Which ecommerce platform for my start up?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Kerrie1256, Feb 13, 2018.

1. Kerrie1256

Kerrie1256 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Im starting up an online poster store and want to choose the best platform from the start. I keep flirting between Shopify and square space and I’m really not sure what do decide and if I’m missing a trick! I would really appreciate advice please.

I’m a graphic designer and will be designing the prints. Some will be personalised too.

I have used magneto in the past to upload products to an online store and have also a bit of knowledge of Wordpress.

I need my products to have different size options where the price can automatically update once selected. I may also add frames or different materials. So through choosing the options the site needs to build the price. I’m not sure if this is quite complex or quite normal?

I also need an option to allow people to upload a file to me which should tag onto the job.

I can probably manage the orders manually initially but eventually would like them to automatically go through to print suppliers so would like to future proof to allowing this to happen.

Long term I want to develop a live preview where my customers can see the artwork live on screen and approve for print.

Advice appreciated!
    Posted: Feb 13, 2018 By: Kerrie1256 Member since: Feb 13, 2018
  2. MattCarson

MattCarson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

It seems that you keep knowledge about all the most popular CMS platforms. Also, those platforms which you used in past were good. So you don’t need any advice about which CMS you should use.
    Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: MattCarson Member since: Feb 6, 2018
  3. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

With some knowledge of WordPress why not consider WooCommerce? There is a large selection of Themes and plugins/extensions that should satisfy your requirements plus a vast community for support. If you choose a hosted self-build solution you are going to be much more restricted in terms of options. OpenCart is another open-source option supported by community with themes and extensions.

Posted: Feb 14, 2018 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  4. TowerBridge

TowerBridge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Definetly Shopify!
    Posted: Feb 15, 2018 By: TowerBridge Member since: Dec 2, 2015
  5. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

The best platform isn't the same for everyone but this is a question that's asked very often, so it's probably worth reading through some other threads about it.

All I'll say is that I've done a fair amount of research in to most of the popular platforms and found OpenCart to be one of the best.

You can try it out here:

Happy also to show you how to set up your own demo you can play with.
    Posted: Feb 15, 2018 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  6. LiveNetworks Ltd

LiveNetworks Ltd UKBF Regular Free Member

Wanted to shift away from Woocommerce myself. Installed Opencart to see how it went, got 30 minutes in and pages wouldn't load and nothing in the error logs. 15 years running web servers and it's the first time I've ever given up on a debug.
    Posted: Feb 15, 2018 By: LiveNetworks Ltd Member since: Jan 31, 2018
  7. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

Hmm, that's sounds very unusual. Have you ever set up Magento? What issues did you have with OpenCart? I've never had significant difficulty with an OpenCart install and I've installed it on various flavours of Linux, local host, and Windows Server with IIS. It really has been straight-forward in almost every case.
    Posted: Feb 15, 2018 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  8. NuBlue

NuBlue UKBF Ace Full Member

Magento and WooCommerce will do what you want and both applications are free in their basic forms, you just need hosting for them.

Shopify & Squarespace are also fine if they do what you want but if they don't, you'll have to wait until they decide whether to add your missing features. Magento and Wordpress are portable, you can take them to just about any hosts and you have access to all the data. If in the future you decide to move to another platform from either Shopify or Squarespace, being a hosted service, you don't have such access to the raw data to assist in rebuilding your site elsewhere.

What's the total number of products and their variations you'll be selling and how do you see that number growing in the future?
    Posted: Feb 15, 2018 By: NuBlue Member since: Oct 19, 2005
  9. csavulescu

csavulescu UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I would always recommend Wordpress running on WooCommerce. It's a quick deployment, really stable, low cost, plugins for most requirements available both paid and free and it's really popular - meaning you can find relatively low cost help quite easily.
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 16, 2018
    Posted: Feb 16, 2018 By: csavulescu Member since: Feb 16, 2018
  10. kev598

kev598 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

I think for your type of business Squarespace would be a better option. It has a creative community so that it would be perfect for marketing and templates are quite modern and minimalistic. But if you want a kinda traditional type of online store, you can choose Shopify or Magento Community edition for the beginning. The last one has an unlimited ability to customize, and seamless third-party integrations and the latest version has instant purchase ability.
    Posted: Feb 23, 2018 By: kev598 Member since: Sep 22, 2017
  11. Mixture

Mixture UKBF Contributor Full Member

I have used BigCommerce for the past 5 years from startup and have to say it is excellent. Easy to use and really user-friendly. They say that their merchants get 2x the sales of competing platforms which I would agree with from what I have experienced.
    Posted: Feb 27, 2018 By: Mixture Member since: Jan 12, 2012
  12. Mr Singh

Mr Singh UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Personally I've used EKM Powershop for four of my clients, never had any problems at all. Very easy o use and interface is very user friendly.
    Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Mr Singh Member since: Jan 30, 2018
  13. Industria

Industria UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Used Prestashop before which was good at the time and probably much improved since, however I'm now a fan of a Wordpress with a Woocommerce plugin. Additionally I'm impressed with the Divi3 theme as it makes website building easy. The Theme has to be purchased
    Posted: Feb 28, 2018 By: Industria Member since: Feb 25, 2018
  14. DariaKvitka

DariaKvitka UKBF Newcomer Free Member

Well, if you need an idea for a website, I recommend you to contact Optasy Drupal developer. They use Drupal for building websites, and there is a number of advantages. First of all, websites built with Drupal are really functional, SEO-friendly and highly secure. Optasy pays a lot of attention to details and they are always client-oriented. Moreover, Optasy contributes to Drupal developing new custom modules, thus allowing to build unique websites aimed at personal needs. Drupal eCommerce Solution is the best tool for those who want to launch online store. If we take a look at the main features of eCommerce, it's advantages seem to be obvious:

*Shopping cart and product 'look and feel' are themeable
    *Create taxes, charges and discounts
    *Subscriptions and recurring payments
    *Receive donations
    *Sell file downloads, shippable items, bundles or even on-the-fly customizable products *Inventory management
    *Payment and shipping plugins: PayPal, Authorize.net, eWAY, C.O.D. or you can roll your own.
    *Invoice generation and email notifications
    *Transaction and payment workflows
    *Reports and sales summaries
    *Customers can review their order history
    *Run an auction site
    Posted: Mar 1, 2018 By: DariaKvitka Member since: Mar 1, 2018
  15. dariadavis

dariadavis UKBF Newcomer Free Member

One more vote for Shopify
    Posted: Mar 2, 2018 By: dariadavis Member since: Mar 2, 2018