Which UK web hosting is the best ?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Akzham, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lolleo

Lolleo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

158 21
    Thanks all for input. I have decided to go with Vidahost

Posted: Jan 21, 2014 By: Lolleo Member since: May 5, 2013
  2. Isla6

Isla6 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 4
    iPage is one of the best hosting providers available at the moment and I am not sure if it will be a problem of your UK based website if you have an iPage hosting. But if you are really looking for a UK based hosting then you can try either one of the following.

webhost.uk.net
    eukhost.com

Posted: Jan 22, 2014 By: Isla6 Member since: Oct 21, 2013
  3. adamz

adamz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

30 8
    I like Open Mind Hosting.

Posted: Jan 22, 2014 By: adamz Member since: Feb 12, 2009
  4. davetee

davetee UKBF Contributor Free Member

49 2
    I've been using Unlimited Web Hosting for nearly a year now. Not had any major problems, but as I'm now beginning a new business I'm looking for something with a panel that's easier to use, faster and more reliable. I'm quite liking the idea of Vidahost. They seem to be reasonably priced and possibly easier to contact if there's an issue. I'd be interested to know of any downtime by their users on here.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2014
    Posted: Jan 24, 2014 By: davetee Member since: Dec 20, 2011
  5. exceedmedia

exceedmedia UKBF Contributor Free Member

58 24
    I would second that. 123-reg are a nightmare (as is most of the 1&1 group of products)

Yes, these guys are pretty good for mainstream hosting, and truly excellent for domain names

Posted: Jan 30, 2014 By: exceedmedia Member since: Apr 22, 2010
  6. adamz

adamz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

30 8
    Yes, avoid 123-reg. I've had a couple of clients who have had less than satisfactory service. I've not used them myself because of this - I'm only speaking from their experiences.

Posted: Jan 31, 2014 By: adamz Member since: Feb 12, 2009
  7. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,383 167
    123 reg is better when it comes to domain registration for co.uk domains, as they are one of largest domain registrar. Domain registration service does not requires the kind of support and day today service you require for website hosting , like monitoring servers, spamming, server security , customer support 24x7x365 days.
    Thats the reason its always good to search for specialized web hosting providers for hosting website rather than Domain registrars.

Posted: Feb 1, 2014 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  8. 10032012

10032012 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,965 324
    No. 123-reg avoid for hosting but as being a long term customer; 123-reg for domains isn't what it used to be. I would be careful of "auto renew"... I use paypal... I deleted the recurring subscription for safety, and set all the auto renew to Off... (I tripled checked...) on a batch of domains I was discontinuing.

I purchased a domain name (just one .co.uk) using paypal again... shock horror in a week, I get an email saying just over £200 has been taken for renewing the big batch of domain names I didn't want renewed. Took a long while for the refund and cancellation of the renewed domains when I complained.

Was a nightmare to explain to 123-reg that the payment subscription was only relevant to the latest domain purchased (i.e. if auto renew is enabled on that domain they can take payment). I say subscription, its like an recurring payment agreement. This wasn't my main concern however, the fact that the auto renew which was disabled on all the domains in question had simply been set to auto renew was downright wrong.

My account wasn't hacked/compromised, I downloaded the list of domains at the time which stated they weren't set to renew, and also printed out the control panel list for reference too. I didn't get an advanced warning email about them being renewed soon/shortly, so must have been a spur of the moment thing. I really disagree with such business practice.

I am planning to become a nominet member and UK domain registrar in the new tax year... we register and manage so many domains, I am sick of the tricks of the registrars out there. Having our own tag and moving them across seems the only way to tackle this issue.

Posted: Feb 1, 2014 By: 10032012 Member since: Mar 10, 2012
  9. xCubeHost

xCubeHost UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Theres that many around you couldent realy choose sometimes, espeically if you look on forums offers sections etc..

Posted: Feb 4, 2014 By: xCubeHost Member since: Oct 1, 2013
  10. delxyyy

delxyyy UKBF Contributor Free Member

28 6
    Try Storm Internet, i'm personally very satisfied with theme. Old school but support is great .

Posted: Feb 18, 2014 By: delxyyy Member since: Feb 18, 2014
  11. Cameronbailey

Cameronbailey UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Great discussion.. Really helpful to me. Choosing a web hosting service is a difficult task but you have made it somewhat simpler. Apart from just designing Website Content Writing is also as important and must be chosen wisely.This discussion is going to be of great help for maximum people who read this and try this. Thank you once again for wonderful piece of advice. :)

Posted: Feb 19, 2014 By: Cameronbailey Member since: Feb 19, 2014
  12. Mad Frog

Mad Frog UKBF Contributor Free Member

94 18
    Personally we use Clook Internet for all our hosting, their level of service and servers are both excellent and we've never had any issues with them.

Posted: Feb 28, 2014 By: Mad Frog Member since: Feb 28, 2014
  13. WebhostingUKCom

WebhostingUKCom UKBF Contributor Full Member

72 4
    Before selecting a hosting company, to shortlist few hosts is a good practice. Later you can also make a list of your priorities and accordingly test quality of server, speed of support response by each company & checking there reviews of different hosting forums or review sites, then select the one that fits your budget + gives all the features and support you are looking for , this will make sure you select the perfectly best provider as per your own requirement. :)

Posted: Mar 1, 2014 By: WebhostingUKCom Member since: Nov 23, 2012
  14. -Chris-

-Chris- UKBF Regular Free Member

214 6
    Stay well clear of unitedhosting, over the last few years they've farmed more and more of the support work out to countries where the people don't have English as a first language, and consequently, you find yourself spending a lot more time on a support ticket than you should have done.

Posted: Apr 28, 2017 By: -Chris- Member since: Oct 1, 2009
  15. jamoor

jamoor UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 0
    I use siteground to host wordpress and nexcess for my magento site. No complaints.

Posted: May 15, 2017 By: jamoor Member since: Jun 26, 2008
  16. Aron11

Aron11 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 1
    Hi there.
    I can recommend heartinternet uk
    Very fast servers, good quality costumer service, fair prices, long time on the market.
    Stay away from resellers as I did use one at the very beginning.

Posted: May 16, 2017 By: Aron11 Member since: May 16, 2017
  17. Grodo

Grodo UKBF Newcomer Free Member

4 0
    I'd say avoid Fasthosts and suggest looking at the Paragon Group (TSOHosts/Vidahost) or Iomart Group (EasySpace/Melbourne etc).

Posted: May 30, 2017 By: Grodo Member since: May 30, 2017
  18. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,383 167
    Including 123reg ,1and1 ,heartinternet (HEG Group ) are now purchased by Godaddy

Posted: May 30, 2017 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  19. UACU

UACU UKBF Contributor Full Member

54 4
    Recently I have moved from MediaTemple to SiteGround - it is cheaper and much better customer service. I love that they offer free SSL certificates.

Posted: Jun 3, 2017 By: UACU Member since: Jun 2, 2017
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.