Why not my site?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by gemd89, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gemd89

gemd89 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,979 202
    A more colourful homepage on its way
    Gemma

Posted: Dec 11, 2009 By: gemd89 Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  2. DealSwift

DealSwift UKBF Newcomer Free Member

50 1
    Hi Gemma, add me on skype or msn. I think I can help you out.

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 By: DealSwift Member since: Jul 14, 2009
  3. davidman

davidman UKBF Newcomer Free Member

42 6
    I've just looked at your site and I think it still needs a little bit more work. It's important for you to keep your costs down just now so personally, I'd work on making the photos look consistent.

This would be the cheapest (though time consuming) way of improving the site I'd say.

Find a room or place in your house that you can control the lighting, mount your camera on a tripod and take your photos yourself.

Lighting is the most important. Then once you have the photos, edit them in an art package. www.gimp.org is the one I used.

If you're so inclined, you can put all the photos through a script which will process them all in the same way (adjust contrast, brightness, colour correction, sharpen etc).

Then you'll need to crop them to all the SAME size. One thing that causes your design/layout to look odd is the different sized images you currently have. That and the low resolution images.

Once all your images look the same you'll see a dramatic improvement.

http://i.imagehost.org/0685/pinkdresslarge.png

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 By: davidman Member since: Oct 21, 2009
  4. gemd89

1,979 202
    Working on the image consistency! I do have photoshop but dont have a camera but they are getting improved very soon.

Thanks, have also changed the FAQ and DELIVERY page information and also added a proper address and not a PO BOX.

Gemma

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 By: gemd89 Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  5. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Sorry I haven't waded through the whole thread and sorry if this has been mentioned but for me it is instantly offputting to see such a jumble of products.

Decide what you want to sell and stick to it, however tempting it may be to sell everything.

On initial glance it looks like fancy dress but then what is a poorly photgraphed baby gro doing on the home page? It makes the site look like an Ebay shop of miscellaneous stuff.

The you have a latte knit dress with a blurred photo which is much longer than the others. You need to keep the homepage neat and tidy & don't list anything until the photos are perfect.

There is no fancy dress at all on the home page except along the top.

Now I am really wondering what this site is all about and would have left a long time ago if I hadn't been looking specifically.

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  6. gemd89

1,979 202
    Its leaning towards a fashion outlet ex chainstore clothing site now! It is being redesigned to reflect that and the image consistency is changing and also the product descriptions i am working on.

Gemma

7. deniser

deniser UKBF Legend Free Member

8,104 1,702
    Oh in that case it makes sense except the name and the fancy dress pics across the top.

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 By: deniser Member since: Jun 3, 2008
  8. gemd89

1,979 202
    They are going soon the images on the top, fantasy wardrobe - means whatever you want in your wardrobe - whatever clothing for whatever occasion.

Gemma

9. oldeagleeye

oldeagleeye UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,987 1,220
    Frankly Gemma there is only one way to describe your site - boring and that latte dress my grandmother wouldn't have worn yet it pokes you in the eye and the quality of the pic along with most others appaling. Why.

In your business those costumes have stunning colours. What about this for just one example. What's more as far as your saying that your pricing is cheaper can you compete with £26 quid for the whole outfit.

Sorry OP you don't seem to offer the range or the quaility of other sites in this market have and it will take a tad more than tinkering with the web site site. I suggest that you first of all you talk to people. Have you not thought of asking members their favourite super hero of whther they would like to dress up a Lancelot or the Black Knight. There may well be a few Dallas girls out there for those Sue Ellen dresses but I rather suspect Queen Quen in velour might go down well too then go back to the wholesalers and get some decent pics. Robert.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 12, 2009
    Posted: Dec 12, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  10. gemd89

1,979 202
    I get it - the pictures need sorting! Working on that!

Gemma

11. Bruvver

Bruvver UKBF Newcomer Free Member

259 72
    Keep it up Gemma, looks like you are in it for the long run.
    I have a site and am in the same position as you, thought it would be a case of sitting back and waiting for sales, it's not.
    Some of the advice here is spot on as far as I am concerned, it is a case of biting the bullet and rethinking.
    Asking other people's opinion sometimes makes you see things that you were too close to see yourself.
    Good luck

I am off now to post my own site for critical appraisal, and hope I get as good advice as you have been given.

Posted: Dec 12, 2009 By: Bruvver Member since: Jun 6, 2009
  12. gemd89

1,979 202
    Yes i been been giving some great advice and im taking it all onboard, just takes time thats all

Gemma

13. gemd89

1,979 202
    All the images have been sorted now and consistent, just working on product descriptions now

Gemma

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 By: gemd89 Member since: Oct 3, 2009
  14. Bruvver

Bruvver UKBF Newcomer Free Member

259 72
    It's looking better to me, but I am an amatuer.
    One small thing, don't know if it's my browser, but there is a strange looking capital A with an accent, germanic looking thing on the descriptions.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 By: Bruvver Member since: Jun 6, 2009
  15. gemd89

1,979 202
    Will take a look at that, thanks

It is being totally redesigned and worked on all this week, so should all be complete by friday

Gemma

16. davidman

davidman UKBF Newcomer Free Member

42 6
    Not sure if it's the same thing you're seeing but I'm seeing an apostrophe, a closing bracket followed by a semi-colon.

');

That to me looks like the tail end of a PHP line or SQL query.

It seems to be in all your product pages so one of your templates has probably had a bit of a slip-up somewhere.

Then handbag pictures are looking great.

Posted: Dec 14, 2009 By: davidman Member since: Oct 21, 2009
  17. gemd89

1,979 202
    Ive checked 3 products and none of that there on descriptions

Gemma

18. gemd89

1,979 202
    Which specific product?

Gemma

19. oldeagleeye

oldeagleeye UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,987 1,220
    Hi Gemma.

You seem to be committing an awful lot of time to updating your web site. Much of it no doubt driven by advice from members. Those members however are not in your shoes and however helpful they may be trying to be - however good some of the advice I rather suspect it will all be wasted as will your own efforts.

The reason is that with all the running around - and yes in some cases trying to please people no doubt you still haven't decided it seems what business you want to be in.

Is this supposed to be a fun fantasy dress site. Well all I can say is that we are at the height of the party season. I repeat party. You know and even I remember. Fun - tinsel - glam and a bit of dressing up.

Yet what do you have on your front page. It all about boots. Black boots - brown boots - buckle boots - furry boots and yet more upcoming boots. Oh and a few handbags too. I wouldn't mind if the front page made a tiny concession to the festive and party season but there isn't even a pair of red boots for poor old Santa.:D

Seriously. Where did all those come from. Why is it when you click on the Party Link all you get is a choice of Stag or Hen Night & then only a choice of some rather tacky trimmings. You can of course eventually find the fancy dress pages under men or women but why not under Party. You seem to have got all your links around the wrong way. Easily fixed but I go back to square one.

What business do you want to be in. At the moment you seem to be sitting on the fence unable to decide if it's a Fantasy Dress & Party site of one flogging Ex-Catalogue gear and I think that you have to decide which.

The reason is that with either you are going to have to spend a lot of time on sourcing and marketing and if you try to do that with 2 entirely different product rangers your pull yourself apart.

You will also confuse the hell out of the public visiting your web site especially the young girlie party poppers looking for a funky party dress. They want to have fun. The last thing they want to see are baggy maternity dresses staring them in the face.:eek:

I yeally do suggest Gemma that you forget all about rushing that site looking for a quick fix or to please members. Take a week off and go shopping and work on the site during that boring period twix boxing day and the new year.

Robert

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 By: oldeagleeye Member since: Jul 16, 2008
  20. gemd89

1,979 202
    It is a fashion site that sells clothing/handbags and cosmetics!

Thats the direction im going in and all the changes are going to reflect that

Gemma

Posted: Dec 15, 2009 By: gemd89 Member since: Oct 3, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.