General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Who to vote for at the general election

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Duke Fame, Jan 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Duke Fame

Duke Fame UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

813 87
    OK as businessfolk, who should we be voting for this time round?

I'm not a natural Tory but I can't possibly endure another term of Labour under Brown, Lib dems say a lot of sense but beyond Vince, they are a bit nuts. So it looks like Cameron then.

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 By: Duke Fame Member since: Jan 28, 2008
  2. benjamin_c

benjamin_c UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

865 112
    Arn't torys all about business and enterprise? so surely Cameron should get the vote?

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 By: benjamin_c Member since: Jun 3, 2009
  3. WebServerHost

WebServerHost UKBF Newcomer Free Member

34 3
    i don't know.. labour selling knight hoods.. that's entrepreneurial.. no?

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 By: WebServerHost Member since: Jul 12, 2007
  4. Beachcomber

Beachcomber UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,730 3,012
    Abolish government and make me king.

I'll look after you all. ;)

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 By: Beachcomber Member since: Apr 29, 2009
  5. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    what about another party? the big three are the same..you do know that don't you? :eek: they are..the same party essentially.

instead of not voting at all..just vote for someone totally different, who knows, you might finish 3rd and knock out the Libs..which is different.

Posted: Jan 16, 2010 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  6. paultnl

paultnl UKBF Newcomer Full Member

840 176
    I would like to vote for someone competant but I am not given that option

Last edited: Jan 16, 2010
    Posted: Jan 16, 2010 By: paultnl Member since: Jan 23, 2009
  7. Williams lester

Williams lester UKBF Newcomer Full Member

2,251 343
    As I am based in Wales I always vote Plaid Cymru, one day we will get enough power to have our own parliament and not be controlled by London!

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: Williams lester Member since: Oct 16, 2008
  8. telemax

telemax UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,295 732
    Think back to the "financial crisis", when all the banks were collapsing. How did the Tories react? As I remember pretty badly, jumping on one bandwagon to the next. I'm also old enough to remember the Tories manipulating interest rates before elections to create vote winning "Booms". For that reason the Tories don't get my vote.

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: telemax Member since: Feb 14, 2006
  9. Stephen Berry

Stephen Berry UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,754 283
    Over the years I have put a tick in every 'colour' box - including all major parties - plus green, monster raving looney and independent. The only one I would never vote for would be whatever racist party is evident - currently BNP (they are not British and not National in my eyes), but I am old enough to remember the National Front.

For me - criteria 1 - have they ever done a proper job? No guarantee of success - but career politicians and those who have either just been lawyers or local government officials don't interest me.

Criteria 2 - are they actually a local candidate with some local interest and emotional incentive to represent the people who elected them or do they just parachute in to get on the Westminster gravy train?

Criteria 3 - if they ever come to my door (only ever happened once) I'd ask a 'dividing question' - more to see whether they'd answer it or give a vague woffly answer. Answer = credibility, even if I don't agree with their anser. Woffle = dumb politician. Examples would be: What is your stance on abortion? Do you support selective education? What is the role of faith schools? Should there be a mandatory life sentence for murder? Do you think that the existance of 52 police forces in the UK fosters local effectiveness or breeds inefficiency?
    I may, now, even ask - will you have a second home? (we are commuter land)

But it is all superfluous - I live in one of the safest Tory seats in the country, and will probably vote monster raving loony anyway.

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: Stephen Berry Member since: Jan 3, 2007
  10. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

9,985 2,667
    And jolly good luck to you for that aspiration.

Those of us in the third world country of England can only dream of such things.

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  11. An Oasis

An Oasis UKBF Newcomer Full Member

9,901 1,684
    To vote Labour would be to show that you do not follow the world of politics and do not realise that Labour are not only a very dangerous party BUT traitors, a number of whom should be imprisoned and tortured at length. I will of course happily supervise FOC.

They’ve had 12 years and failed miserably and in so many ways, they will hopefully implode as a party and spend many years in the wilderness.

The Libs will not get a large enough majority and have to spend their time doing deals…which is a horrible way of running a government.

The Cons lead by Mr PotatoHead should get your vote BUT you should remember to kick each party out after one term, until there is a superior alternative.

Put a party together... most people would vote for a three legged cabbage* if it looked OK.

* not that I'm saying you look like a three legged cabbage.:p

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: An Oasis Member since: Oct 3, 2006
  12. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    I'll vote for whoever is most likely to beat Alistair Darling. That'll be either SNP or Tory.*

Steve

* So, it'll be either the separatist party or the unionist party - clearly not much ideology behind this... unless "I despise Alistair Darling" counts as an ideology. :D

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
  13. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    And therein lies the problem,we are usually not left with a choice of people who are qualified to do the job.

Illustrated by the fact that one minute a politician may be minister of transport and the next responsible for the NHS.:eek:

A fundamental knowledge of most business's is required for success,but it seems not when it comes to running the larget business in the UK.

Allied to the general public not knowing what these baboons are waffling on about,but seem more interested in whether they have a nice smile.:D

Earl

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  14. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    I voted Labour all my life until Blair took us into Iraq and since then I have either voted LibDems or Greens. The achievements of various Labour Governments should not be underestimated I feel - the setting up of the NHS, OU, National Giro (although this was later privatised by the Tories), the resistance by Wilson to take us into Vietnam (despite enormous pressure he was under), the equalisation of the age of consent and introduction of Civil Partnerships, to name but a few. I can think of only one comparable achievement by a Tory minister, although this was done under a coalition government - Butler's 1944 Education Act.

Economically there seems little to choose between the main parties - both are as incompetent as each other. We are becoming more like USA all the time, in which parties reward their benefactors.

In the absence of any viable alternative I would like to see either another coalition government, or at least no party with an overall majority, but how can this be achieved?
    I would say the most likely way is to vote LibDem, in the hope they will get enough seats to hold the balance of power.

Barrie

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  15. Bri

Bri UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,045 599
    Interesting article on the ONE Show this week, highlighting Dave's possible rise to power. It was pointed out by one journalist that if Tory's get in there will be immediately 18 multi millionaires in Parliament and asked would they know what the man in the street is wanting....no, they would be too far removed. Bori's dad was interviewed as well and asked if he was POSH, he replied I certainly am not despite my great great grandfather was George 2.

Whoever gets in it will still be a government.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2010
    Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: Bri Member since: Oct 9, 2008
  16. telemax

telemax UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,295 732
    Unfortunately my vote won't make a damn bit of difference, I live in David Cameron's constituency, whether I vote monster raving looney, or labour it won't get me anywhere. The outcome is assured in these parts.

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: telemax Member since: Feb 14, 2006
  17. vvaannmmaann

vvaannmmaann UKBF Legend Free Member

13,109 3,369
    Anyone for UKIP?

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: vvaannmmaann Member since: Nov 6, 2007
  18. Duke Fame

Duke Fame UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

813 87
    I saw that show, it concluded that really few people cared about backgroung. For me, it's a good thing to have successful people in parliament, it wouldmake a change from the carreer politicians and failures we have now. For instance, why have a trade union guy in the government, these people are excusers of the work-shy and lazy.

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: Duke Fame Member since: Jan 28, 2008
  19. Beachcomber

Beachcomber UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6,730 3,012
    We could always propose the system of government featured in one of L Sprague De Camp's novels.

They had a kingdom where a random member of the public was selected to rule absolutely for 5 years.

At the end of his / her reign they were publicly executed and another ruler chosen.

I'm sure the end of reign ceremony would be popular for our current leaders. ;)

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: Beachcomber Member since: Apr 29, 2009
  20. directmarketingadvice

directmarketingadvice UKBF Legend Free Member

10,942 3,530
    I see no reason why someone who went to Eton shouldn't be PM. Or chancellor. Or any other job in government.

But, to have so many of them from Eton - and from similar backgrounds - suggests that they're deliberately fishing in a very shallow gene pool.

And, instead of "government of the people, by the people, for the people", it's more like "government of the people, by a privileged elite, for... we don't know".

So I'm not impressed.

(and, from the PR front, it's an idiotic decision by Cameron)

Prior to the vote for Scottish devolution, I was on a bus and there was a shop steward telling his mate that he'd be put up by Labour as a candidate and bragging about all the money he'd get - salary, expenses, backhanders.

That guy was an utter piece of ****.

Unfortunately, there seem to be quite a few like that in the unions. More interested in filling their boots than helping their members.

Steve

Posted: Jan 17, 2010 By: directmarketingadvice Member since: Aug 2, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.