Who to vote for at the general election

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Duke Fame, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KDMINX

KDMINX UKBF Newcomer Free Member

659 101
    If you don't like how that particular article was written then read the 1000 or so other articles that make the same case.

I chose to use it as my example because it was first of thousands in google, not because that particular article illustrated my point best.

I’m happy to disagree with people, that’s what makes this particular post so interesting. But you keep disagreeing not with opinion but with established fact!

You’re making yourself look stupid!

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 By: KDMINX Member since: Jan 6, 2010
  2. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    I'm not saying anything about liking or not liking. I'm saying it contains nothing that backs up the claim you made.

Where? Where in the article did it do that?

Where's the evidence for these "facts"? You've produced one article where no-one made the same claim as you.

I'm sure I will look stupid... as soon as you provide a quote from that article that proves Scotland would have been worse off than Iceland.

I wait with baited breath. :D

Steve

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  3. yuzi87

yuzi87 UKBF Contributor Free Member

72 7
    I Know 4 muslim households personally one with 8 kids another with 6 and 2 with 5 kids

now my figures of average of 5 may not be 100% but that wasn't the point, the point was that muslim familys have more kids than english familys

Quoted from statistics.gov.org

"Households headed by a Muslim are more likely than other households to contain children. Around two thirds (63 per cent) contained at least one dependent child in 2001, compared with around a quarter of Jewish (25 per cent) and Christian (27 per cent) households.

Muslim households also contained the highest number of children. A quarter (25 per cent) of Muslim households contained three or more dependent children, compared with 14 per cent of Sikh, 7 per cent of Hindu, and 5 per cent of Christian households."

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 By: yuzi87 Member since: Jan 6, 2010
  4. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,643
    25% of all pregnancies in the UK are from immigrants.Or as the government puts it not born in the UK.

Earl

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
    Posted: Jan 20, 2010 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  5. directmarketingadvice

10,942 3,530
    Oh, I know what the point is.

It's not the first time I've encountered negative racial stereotyping.

Steve

6. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,862 2,621
    Been going on for years:

[​IMG]

I used to read Private Eye back then.

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  7. yuzi87

72 7
    So when i say the average muslim family has more children than the average english family im suddenly racial stereotyping?

I guess if i said the average bangladeshi family has less money than the average american family that would be racial sterotyping as well?

your getting confused with "Fact" something you can't seem to accept

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 By: yuzi87 Member since: Jan 6, 2010
  8. Geoff T

Geoff T UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,599 1,262
    Ta Stephen - agree with this 100%, they don't actually bother anymore (not read pased this post so soz if already mentioned!!)

Neither do they issue a manifesto - remember them??? WHAT are they actually proposing to do about the issues at hand?

Can't REMEMBER the last time I saw a candidate - or party - put in writing what they stood for...

Missing a business plan you think?

If THEY can't be @rsed to talk to me, convince me they have a plan, why should I vote for 'em? Networking opportunity lost!

Stuff them - and their £500!

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 By: Geoff T Member since: Apr 30, 2009
  9. KDMINX

659 101
    Stephen, choose any mainstream news organisation, type into their search box “Scotland Iceland” and I am sure you will come up with a story about how Scotland would have been another Iceland had it been devolved.

You really are choosing the wrong battles to fight and in the process making yourself look very stupid indeed.

10. directmarketingadvice

10,942 3,530
    Just a couple of things:

(1) You said "Scotland would now be worse off than Iceland". Now you seem to want to change your tune. Why's that? Failed to find any evidence for the first claim? :eek:

(2) I don't know why you're "sure" I'd find an article that says that. You've clearly been looking for one and failed miserably. :rolleyes:

So, instead of trying to distract from that, why don't you give a link to one of these supposedly "easy to find" articles? :D

You keep saying this, but we both know it's just to distract from your failure to back up the claim you made.

You can keep saying it, but I'd be surprised if you're fooling anyone.

Let me re-extend the invitation I made to you earlier:

Where's the quote?

BTW, I don't know if you know this, but many browsers allow you to search for a word within a page.

If you click on your link and type "Iceland", you'll find 3 instances of the word. From there, it should be easy for you to find your evidence... or, rather, it would be, if the evidence existed.

(which, unfortunately for you, it doesn't)

Steve

PS My name's not "stephen". I'm probably wasting my time correcting you, given you seem to have so much trouble reading words on a page...

11. Geoff T

Geoff T UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

5,599 1,262
    Apologies - maybe the "Stephen" came after my reply to a (much) previous post to someone with a similar name.

Sorry if this caused confusion to those concerned in the recent 'troubles'...

I'll leave you to get your handbags out - us 'bullies' love to watch the trouble we cause...:rolleyes:

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 By: Geoff T Member since: Apr 30, 2009
  12. Duke Fame

Duke Fame UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

813 87
    Gibbo, you are splitting hairs. Alex Samond has many a time stated he would base his economic strategy on the Iceland / Ireland model. THe basis of which economy would have been worse would very much depend on when Scotland went it alone. If it left the support of the UK in say late 2007, there is very much the chance that Scotland's economy woul dhave failed to a greater extent that Iceland. If it was say 2000, then it's hard to say, so it was a flippant remark that really means that if Scotland went it alone, their economy would have been clucked.

That is based on a lot of assumptions, the currency would become a problem very early on. If SNP pressed with their high spend policy, tax would rise and bearing in mind the UK is not far away and there is a common language (just) the brain drain would cause a huge problem exasperating the tax revenue problems.

It's very easy to be rude and argumentitve to people demanding that you want proof, all economic models suggest diminishing tax revenues, migration of middle to high earners, the need for high taxes. Of course, the SNP could move away from the high spending policy but the benefits of that will take a long time to come through. Rather than shout 'prove it' to everyone, why not think through your point and put a decent case against the post.

There is so much to put in place if the sweaties go it alone. Currency, tax & spend, defence, infrastructure, railways even TV & radio

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 By: Duke Fame Member since: Jan 28, 2008
  13. directmarketingadvice

10,942 3,530
    Actually, I'm challenging something that's utter nonsense.

(which is why KDMINX can't come up with any evidence to support his comment)

I assumed people meant what they wrote, rather than writing a lot of nonsense they can't back up.

Maybe your idea of debate involves making up "facts" to support an argument. Having read your posts, I can't say I'm surprised.

No wonder you're so offended by someone asking for the source of these "facts".

Steve

14. Duke Fame

Duke Fame UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

813 87
    The point is, you knew it was impossible to offer facts as the good KDMINX was simply recalling commentary on a hypothetical scenario. No one has facts in a sypothetical scenario but they can apply accepted theory to the SNP policy in order to come to a conclusion. As I said, it very much depends on the timing of independance but it could conceivably been that independant Scotland's economy could have been worse than Iceland's, it could have been better but nevertheless, it would have been in the clarts.

You could have applied that theory yourself but it seems to me that you couldn't do so but thought you could win the little battle on a technicality. Either way, under the SNP in an independant Scotland, the economy would be very bleak.

Posted: Jan 20, 2010 By: Duke Fame Member since: Jan 28, 2008
  15. KDMINX

659 101
    What he said!

Steve, you cannot keep using your demand for proof as a smoke screen for not having any repost yourself. You also lose credibility by criticising the detail of someone else's post and ignoring the main point.

The point is: prior to the banking crisis the SNP held up Iceland as a model economy. The banking crisis has hit Scotland's banks harder than most. An independent Scotland would not have had the resources to bail out the system.

Put simply had Scotland been independent they would have been in a very sticky situation!

Worse than Iceland because: Geography would make it very easy for educated and professional Scots to leave. Currency and Interest rates (Pound or Euro) would be beyond the control of the Scots thus depriving them of powerful tools to help fix their economy (and further helping people leave). That together with the SNPs already unsustainable spending habits would leave Scotland well and truly screwed and IN MY OPINION IN A WORSE POSITION THAN ICELAND!

16. directmarketingadvice

10,942 3,530
    Why is it a smokescreen to ask for proof?

You claimed it's a fact and that there's proof. Your "proof" was an article that said nothing of the sort.

I don't get it. I thought you said there were hundreds of articles? Why are oyu unable to provide just one?

Ahhh. Now it's an "opinion", not a "fact".

Dear, oh dear.

What an embarrasing climbdown.

Steve

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  17. KDMINX

659 101
    God you're an IDIOT. I was commenting on a hypothetical situation:

IF SCOTLAND HAD BEEN FULLY DEVOLVED AT THE TIME OF THE BANKING CRISIS

There is no proof because Scotland wasn’t and its banks were bailed out by UK (English) tax payers. There cannot possibly be proof of something that hasn’t happened.

PLEASE STOP ASKING FOR PROOF AND ADDRESS THE AGRUEMENT

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 By: KDMINX Member since: Jan 6, 2010
  18. yuzi87

72 7
    I'm not even part of this debate

http://news.scotsman.com/opinion/-What-if--Scotland.4583396.jp

Asked what would have happened had Scotland been independent when this crisis hit, he said: "HBOS would have gone bust and RBS would have followed five days later. The Scottish state simply wouldn't have enough money to rescue two banks of that size as Iceland has done. As it would have been a Scottish problem rather than a British one – they'd both have gone to the wall."

and

We'd be exactly like Iceland right now. Skint, bankrupt and friendless. In fact worse, since we couldn't even ask our nearest neighbour for help. Wake up Scotland! Salmonds figures just don't add up, they never did and they never will. The SNP are a joke party with joke politics. Open your eyes and see what is happening to countries like Iceland and Norway. It's a global problem!

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 By: yuzi87 Member since: Jan 6, 2010
  19. directmarketingadvice

10,942 3,530
    I guess I must have misunderstood your comment:

"If you don't like how that particular article was written then read the 1000 or so other articles that make the same case.

I chose to use it as my example because it was first of thousands in google, not because that particular article illustrated my point best.

I’m happy to disagree with people, that’s what makes this particular post so interesting. But you keep disagreeing not with opinion but with established fact!"

(my emphasis)

Where are the articles that make this case? Just one out of the "1000 or so" would be fine.

You can keep calling me names, but I doubt you're fooling anyone.

Scotland wouldn't have been "worse than Iceland". That's why no-one - other than you and your friend - is claiming that.

Steve

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  20. yuzi87

72 7
    I just posted quotes from an article saying the same thing that scotland would of been worse of than iceland. Just give it up, it doesn't even matter because it never ****en happened so stop asking for proof.

And im not KDMINX's friend i don't know the guy, im just more than happy to help him, as all you seem to do is ask people for proof about everything they say.

I guess when you was younger and your parents said santa had come you asked them for proof as well?

Posted: Jan 21, 2010 By: yuzi87 Member since: Jan 6, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.