Which courier/shipping company do you use UK?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Noob Business Girl, Feb 15, 2021.

1. fc-ramon

fc-ramon UKBF Contributor Free Member

74 14
    right now not much point paying for signed for unless you need upto £50 cover. Since parcels are scanned on delivery and no signatures are being taken due to covid. Plus the click and drop label looks more professional in my opinion.

On another note I use royal mail and DHL for shipping and Collect+ by Yodel for returns. Its great as i can do store to store which is perfect for returns

Posted: Feb 16, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020
  2. Noob Business Girl

Noob Business Girl UKBF Contributor Free Member

82 1
    Just came back from the post office. I bought 1st class standard to speed up receiving the parcel but on the receipt I got, it doesn't have a reference number. Just says barcode number and when I track it on post office, it says "Sorry, we're currently unable to confirm the status of your item with reference [ref number here]. Please try again tomorrow."

A customer messaged me yesterday saying they waited 8 working days for their parcel and it still hasn't arrived. I posted 2nd class standard so no tracking either. The delays are so bad. Just hope the parcel turns up at some point this week.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: Noob Business Girl Member since: Jun 15, 2020
  3. fc-ramon

74 14
    1st / 2nd class standard parcels are not tracked. They are scanned on delivery like signed for is, therefore the tracking will show "Sorry, we're currently unable to confirm the status of your item with reference [ref number here]. Please try again tomorrow." until the item is delivered, a bit like signed for just has accepted at post office and delivered scans. If you want tracking, and parcels to get priority in the Royal Mail system send them tracked 48 / 24, since they're tracked there's less chance of delays on them compared to untracked parcels that can just sit in a mail centre for days on end without moving...

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020
  4. Noob Business Girl

82 1
    48 and 24 are so expensive though. :( If I used that, sometimes it would cost me more than the actual product price which makes no sense. I wonder if this is just the new normal? Also, why hasn't Royal Mail updated their website? This delivered is 2 - 3 days is not the case anymore, I had a customer who had to wait about 2.5 weeks for their parcel to arrive. Luckily, they were understanding but not everybody is that way.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: Noob Business Girl Member since: Jun 15, 2020
  5. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Full Member

3,801 732
    Hermes and DHL.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  6. fc-ramon

74 14
    I know, expensive and lack of actual delivery options (like redirect to neighbour) for 2Kg its alright but anything above that your getting into DPD and DHL prices. My main issue with tracked 24 /48 is that because the post office don't accept them the only way you can get proof of postage is if you pay an extra 72p and get a collection, since delivery offices don't give proof of postages...... Which is a load of bs. I'm waiting on a first class parcel and I wonder if it'll actually come on time or not...... But i've not had post for days now even though I know i'm expecting a ton of letters. Royal Mail are turning into Royal Fail :(

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020
  7. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,855 291
    We had one who was abrupt with everyone and used to complain that we only ever posted stuff and never bought anything in his shop.

They make a pittance from handling Post Office business. That's why they often cannot afford to employ anyone else to man the 'windows'.

Posted: Feb 17, 2021 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  8. Nico Albrecht

Nico Albrecht UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

934 206
    We do that for years with all low value stuff going out and some tracked stuff. Click and Drop, label printed and red post box right next to our office. Many years in no issues. Only issue I'd see is if you want to claim for loss. There is no scan in point only one at delivery ( service based )

For the rest of our relatival small postages ( 1 per day ) we use UPS on account. Since Brexit no issues at all. NI - rest of UK no issues at all and delivered in max 3 days ( economy service ) couple EU parcels since January 2021 to Spain and Germany so far not of them had any delays. Last one took 5 days to Germany value over £135 declared on UPS paperwork didn't attract any charges or questions.

We might be lucky so far.

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Nico Albrecht Member since: May 2, 2017
  9. Noob Business Girl

82 1
    Royal Mail delivery office stamps the certificate if you print it out after you buy postage online...isn't that the proof of postage?

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Noob Business Girl Member since: Jun 15, 2020
  10. fc-ramon

74 14
    Oh i never knew my local depot is useless so i just bring them to the post office (which is closer too)... Ps. If you drop of at the post office (not 24/48 but standard 1/2/signed for /SD - click and drop) when they scan the QR code on the label it prints out a receipt on their horizon system so theres no need to bring that certificate to get stamped, you can just use the receipt as proof of postage. Saves quite a bit of paper for me...

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: fc-ramon Member since: Nov 6, 2020
  11. Noob Business Girl

82 1
    Yes, post office provides receipt!

Posted: Feb 18, 2021 By: Noob Business Girl Member since: Jun 15, 2020