Who Do I Call?

Discussion in 'Tradespeople' started by locutus, Sep 16, 2020.

1. locutus

locutus UKBF Regular Free Member

184 4
    If I rent a new shop, it's completely empty, needs new walls, floors, ceilings, etc. Who do I call for this?

Would I call an architect? Shop fitters?

I already have done a basic plan of how I would the new space to look like, with some very basic costings, but I haven't specified what flooring or walling I want, how many toilets, how the electrics are, etc.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 By: locutus Member since: Jun 12, 2015
  2. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,637 1,332
    Carpenter, Plumber, Electrician, Plasterer . . . . .to start with.

Sounds an expensive project . . . . .

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  3. Clinton

Clinton UKBF Legend Full Member

5,159 2,333
    @Mark T Jones should be able to put you in touch with the right people (and arrange finance if you need it).

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 By: Clinton Member since: Jan 17, 2010
  4. locutus

locutus UKBF Regular Free Member

184 4
    There must be integrated solutions, where they can do the bulk of everything, rather than me having to arrange 10 contractors, and have them work all in-sync?!

It will be an expensive project, I would estimate around £50k for construction and equipment costs. It would be a very unique concept.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 By: locutus Member since: Jun 12, 2015
  5. MY OFFICE IN CHINA

MY OFFICE IN CHINA UKBF Legend Full Member

5,637 1,332
    There are, but expensive.

Perhaps that's what you need for this project.

Rule of thumb - double your projected costs for set-up.

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 By: MY OFFICE IN CHINA Member since: Nov 16, 2011
  6. intheTRADE

intheTRADE UKBF Regular Free Member

370 133
    There are endless shopfitters across the UK who will manage the full project and a quick Google search will bring results up on your area.

Just remember to do your due diligence on them checking their past reviews, images of previous projects they have completed and that they have the right accreditation's.

If you are anywhere north of Leeds give me a shout and I can recommend two very reputable companies

Posted: Sep 16, 2020 By: intheTRADE Member since: Apr 14, 2019
  7. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,355 2,181
    I know a lot of fit-out companies and would be happy to direct you to a couple with a clear understanding of your needs

What you absolutely need is someone with project management skills - these things have a tendency to run way over time & budget.

Posted: Sep 17, 2020 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  8. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,140 1,389
    firstly, contact your Landlord and make sure they're happy with your changes, upgrades etc.... last thing you want to do is spend money only for them to kick off.

Fit out companies are a first point of call, depending on the shop location... I may know someone who can do everything for you.

Posted: Sep 18, 2020 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  9. oli150194

oli150194 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

16 1
    Sounds like you want an all inclusive service instead of multiple contractors doing different jobs so i would recommend a shop fitters as mentioned seems to be your best option.

Posted: Oct 8, 2020 By: oli150194 Member since: Sep 9, 2020
  10. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly UKBF Ace Free Member

1,857 334
    If you employ a regular builder, he's more likely to plaster the walls and leave you a nice finish to cover up with wall panelling, shop fittings etc.,

If you employ a shopfitter, he's more likely to leave the walls and use the same panelling to hide the rough bits.

Posted: Oct 26, 2020 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  11. Root 66 Woodshop

5,140 1,389
    Not necessarily... I know a guy who does shop fitting and he goes above and beyond for all his clients... if they need plastering he gets it done, if they need electrical sockets in specific places he gets on with it prior to plastering... any boarding that is done is to help flatten the wall rather than cover up the rough bits...

Posted: Oct 26, 2020 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  12. Lucan Unlordly

1,857 334
    You've somehow changed my positive into a negative! ;)

I wasn't suggesting the shopfitter would skimp on the job, rather that a flat brick wall that would accept wall panelling may not need plastering, as it's going to be covered anyway. Kerching $$$$!

Of course it all comes down to the instructions handed out and what the required finish is.

PS: Same applies for false ceilings :)

Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    Posted: Oct 26, 2020 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  13. Root 66 Woodshop

5,140 1,389
    Not really... ;) Just saying that not all shop fitters would just cover a bad wall by boarding it out... boarding it out doesn't always do a favour... or make the job any cheaper to be honest, I mean... £7.00 a bag of plaster... two days to let it dry before it can be either painted or fixed too... not worth not to do it if it needs it... :)

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  14. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,652 4,526
    I can't keep it in any longer.................................

Ghostbusters!!

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  15. Lucan Unlordly

1,857 334
    Get away with you! :eek:2 days for a quick skim in a heated environment but not if it's got to have a bonding coat first and the heatings not working!!
    2+ days delay in opening, etc.,
    Plasterers round here are getting £250 a day. ;)

Posted: Oct 27, 2020 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  16. Root 66 Woodshop

5,140 1,389
    who mentioned heated environment?

Who mentioned a quick skim?

2+ days delay in opening? eh...

Not me... ;)

If you wanted a quote to do a specific job rather than give a random idea of something that's not overly expensive to complete before any boarding I would have done with a little bit more detail, but considering it was a brief description... well nuff said. ;)

£250 a day? I guess it all depends on your location... we charge £150.00 a day that's for one plasterer and one labourer doing the mix and prep work. :)

Posted: Oct 28, 2020 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  17. Lucan Unlordly

1,857 334
    You are stating best case scenario, i'm being more realistic ;)

Bonding coat and top coat in winter in an unheated building by a plasterer doing unnecessary work on a wall that's going to be covered will cost money and take time.

I'm in the beautiful south! I've not paid that but kitchen fitter, £250 a day, Chippies & Sparkies, £200+ and plasterers, i'm told are now on £250 as well. Prices that make programmes like 'Homes Under the Hammer' refurbs laughable.

Posted: Oct 28, 2020 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  18. Root 66 Woodshop

5,140 1,389
    No I'm not... stating best case scenario at all... bonding coat and top coat in winter, takes time yes... but we don't exactly charge while it's drying... that's you quoting worse case scenario... and we only do what is necessary - as I said, there's no point in attempting to fix to plaster on a wall if it's shot, it's a complete waste of time.

We've just re-plastered and re-boarded, decorated, built divider walls and new skirt for just over £500 for a shop.

Our sparkie is installing a new distribution board, making all new connections on a full re-wire for a small shop say 400sq ft for £450.00 that includes 2 fused spurs, one for an alarm, one for a roller shutter, 8 double switched sockets, Lighting and switches.

Our Joiner completed a whole outdoor bar for a pub/restaurant in Stockport for £10,000 - everyone else was quoting £30,000 + we also used re-claimed wood... it all looks brand new.

Our Locksmiths only charge for what we do, £60 call out + parts...

We've just done a full bathroom re-fit and kitchen ceiling for £3000 - that was converting it from a granny walk in shower room to a bath, separate shower, re-tiling, re-plumbing and electrics, then re-joisting the floor above the kitchen ceiling had to be done due to the bath leaking over x amount of years.

Our maintenance side charges £150.00 per day... We're not looking to put the price up for a while either... as I said, I guess it all depends on were about's in the UK you are.

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  19. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend Free Member

12,652 4,526
    Yea but you're up North!

All you fellas need is enough to buy a pint of Newquay Brown Ale, and you're happy!!!

:p:p

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  20. Root 66 Woodshop

5,140 1,389
    Some of us up ere don't drink pal ;)

Posted: Oct 29, 2020 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011