Who Wants To Come To Prison With Me?

Discussion in 'East of England' started by HazelC, Aug 10, 2016.

1. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

@Toby Willows Most of us know someone who has been attacked, sexually assaulted or robbed or have been so ourselves.

All the research shows the best form of rehabilitation is actually to enable a former prisoner to get their life back on track on the outside by having a stable home, family life and a job or education or training.

http://open.justice.gov.uk/reoffending/prisons/

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  2. Toby Willows

Toby Willows UKBF Regular Free Member

Didn't say my believe was right, but we'll never know. All I do know is prisons are filling up faster than they can cope with, which suggests they aren't a deterrent to many. So you have to ask why this is.

Hazel also mentions accountants and university lecturers, I'm going to presume these two groups are almost exclusively from a stable family home with good education and employment. So we can't blame criminal activity solely on upbringing or social disadvantage.

I'm going to leave it there as I only wanted to make my first post, but Hazel came back making it personal so I felt the need to defend my views.

Thanks for the links, I will read them when on a PC, to difficult on a phone! :)

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  3. HazelC

HazelC UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

Hi Toby,

Thank you for your response and of course everyone is entitled to their own opinions. I am just a voluntary business that has set this event up. It is not my choice to call them residents, that is what prison calls them and I am asked to call them. I do feel you are personally attacking me in regards to this, I just uploaded a post and asked if any businesses wanted to get involved and clearly you do not.

I have made no assumptions about you, I presume this was not being directed at me?

And, as a side line, if it is of interest to you I have been burgled twice - once before I volunteered in prison and once since I have been volunteering.

I hope you have a nice weekend Toby and thank you for your opinion, of which was not requested.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: HazelC Member since: Sep 7, 2013
  4. HazelC

I agree @[email protected] it did come across that way, but as we content writers know, sometimes things are not read as they were written.

5. HazelC

I am very sorry you felt I made it personal, I definitely didn't think that was the case, but actually a general response to the email feeling that maybe you believed what was said in the media and hadn't been to prison yourself - as this is the view of many. Definitely not a personal response but as I have just said to @[email protected] things can often be read differently to how they were written.

I was not saying accountants and university lecturers are exclusively from stable backgrounds but instead I was trying to get across that it could happen to anyone, I am sorry this was not clear.

Now please can we move on and just focus on what the post was and why it was written? Pretty Please?

6. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

Are not the long term unemployed more disserving, especially the under 25's

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  7. ethical PR

It shouldn't be an either/or I believe. We should support everyone in society who can, to be in work, study or training or volunteering.

For example one of the groups that receive little support are over 50's and those with disabilities (young people actually have a lot of schemes and support ie Prince's Trust, apprenticeships, young entrepreneur schemes, financial incentives to employers to take them on etc)

Posted: Aug 13, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  8. ethical PR

Hazel one more thought, could you go and make some presentations to your local business networking organisations such as Chamber of Commerce breakfasts to encourage other businesses to get involved. I am sure the business pages of your local papers would be interested as well as local business magazines.

Posted: Aug 13, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  9. HazelC

There may be more deserving long term unemployed, but as I volunteer at Peterborough Prison this is an event I have organised there. This isn't favouritism - I have just found a place in which I can help.

Posted: Aug 15, 2016 By: HazelC Member since: Sep 7, 2013
  10. HazelC

Hiya,

We tried newspapers (local) last year but no joy, will try again this year though. Chamber of Commerce were of no help last year and we already talk about it at networking events - thanks for your great ideas though!

Hazel.

11. cjd

cjd UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

Hi Hazel, can't help I'm afraid - too far away, but just wanted to congratulate you for trying and wish you luck with it.

We know that desistance and rehabilitation is the only way to improve society long term and that prison does nothing to help.

Take no notice of the Daily Wail brigade....they're part of the problem.

Colin

Posted: Aug 15, 2016 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
  12. ethical PR

Oh dear what a shame - try the news desk if the business editors aren't interested. I think your local BBC should also find it of interest.

Posted: Aug 15, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
  13. HazelC

Thank you very much :) Your kind words are VERY welcome! lol

14. HazelC

Thanks very much, will give local BBC a try! - no interest from news editors either.

15. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Full Member

Posted: Sep 10, 2016 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  16. STDFR33

STDFR33 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

Good luck, @HazelC

We live in a society that believes that prison is a form of rehabilitation and not punishment.

Many in prison never had a chance from being born because they were born into the 'wrong country'. I think we should encourage them to change their lifestyles and the people around them.

The long term unemployed already get enough support. Those leaving prison just add to those numbers, with no confidence to do anything other than return to a life of crime. We should be looking at ways to help those that want to earn an honest living after they are released.

I personally think that it is a great idea, and if it helps just one person, then it is worthwhile.

Sorry Hazel, I'm miles away, but you have my support nonetheless.

Posted: Sep 11, 2016 By: STDFR33 Member since: Aug 7, 2016
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  17. HazelC

Thanks to all those who shared words of support, I have been lucky enough to have over 75 sign up for the event so far, including the NHS, Marriott Hotels, Argos, Tesco and many small and start up businesses too so luckily there has been support in the community again.

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 By: HazelC Member since: Sep 7, 2013
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  18. myfairworld

myfairworld UKBF Regular Free Member

Congratulations HazelC, so nice to see someone trying to do something about problems instead of just moaning.

Posted: Sep 29, 2016 By: myfairworld Member since: May 14, 2015
  19. HazelC

Thanks very much - 1st event (this year) was a success and we have the same hopes for tomorrow.

Posted: Oct 13, 2016 By: HazelC Member since: Sep 7, 2013
  20. ethical PR

Great news Hazel well done.

Posted: Oct 14, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009