why do the British NOT buy on-line? PLEASE HELP!!!

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by chrisaldred, Aug 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrisaldred

chrisaldred UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    dear all!

I am a researcher at the UMIST School of Management, in the U.K.. I am researching British people's attitudes to Internet Shopping, and the reasons why they do not buy on-line. This is important research because we are not buying on-line and online retail spending is a fraction of total retail sales. As a comparison, i also aim to investigate the factors that inhibit Chinese people from buying on the Internet. This would provide useful results for global marketers.

However, i do not have enough responses from UK nationals and i desperately need more. Please help me and click on to the WWW link below and complete my on-line questionnaire. For every completed questionnaire, i will donate 10p to the charity OXFAM. I will also post my research findings in this forum for everyone to read. IF anyone wishes to have more details of my research or wishes to request more in-depth research findings, then please e-mail me: [email protected]

here's the WWW link to my questionnaire:

http://pjl.sm.umist.ac.uk/jlquest/chris/chrisEnglish.aspx

Kind regards,

Christopher Aldred
    MSc Student
    School of Management
    UMIST
    UK

Posted: Aug 22, 2004 By: chrisaldred Member since: Aug 22, 2004
  2. gary

gary UKBF Newcomer Free Member

807 3
    An interesting study I'm sure, but who says Britons aren't buying online? There are a lot of very successful online shops, and the number is increasing every year. Of course online sales will not be at the same level as high street sales - everyone has access to high street shops and you don't need any special equipment (like a PC) or knowledge (like how to use it!) to shop on the high street, but not everyone has internet access, or the knowledge to use it, so naturally the number of people able to shop online is far smaller than those able to shop on the high street.

Be interesting to see the results of your research though as if you get enough respondents it could be quite useful.

Gary

Posted: Aug 22, 2004 By: gary Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  3. Thais

Thais UKBF Newcomer Free Member

328 0
    I purchase a lot online and I know dozens of others that do so. The ones that do, as has been stated above, have PCs at home & know how to use them, they understand that the internet is a window to the world.

However, the vast majority of people whom I know simply do not have a home computer. Some work in offices & say they've had quite enough of computers there - they don't want to even think about them when they get home! Others have one in the house, but it has been bought 'for the kids to use' & the adults rarely go near it. In the UK, most people over about 40 are simply scared stiff & very suspicious of them. I myself only learned to use a computer four years ago, :oops: and it was my son who helped me overcome the fear I had of them!! Sounds sad, but many many folks have this irrational 'fear'! You can't keep me off it now! :D

However, I know what you're saying - although my site has facility to pay simply & securely online, at least 50% of purchasers prefer to send a cheque!! :roll:

As to the Chinese, I have no experience of that. My only educated guess is that although the affluence of the New China is much trumpeteed, the vast majority of the population still does not have two yuans to rub together, much less buy themselves a computer.

Posted: Aug 22, 2004 By: Thais Member since: Aug 29, 2003
  4. Thais

328 0
    Just had a look at your questionnaire - does life stop at 39????

:evil:

Posted: Aug 23, 2004 By: Thais Member since: Aug 29, 2003
  5. Guest

0 0
    Have you tried asking the same question over at www.a4uforum.co.uk . There are alot of people who run online shops and even more that promote online shops there. They'd know as much as anyone about the state of the UK e-commerce market.

Posted: Aug 23, 2004 By: Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  6. chrisaldred

7 0
    Thais, life does not stop at 39. In the interests of capturing data from a homogeneous sample of respondents, i am not accepting responses from anyone aged over 39. Of course, this is nothing personal and does not display any lack of appreciation of how important the 39+ market is. Simply, it is done for methodological reasons and nothing more.

Also, stats contradict what u claim about people not being on-line or having access to computers. In the major industrialised nations of the world (UK, US, Japan, Germany, France) the trend is that around half are Internet users, and a third are ACTIVE Internet users (i.e. access the Internet at least once a month). There are therefore a great deal of people who use the Internet regularly. However, internet spending is meagre, something like 1/8 of these users have not made a purchase on-line, and a disturbing amount of those who attempt an on-line purchase "abandon their shopping cart". Given these statistics, we can reasonably assert that, despite the plethora of advantages shopping on the Internet afford, people are significantly deterred from making on-line purchases. The issue is WHY? Internet skill (or self-efficacy) plays a role in mediating other variables like security and privacy. In other words, the less skill a consumer has in using the Internet, the greater their perception of RISK in interacting with on-line retailers. There are a number of issues in Internet shopping that deter consumers from purchasing on-line, and i have named but a couple. All these significant factors have not been plucked by myself from no where. They are the findings of academic research!!!

Also, Thais, with regard to your comment about people in their 40s being scared stiff purchasing on-line, market research shows that, rather, this market comprise the INNOVATORS in relation to shopping on-line. They have more time, more cash, and are not inhibited from making internet purchases because they can not feel, hear, or smell online offerings (A MAJOR DRAWBACK OF ONLINE RETAILING). Rather, this group of consumers, with their experience, know what they like and don't need to be able to physically inspect products prior to purchase. They are less browsers than shoppers who leave less to impulse and make planned purchases for their own favourite brands.........

Furthermore, regarding the comment about the Chinese and them not having two yuans to rub together - this is quite naive. This is true for the majority, but for a massive market, Internet use is a way of life (and you dont need to own a PC to use the Internet......there has been a proliferation in recents years of internet cafes in China). There are millions of people in China (especially in the major cities of Beijing, Shanghai and Guangzhou) who use the Internet regularly and, therefore, are a potential market for domestic and international e-tailers.

Anyway, thanks for the comments and support from my fellow forum members. They are greatly appreciated!!!!

Kind regards,

Christopher

Posted: Aug 23, 2004 By: chrisaldred Member since: Aug 22, 2004
  7. Thais

328 0
    Oh well, if the mighty academic research proves me wrong at every turn, I won't bother saying any more :roll:

Posted: Aug 23, 2004 By: Thais Member since: Aug 29, 2003
  8. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,504 598
    The reason you are not getting as many completed surveys is that your survey is very difficult to use, I gave up about 8 mins in.

Another major question I would raise is, what makes you think UK online shops want to send goods to China anyway?

I don't deny that there is a huge Chinese market but I regret to say that in my experience of shipping goods to the Far east fraudulent orders outweighed honest ones by, let me see.....98%. Therefore I no longer ship to the Far East (as well as Africa, the Eastern Block and some other places) because it simply isn't worth it.

Since ceasing to send goods to these countries our instances of charge backs has become virtually nil.

Posted: Aug 24, 2004 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  9. chrisaldred

7 0
    the questionnaire is long granted, but 8 minutes isnt long. However, sometimes, academic research has to trade output for brevity, and risk low response rate. Nature of the beast unfortunately.

What makes me think UK companies want to send goods to China? About 1 billion people is the answer to that. And it isnt just UK companies im talking about...im talking about international companies. But, they arent necessarily sending them.....many have the goods in China to begin with, so they arent shipping them.

chris

Posted: Aug 24, 2004 By: chrisaldred Member since: Aug 22, 2004
  10. SillyJokes

SillyJokes UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4,504 598
    It's not that your survey takes a long time - you clearly state it will take 15 mins, but in my opinion it is poorly laid out, gave me eye ache and at 8 mins I simply couldn't face trying to complete it, guessing that it would probably take longer than 15 mins.

There are lots of sites which could help you create an easy to use online survey. A quick google produced this site:

http://createsurvey.com/

where you can lay out your survey in a more user friendly manner but still include all the questions you need to ask.

Point taken about the population of China and companies that do deal with them. What I'm saying is that I can do without the high potential for fraud and companies like WorldPay who actively dissuade their merchants from sending goods to certain countries will need to to convinced as well.

Posted: Aug 24, 2004 By: SillyJokes Member since: Jul 26, 2004
  11. chrisaldred

7 0
    point taken about the design of the questionnaire. I had no experience in web design, and all the on-line help that u mentioned asked for money. My research is postgraduate and unfunded, which made doing anything fancy unfeasible. It is true though that design can help improve response rate. However, to be fair, given the lack of funding, i think i did a decent job of it!!!

Regards China, global companies need to be getting in there early and learning about the Chinese and what makes them tick. Late comers will not be able to compete. So, this culture (which u mentioned) of avoiding dealing with the Chinese is not good for globals, and will, alas, be left behind by companies who did take the risks (and probably fell foul too!), but, as a result, developed an understanding of the Chinese (their needs, wants, preferences, attitudes etc....). Such an understanding isnt something that can gained over night......................WHAT A SHAME!!!

12. gary

gary UKBF Newcomer Free Member

807 3
    In the real world, it doesn't matter how many Chinese there are, as long as companies get too many fraudulent orders from there (or any other country), they won't sell to those countries. It's that simple.

Gary

Posted: Aug 24, 2004 By: gary Member since: Feb 9, 2003
  13. chrisaldred

7 0
    ur probably right unfortunately, but i wonder if those companies (esp. the international corporations) with long-term vision are willing to forfeit the losses in the name of increased future growth that wouldnt be possible without having taken the risks and suffering the losses. Anyway....i think i am gradually taking this topic off track.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.