Why don't local book shops exploit the "click and collect" trend?

Discussion in 'Retail' started by columbo, Oct 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. columbo

columbo UKBF Regular Free Member

332 72
    Why don't local book shops exploit the "click and collect" trend?

In the last 3 years, Amazon seem to have lost the run of themselves. Apart from a few
    best-sellers titles buying books on Amazon has become an extremely expensive habit.

Local book sellers now seem to offer cheaper books But I cannot understand whey they don't exploit the "click and collect" trend more. It would seems so easy to implement also. Shop subscribes to a payment portal. Customer pays up-front. Bookshop orders titles.

Or am I missing something?

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 By: columbo Member since: Jan 27, 2013
  2. Gordon - Commercial Finance

Gordon - Commercial Finance UKBF Ace Free Member

1,633 456
    Yes I think you might be missing something. The beauty of buying books online is that you don't need to go anywhere, they come to you. The beauty of going to a bookstore is that you can wander round and browse and see what they have. Speak to staff who are knowledgeable about their products and can give recommendations. Maybe have a coffee while you think about what you're going to buy.
    Unfortunately, what you are suggesting combines the worst of both worlds - in my very humble opinion of course.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 By: Gordon - Commercial Finance Member since: Jun 26, 2017
  3. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

17,431 1,963
    There are booksellers (and indeed other shops too) who do offer click and collect. Have been for years.

What you are describing was pretty common 30 years ago. You go in the shop (or ring them). Order book and pay deposit or full amount. Shop orders title.
    3 months later book is in and you go collect it.
    The local bookshop I used at the time made half his money from people ordering.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  4. columbo

columbo UKBF Regular Free Member

332 72
    I hear you!

I know. But walk past a local bookshop on any high street and very rarely will you see a sign on the windows "Order your books here - cheaper than Amazon" . They are missing a trick me thinks.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 By: columbo Member since: Jan 27, 2013
  5. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,394 1,759
    The problem with that is that it's not only Amazon they would be undercutting it's themselves.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  6. Darren C

Darren C Guest

0 0
    They may be but I've read dozens of books this year that I would never walked into a bookshop for, or asked them to order it.

I wouldn't know most of the books existed because I found them purely by chance and, more importantly, I have found reading books on Kindle is a lot more convenient me since I am not in the UK that often and never liked going into book shops much anyway.

The last time I visited a book shop they had that promotion where I could either pay full price for the book I wanted or I could buy it with some other I didn't want and get that book free - or something like that?

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 By: Darren C Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  7. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

3,895 876
    Most bookshops will have a book you order, even if its not in stock, ready to be collected next day.

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  8. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

9,394 1,759
    Last books I bought were a set of 29 paperbacks for £23 on eBay :)

Posted: Oct 24, 2017 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  9. Mr D

17,431 1,963
    Generally because they don't undercut amazon. In some cases amazon sell cheaper than the bookshop can make a profit on.

10. Mr D

17,431 1,963
    Some of which they order on amazon. Have sold many a book to bookshops.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.