come a Jan sale. As for me.

I'll be looking for a XXL Merlin the Wizards Outfit in April for a May Day charity gig we old rascals run. The last one I had caught fire my trying to make a dramatic appearance through a cloud of smoke.

That wasn't so bad. It was the stupid bugger that tried to rip a singed beard off thinking it was false. It wasn't. Think I'll use dry ice next time round. ERK.

Robert

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    Posted: Dec 15, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  7. gemd89

1,979 202
    Im just trying to make an honest living..im a real person and i am working hard - hopefully that comes across from my posts here.

The advice i have recieved on this forum post alone has been fantastic and its great that people are so honest and im thankful that people have given there time to look over the site and give their feedback

Gemma

8. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    Please read my post again carefully Gemma. I was not knocking you in any way. I was just trying to give you a different perspective because the trend these days is if you want to be successful is do it well and concentrate on your core customers or which market that you want to target if you don't have that many.

If your into boots then you will find dozens of really great sites offering just boots + maybe a few acc's. Go to any market and your find a stall specilaising in handbags and doing well. Why. A wide choice & presentation and the customer knowing that they bought from the 'handbag' stall.

The point is that they could probably have got something similar at the local charity shop for 50p. They might even have bought a dress there - but a treasured hand-bag. My local RSPCA end up throwing them away.

The point is Gemma that the days of the 'general' store are numbered unless you can do it really well like John Lewis or even Littlewoods. Unfortunately Woolworths didn't and as we all know have gone.

Now as I said at the begining. No-one is out to knock you and certainly not I. Even with a small business however you have to look months down the line. Most people now would have bought their winter shoes and boots and it's a bit late to market Christmas specials in anything so what's next.

The buyers for the big stores will already have bought their Spring collections by September this year and they will be out in the shops after the sales in Jan.

You too have to plan like that Gemma. That is not a criticism. It is a task you must make number 1 priority for the New Year. Now you can choose to take these points on board or ignore them. That is you choice. What isn't however is to suggest that I was knocking your efforts. That is untrue. All I was trying to do is point you in the right direction.

Robert

Robert

Last edited: Dec 15, 2009
    Posted: Dec 15, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  9. Blush

Blush UKBF Newcomer Full Member

1,135 78
    I think the main thing letting your site down is that as a customer landing on your home page you give conflicting impressions.
    the name doesn't reflect what you sell, along the top you have fancy dress only but then main body is images of clothing, bags , make up etc.
    You need to find your niche and start with that first.
    Also the actual product images do not sell the items enough, ie the ladies fashion, these would look much better on 'real' people as the clothes would hang better.
    At the moment you have a bit of everything, go back and decide what it is you are going ot concentrate on , who your competition is , and what your USP is , ie what do you offer that they don't.
    You also need more product info to sell something, take this for example
    http://www.fantasywardrobe.co.uk/embossed-print-dress-p-1868.html

Your description tells me nothing whatsoever about this item at all, You have to sell it to me, give the customer detailed descriptions, tell them why they must buy it!
    Because at the moment it simply looks like a cheap dress.
    Sorry if anyone has already covered these points, I haven't gone through all the old posts.
    also you rabout us page needs looking at too
    'The best way to contact us is by email as we work 24/7 and this will get you a quick response'
    you need to change the wording here doesn't instil any confidence at all.
    you need a contact telephone number also, even if yu can't answer it get an answer machine.
    You would be surprised at how many telephone orders we pick up.

Good luck though, there are good points too so don't feel too disheartned.:)

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 By: Blush Member since: Mar 22, 2007
  10. dunerider

dunerider UKBF Newcomer Free Member

999 155
    if the site is selling ex catalogue stock cant this be its "niche"? then the diversity of product lines can be explained?

ie be honest where the stock comes from and you might get a following

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 By: dunerider Member since: Nov 14, 2009
  11. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    Ex- Catalogue Returns is hardly a niche market.

Try Google . Just under 3 Million pages.

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  12. gemd89

1,979 202
    I was thinking about the name on the site, as i have built lots of links up for the fantasywardrobe domain though would i be able to keep that domain and then have it redirecting to a new domain name where the site it?

Will have a new name brainstorm to reflect a clothing store.

Gemma

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 By: gemd89 Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  13. dunerider

999 155
    Ok it was just an idea.... admittedly its a market place i know little about. It sounds like a hard place to earn from, high maintenance for product input and low base product price.

I still think fantasy wardrobe is the wrong name, fantasy is a lingerie/sex shop not ex catalogue

14. gemd89

1,979 202
    Im rubbish at thinking of a name!

All the simple ones are taken!

Gemma

15. gemd89

1,979 202
    Working on getting a contact number on the front page and also looking at the web name to describe what we actually do

Gemma

16. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    That is WHAT I have been saying Dune and now Gemma is going to think of another name for the general clobber I am going to suggest she have 3.

Fantasy Fasions for the really trendy party gear and costumes and the " GSpot Boutique" for lingerie. Now that is HOT or what.. :D

Not sure about a name for the cataloque gear though.

I do know a funny story about those returns however. My sister moved into a new house on the final phase of a small housing estate Chelsmford and found out that rather than wait for the builders to erect the fence in the rear garden the neighbour had ordered about a dozen panels from a club book. Needless to say when the builder did turn up a week later the neighbour sent the fencing back.

Is that any worse I ask myself that sending all those dresses back when the party is over smelling of cheap perfume and smelly armpits.:eek:

17. oldeagleeye

3,987 1,220
    Go back to the future young lady. What were the most succssful general stores of all time called. You know the ones that used to sell everything from leather belts and boots to a roll of Irish lace so the settlers wife could make her pinny and under garments. The Trading Post of course.

How about Gemmas Trading Post or even more trendy Shack. GTS.

After all ex-cat means postal returns.

18. gemd89

1,979 202
    Does anyone know a website that includes some good product descritpions on clothing that actually sell the items?

I wonder if there would be someone out there to outsource to do this

Gemma

19. dunerider

999 155
    Now I am confused....

What do you want to outsource?

product input, drop shipping?

20. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,090 1,699
    Try Ebay. You will see lengthy descriptions of the clothing sold there.

In fact, I don't know if you do sell on Ebay at all but listing there is all the education you need to write a good description of your products on your own site.

Posted: Dec 16, 2009 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.