Who Wants To Come To Prison With Me?

Discussion in 'East of England' started by HazelC, Aug 10, 2016.

1. HazelC

HazelC UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

For the 2nd (and 3rd) time I am running a Careers Awareness Day in Peterborough Prison and need some businesses who would be keen to come along and join us there.

The event is run like speed networking - each business has 4 minutes with a resident, before the resident moves on and speaks to the next business. The idea of the event is to motivate and inspire residents and give them ideas for their future - while shifting the vision of businesses that all residents are bad people.

Please see this blog for full details;

http://www.creativecontent.company/VisionShiftIsReturning.html

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 By: HazelC Member since: Sep 7, 2013
  2. Scott@KarmaContent

[email protected] UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

They call them 'residents' now?

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 By: [email protected] Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  3. TODonnell

TODonnell UKBF Ace Full Member

[rant mode on]

Ssshhh, someone will actually take up the idea. We live in an era where everyone is a special snowflake and even rapists' crimes can be excused by their bad childhood.

Reality is too much for the Pampered Generation; it must be neutered by altering language.

[/rant mode off]

Posted: Aug 10, 2016 By: TODonnell Member since: Sep 23, 2011
  4. HazelC

Nope - that's just what they are called at Peterborough Prison, I don't know about anywhere else as this is the only prison I run that project. Shall I presume that wasn't an offer to help @[email protected] ?

Don't worry @adamchy - there will be no snowflakes or rapists at this event... shall I also take that as a No from yourself?

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 By: HazelC Member since: Sep 7, 2013
  5. Toby Willows

Toby Willows UKBF Regular Free Member

It's all arse-about-face. We shouldn't be easing criminals back into society, they certainly shouldn't be called residents. Prison should be so intolerable that rehabilitation comes in the form of prisoners not wanting to return. Obviously there will be more than a few who thrive in prison, in which case it's the best place for them.

My rant over. Sorry Hazel that's a no as well!

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  6. HazelC

I can tell by your reply that you have never been in a prison, but instead read the media that says they all have x-boxes and sky tv and amazing 3 course meals three times a day and they sit around and do nothing all day? I can assure you that is not the case - prison life is NOT easy, and by running rehabilitation projects like this (which I do on a voluntary basis) I am helping people when they come out of prison. If you met the prisoners you would find that you may even relate top some of them - many are accountants or university lecturers who have had their heads turned by a large amount of money and a back handed deal.

Please can we stop with the rants and just leave this post as a place to say if you will help - as per the original post, as opposed to falling in to disagreements and debates?

7. myfairworld

myfairworld UKBF Regular Free Member

I can't help with this event Hazel but it might be feasible for me next time around. Peterborough is not too bad for me to get to. I live in Bedford and wonder if they do anything similar at 'our' prison. Just wanted to say that I think it is a great idea and many congrats to you for organising it. By the way in the course of my training for a previous career I visited Strangeways and also Broadmoor (okay Broadmoor is a hospital but it is a secure unit and from a visitors point of view feels exactly like a prison or maybe even more so). People who think prison is a nice cushy number should try visiting one - it is not something you forget. Your detractors might want to meditate on the business success of one Mr Timpson despite his habit of giving ex-prisoners a second chance in his key cutting and shoe repair empire.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 By: myfairworld Member since: May 14, 2015
  8. HazelC

Thank you so much! As far as I am aware they do not, as I set it up - but that doesn't mean I was the first in the world to do it, or they hadn't heard about last years event and decided to try it themselves?

Very good to finally have some sanity on the matter - and yes, Mr Timpson is a shining example... and also a big supporter of the event, along with Marriott Hotels, Argos and the large shopping centre in Peterborough.

Sorry you can't come this time, hopefully you'll be free next year?

9. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Big Shot Full Member

"Shining" example? I like it :)

Peterborough is at least a couple of hours away for me, on a very good traffic day, so I don't qualify as a local business. But I wish the event all success.

Posted: Aug 11, 2016 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  10. HazelC

11. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

It's a great idea...one of the biggest barriers to prisoners going on the straight and narrow is that they are unable to get a job and therefore can't support a home and it becomes a vicious circle.

If I was up your way, I would be happy to help. All sorts of people end up in prison for all sorts of reasons. @Toby Willows and @adamchy @[email protected] - why be so intolerant?

Why wouldn't we want ex-prisoners who have done their time, to have a chance to rebuild their lives and become valued members of society rather than persistent repeat offenders who are a drain on society. Do you really think mass murderers and rapists will be attending this event :(

I am a volunteer host for young homeless people. One of them had been put in prison for car related crime at a young age (five years before). While in prison he had learned to read and write properly and got a host of qualifications and turned his life around. However he ended up living in his car on the streets, because no-one would give him a job - because they had the same sort of intolerant attitude.

Hazel - speak to local government and the NHS HR teams in your area, they should be willing to help and are often the largest employers in a patch.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
    • List
  12. Scott@KarmaContent

[email protected] UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

There was absolutely nothing intolerant about what I said, so I'd appreciate it if you didn't start casting aspersions. I simply asked a question.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: [email protected] Member since: Jun 24, 2014
  13. HazelC

Thanks very much @ethical PR - I feel I am no longer fighting against the world on my own! lol

Yes, local government involved - hard to get help from NHS but not given up yet

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: HazelC Member since: Sep 7, 2013
  14. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

What value do you give going in and talking to these people? What is it that you can tell them that will help them turn their life around? Genuine question by the way, I'm not having a dig. :)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  15. HazelC

Hi @AllUpHere - a very long winded answers but I have just been sent it by an attendee and it means I can copy and paste from an email instead of answering the question myself! (Yes, I am being lazy). Hope it helps answer your question?

What made you sign up for VisionShift last year?

I realise just how lucky I am to have a secure and happy life which has put me in a good position to run a business and hopefully run it well. Life hasn’t been as good to others as youngsters – they maybe don’t have the security of a family or have to deal with other issues which sets them off on a wrong path in life. I try and see positive in everything and if I can inspire and support others to turn their lives around then I will do what I can to help.

What did you get out of the event last year / what was the best thing about it?

I found the day very fulfilling. I found most residents wanted to make changes to their lives and they had some great ideas. Being released from Prison really must be a turning point for them – a real now or never moment to either return to their former life and potentially return to Prison. Alternatively if we can all do our bit to nurture, support and believe in them, it may just be the catalyst to become a different, better person. I enjoyed meeting all kinds of people, each with their own story, and I felt that they just wanted people to believe in them and help them to find a way to make some changes. Of course, this wasn’t everyone I met, but I was surprised and inspired that it was the majority.

Why have you signed up for Visionshift this year?

I found the whole day very inspiring and interesting and it was very enjoyable to speak with the residents about my own business and to be able to offer some hope to them that people believed in them and would help them. I can’t wait to be involved again.

Why should other businesses sign up to VisionShift?

Taking time out from your own business, no matter how busy you are, will not only help others – it will actually inspire you. It was a really positive experience in lots of different ways.

16. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

Hi @HazelC . That's written from the perspective of someone like you, and what they get out of it. I was more interested in what you think you offer the residents, and what benefits they see from it.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  17. HazelC

My mistake @AllUpHere - I can go by last years event and on the resident side of things 7 of the companies offered jobs to one or more of the residents on release, while other businesses create day release jobs where the residents were able to gain experience on release.

A lot of the residents gained in confidence and found a direction when they previously weren't sure what to do. It's the same as school, a teacher can tell you 'stuff' but it only becomes 'real' when a 'real person' tells you - someone that is actually doing it and this is very much the case in Peterborough Prison and for that event.

Some of the residents had given up hope in themselves and felt they were of no use to the community and the community didn't want them - so this showed the residents that that wasn't the case.

I hope that has answered your question better?

18. HazelC

As an add on to your original point @AllUpHere - we are not going in there to turn their life around, only they can do that. We (the businesses) are just giving the inspiration to turn their own lives round, when they are not sure what they want to do on release we are giving them ideas and recommending the training to complete while in prison so they can follow that route on release.

19. Toby Willows

Toby Willows UKBF Regular Free Member

They are inmates or prisoners, they are not residents. You are not helping your "prison is hard" cause by referring to them in this manner, makes it sound more like a hotel, retirement home or suburb rather than the penal establishment it actually is.

And thank you for making assumptions about me, seems a popular trait on this forum, shame you were wrong. And yes I should hope prison is hard, it's certainly not meant to be easy, and no I have no sympathy for criminals who are serving their time. If you've have ever (or just know someone who has) been burgled, mugged, attacked, scammed etc you might have a different view.

I stand by my believe that the best form of rehabilitation is the criminal's desire to never go back to prison because it is intolerable.

Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: Toby Willows Member since: Jun 20, 2016
  20. ethical PR

ethical PR UKBF Legend Free Member

Your comment came across as being scathing for using the term 'residents'- dangers of the written word on a forum and all that. Apologies if that wasn't the way you meant it to come across.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2016
    Posted: Aug 12, 2016 By: ethical PR Member since: Apr 19, 2009