White Box Broadband Provider

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Parrot Hosting, Jul 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parrot Hosting

Parrot Hosting UKBF Enthusiast

441 87
    I'm looking for a white box broadband provider to take the place of one that I have that has been getting very uncompetitive. Does anyone here have anyone to recommend?

Posted: Jul 1, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  2. syed2011

syed2011 Banned

20 2
    Have you google searched ?

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 By: syed2011 Member since: Jul 6, 2010
  3. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    I 'could' google search but I asked on here because rather than go to someone totally unknown I thought it would be useful to either find a company on here that does whitebox broadband, or someone who uses one and can recommend them.

I gather you have nothing to contribute?

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  4. british steve

british steve UKBF Legend

1,504 303
    Do you mean white label broadband that you can resell to your users? If so I have a couple of contacts I can give you.

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 By: british steve Member since: Oct 1, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  5. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    Steve, that would be brilliant, I would much rather work off a referral than cold.

you can either PM me or send my email

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  6. astutiumRob

astutiumRob Verified Business ✔️

1,312 241
    How many lines/connections ?
    Will you handle the billing or do you want that done too ?

Posted: Jul 2, 2011 By: astutiumRob Member since: May 5, 2004
  7. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    Rob

I don't have any idea about the amount of connections yet (none of my existing clients will be migrated) and the biggest problems I have had with my current provider is having no control over billing and very little communication at the backend. Before that I had a provider that was expensive but my billing platform sucked and I lost a lot of money.

I now have a billing platform that can handle everything the way I want it so finally want to manage my own customers again and start growing the business.

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  8. NIXIT

NIXIT UKBF Newcomer

16 2
    Have you considered coms.com?

Posted: Jul 3, 2011 By: NIXIT Member since: Aug 30, 2010
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  9. lmartin87

lmartin87 UKBF Contributor

87 19
    Last edited: Jul 4, 2011
    Posted: Jul 4, 2011 By: lmartin87 Member since: Apr 23, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    NIXIT, thanks but they are VOIP and commission-based and not white box.

Gradwell want £500 upfront and a £5k monthly minimum (I have invested a few of those £500's and its a suckerpunch for a crap golden handcuff.)

Plus.net - I don't think they have the range for business products (need to check into that though).

Thanks all :)

Posted: Jul 4, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  11. british steve

1,504 303
    Avoid any company that wants to charge any upfront fees! for setting you up "On the System"

Posted: Jul 4, 2011 By: british steve Member since: Oct 1, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  12. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    Anyone got any view on EntaNet? (besides them being expensive?)

Posted: Jul 5, 2011 By: Parrot Hosting Member since: Jan 7, 2011
  13. british steve

1,504 303
    Most expensive provider in the UK I think.

Do you have any preference on which network/products you sell?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    Posted: Jul 5, 2011 By: british steve Member since: Oct 1, 2009
  14. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    I want to sell business products, i'm quite interested in offering VOIP but I'm no expert so would like a good support portal and up to now I have concentrated on the home market but, this has ended up costing me big time (although the biggest debts by far have come from business users).

The only problem with home/residential is they are more cost conscious and demanding in terms of front end support and the usage always falls foul of the throttling of the mainstream providers specially with 1player.

I no longer have the wifi hotspots so can afford to look at a more versatile offerings.

15. british steve

1,504 303
    Forget home users, they want it all for nothing or free and then phone up support and ***** like F*** when it doesn't work. Its not work working your ass off for 50p per month per customer or even less.

Business users are much better, most happy to pay for a better quality of service although it still suprises me just how many people will run their business using a home user broadband connection. We credit check all our customers, if they dont pass the credit check we ask for a deposit and set a strict credit limit, if they refuse to pay a deposit then we wont deal with them. We have very strict credit control in place and we enforce it.

What happened to your wifi hotspots? how many did you have?

Last edited: Jul 5, 2011
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Parrot Hosting

441 87
    At the peak I had over 25 hotspot sites but, in the end it was down to about 5, sold off two good sites and then closed down the others. I had a server pack up in a powercut and the repair work was going to cost £2k to get it back up and running again.. I couldn't be bothered so cut my losses.

I think I must be mad to go back into running broadband again but, it somehow feels right for what I want to do even though it won't be a big operation. The problem with it in the past was on commission you have no control and no margin and on whitebox/label you have control of some parts and not others and the margins are better but, invariably the squeeze inevitably comes at both ends.

I think I have a better take on the product/market now so think I'm ready for another run at it. I have some leads to follow up this week as soon as I get a chance ;)

17. cjd

cjd Verified Business ✔️

15,526 3,143
    To be Frank I wouldn't bother, there's no money in broadband for small retailers. There's sod all in it for the wholesalers if truth be known.

The main players can only make money by bundling telephony and TV and anything else they can think of. Most actually sell below wholesale cost which gives the general impression that broadband is cheap so anyone that tries to sell at even a small profit looks to have silly prices.

On top of that, the products are undifferentiated and miss-sold - some expensive business products are as bad as their cheap ones and you're not in control of what is offered. Neither are you in control of support, which is a horror story in itself.

You're better off just taking a referral fee.

Posted: Jul 5, 2011 By: cjd Member since: Nov 23, 2005
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  18. british steve

1,504 303
    Done right, and with a carefully picked wholesale partner there is still a fair bit of money to be made in running an ISP if you aim it at business customers.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.