Which UK web hosting is the best ?

Discussion in 'IT & Internet' started by Akzham, Mar 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basi Heating

Basi Heating UKBF Newcomer Full Member

8 0
    The type of hosting you need really depends on the amount of traffic your site gets. If your site is well established and gets thousands of visits a days then you should look at a dedicated server. For most small to medium enterprises shared hosting is fine. Try to find a hosting company with UK located servers if your primary target is UK traffic, this will reduce page load time. I would recommend either Pixel internet or Heart internet, both have UK servers, great up time, and offer hosting for around the £30 per year mark.

Posted: Oct 4, 2013 By: Basi Heating Member since: Sep 26, 2013
  2. JohnW_NetPay

JohnW_NetPay UKBF Newcomer Free Member

23 2
    I keep back ups of the sites on a weekly basis. Apart from SouthernMTB.co.uk they are all static advertising sites. SouthernMTB is a forum so the posts are updated frequently so I backup the databases on a regular basis.

Must say... never had a problem with Bluehost tho.... only that there is a time delay from putting a ticket in and them answering it...

Posted: Oct 4, 2013 By: JohnW_NetPay Member since: Aug 29, 2013
  3. Peanut Butter Man

Peanut Butter Man UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

597 64
    I have used Krystal hosting for years now, great service and pricing

Posted: Oct 4, 2013 By: Peanut Butter Man Member since: Jul 17, 2013
  4. OliverOnlinePrint

OliverOnlinePrint UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    We use fasthosts, never had any trouble with them . They are also doing a VM machine for less than £20 month if you wanted to get your hands dirty

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 By: OliverOnlinePrint Member since: Oct 6, 2013
  5. UKHostingCompany

UKHostingCompany UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    There is no such thing like best hosting company.
    You may seek for reliable, secure and responsive hosting. You may search for pure user opinions and experiences, but never pick a hosting company, because of their PR or marketing. If you read such articles, you will find out that all hosting companies in the world are the best.

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 By: UKHostingCompany Member since: Oct 6, 2013
  6. Chris from Mobus

Chris from Mobus UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 0
    What people say is true. It depends on what you require. Some hosts will charge the earth and give the earth, but if you only need to host a basic website, you don't need that. You need to first determine how you're going to use the hosting. Do you need a wordpress install? Can your host do this for you, or at least make it simple? How manny email accounts do you need? (Some hosts limit this). Once you know you're requirements, you'll know how low you can go in terms of cost.

Posted: Oct 6, 2013 By: Chris from Mobus Member since: Oct 5, 2013
  7. HostLoveUK

HostLoveUK UKBF Newcomer Full Member

186 23
    It is hard to identify the BEST web hosting company, as you can see from this forum, there are vast amounts! Everyone has different opinions therefore you should know what you want out of your host and expect from them... if they do not satisfy your requirements, move elsewhere ;)

Posted: Nov 6, 2013 By: HostLoveUK Member since: Nov 1, 2013
  8. scooke

scooke UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I had used ehosting for a VPS but due to budget constraints had to look for an alternative hosting company. I found 123Reg and they offered a far better server specification for less money than I was currently paying eHosting. When trying to stop the automatic renewal with eHosting I followed a text link (with arrow icon indicating ‘to jump to a page’) to the ‘Generate Order Renewal’ page, hoping to find an option to cancel this. As I had no intention of ordering I missed a small bit of confirmation text that told me I had placed an order to renew. This happened by just clicking a text link! No need for a ‘Confirm’ button when you can trap people like that is there?! Was there a confirmation by email with the order details, so I might recognise what had happened and cancel? No. Just an email the next day telling me the invoice has been paid.

Even then, I thought a quick call would correct this but wrong again. I ended up talking to their MD who agreed I placed the order unintentionally. Would they simply refund the money and cancel the order? Not a chance. Of course they will quote their terms and conditions and smugly know they are legally covered, but basic morals tell us not to keep what is not yours to keep. They are immoral and will grab your money at any opportunity.

To cap it all off, I have to stay with them for another year and move to a different server they offer. Knowing the size of the website is nearly 4gb they told me to backup and restore in Plesk. When I could not download the backup file, I was told they don’t allow downloads over 2GB! The reply to ‘well, could you not copy the one single backup file over for me then?’ was ‘Yes, but this be charged at £50+VAT/hr’.

Avoid eHosting there are many other hosting providers with much better deals and hopefully some that have morals.

Posted: Nov 12, 2013 By: scooke Member since: Mar 16, 2012
  9. pickaweb

pickaweb UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

519 43
    There are some great UK web hosting companies here in this forum.
    If you have a UK domain name being hosted in the USA may not be too much of an issue
    All the best.

Posted: Nov 13, 2013 By: pickaweb Member since: Oct 3, 2007
  10. Jmillar

Jmillar UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    We are based in Wiltshire and we use fastmonk.net. Very very good hosting and they have 15% off everything until the end of January. Just use code MONK15

Posted: Jan 11, 2014 By: Jmillar Member since: Jan 11, 2014
  11. webhostuk

webhostuk UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

1,383 167
    Its really sad to see you struggling to get you website backup, Which I feel you should get free of charge its not something 400GB data , its just 4 GB and 50GBP for 4 GB data backup is too much.
    We offer our customer paid R1soft back (optional) hardly for 2 GBP for 4 GB, addition we also offer free back. :) service which wont cost you a penny to download 4GB data.
    Anyways its time for you to look for alternative, regarding 123reg they are good for domain registration just recheck things for website hosting.

Posted: Jan 11, 2014 By: webhostuk Member since: Jul 26, 2009
  12. VoIP2Go

VoIP2Go UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10 1
    Pick anyone for hosting - just don't pick 123-reg, or 123-rage as they are known by many ex-Customers ;-)

I have been with daily.co.uk for a couple of years now and I'm very happy with them.

Posted: Jan 14, 2014 By: VoIP2Go Member since: Dec 23, 2013
  13. MattZS

MattZS UKBF Newcomer Free Member

44 4
    I can only comment on the two I have used in the UK. My personal blog is hosted with Vidahost and so far i've found the support good however i've hardly been in touch as the site is just a simple blog. My work use 123-reg who I seen to have to deal with frequently, thir support is okay, they will get the job done (eventually) however I find you get better results with their 'live chat'. The only other host i've used is namecheap who I found brilliant, howeer these are based in the UK.

Posted: Jan 17, 2014 By: MattZS Member since: Jan 17, 2014
  14. Homer J Simpson

Homer J Simpson Guest

0 0
    TSO have not failed me yet - and I'm a bit of a picky sod!

Posted: Jan 17, 2014 By: Homer J Simpson Member since: Jan 1, 1970
  15. theBagShoppe

theBagShoppe UKBF Contributor Free Member

33 1
    Very interesting question, I used 1&1 and enjoyed their service. I think they are quite competitive in pricing and customer service is very good as well.

Posted: Jan 19, 2014 By: theBagShoppe Member since: Nov 22, 2013
  16. petitionserver

petitionserver UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 0
    i use 123REG and i find it best PRICE/QUALITY product

Posted: Jan 19, 2014 By: petitionserver Member since: Jan 19, 2014
  17. ryedale

ryedale Contributor Full Member - Verified Business

1,547 368
    It depends what you want from your hosting really and what level support you need

You can go to one of the big guns like 123 or 1+1 and so on and pay a bit less but you're just a name on the screen to them

Or you can perhaps pay a bit more and go with a smaller company who can provide one to one support and know you and your business personally and how your site should be performing.

Posted: Jan 20, 2014 By: ryedale Member since: Dec 17, 2013
  18. MRLogodesign

MRLogodesign UKBF Newcomer Free Member

55 4
    i have had good experiences with "fasthosts"

Posted: Jan 20, 2014 By: MRLogodesign Member since: Jan 20, 2014
  19. Jolt.co.uk

Jolt.co.uk UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

500 77
    Even with the recent full day outage?

Matt

Posted: Jan 20, 2014 By: Jolt.co.uk Member since: Mar 1, 2011
  20. xCubeHost

xCubeHost UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Ive tryed a few, but decided to start my own, theres a few bad ones out there, just finding the good ones to the crap ones!

Posted: Jan 21, 2014 By: xCubeHost Member since: Oct 1, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.