General Business Forum Brought to you by Total Gas & Power

Which courier(s) do you use?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by anonuk, Jul 2, 2020.

1. anonuk

anonuk UKBF Regular Free Member

302 44
    We currently use a combination of Royal Mail (for small parcels), DPD Local and APC but are looking to a) reduce costs and b) simplify things.

Paying £2.95 for second class parcels,
    Around £8.50 for both DPD and APC (inc vat)

I’ve been looking at Despatch Bay and they largely use DX and Parcelforce, while another company (Inxpress) use DHL. All have very competitive rates.

Just curious to hear what courier you guys and girls use, what sort of rates you pay, and whether they are any good.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 By: anonuk Member since: Feb 27, 2014
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

25,262 3,076
    Royal Mail
    APC
    UPS

If booking courier I often look on parcel2go - but will still tend to stick to the above list I know will deliver.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. anonuk

302 44
    Not had much dealings with UPS.

My main reason for looking is that we send posters out which are boxed in 75x8x8cm boxes. They only weigh about 400g, but APC and DHL charge £8.50. Just booked a trial delivery through Despatch Bay using Parcelforce and they came to £6.82 each.

If I was willing to go with Hermes (whcih I'm not), Parcel2Go would have been about £3.00

4. Mr D

25,262 3,076
    Use UPS mostly for expensive foreign sales. APC for UK expensive sales, especially fragile.
    Bulk of the stuff is royal mail click and drop - simple, cost effective.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Martin Patfield

Martin Patfield UKBF Contributor Full Member

95 23
    InXpress have access to multiple couriers so why are they only giving you that one option?

I signed up to InXpress on the basis that we have largely awkward / ugly freight in Whiteboards. Everything is custom made and no specific set size.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 By: Martin Patfield Member since: May 3, 2018
  6. anonuk

302 44
    To be fair, InXpress gave us quotes for the smaller parcels but were based on Hermes which I do not want to use, and the DHL quote is the only parcel quote they gave so assuming that it was the cheapest they have available.

Quite happy with the DHL price but not used them before so not sure what their service is like.

7. Martin Patfield

Martin Patfield UKBF Contributor Full Member

95 23
    I liked DHL. They have not long in the past bought out UK Mail which was towards the lower end in service and cost. I hope they weren't dragged down to UK Mail's service level.
    I have been out of the game a little while in terms of shipping as we have our own vehicles so can't give an up to date opinion on usage.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 By: Martin Patfield Member since: May 3, 2018
  8. CHUKTC

CHUKTC UKBF Regular Free Member

184 31
    Re UK deliveries we use UPS for larger parcels (over 5kg). If you sign up for an account with them you can negotiate much better rates than those published, for smaller consignments royal mail or Parcel2go.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 By: CHUKTC Member since: Jan 2, 2019
  9. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,145 1,313
    This is one of those subjects where no matter who one person says is good, others will say is terrible.

For years I used Initial Citylink (before they went bust) and never had a problem. Yet on this forum, back in those days the number of people who would complain about Citylink. I wondered if I was using a different Citylink to everyone else.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  10. AndyMuir9

AndyMuir9 UKBF Newcomer Full Member

23 2
    I mainly use Royal Mail for orders in the UK and DHL or UPS for international orders. Never had any major issues with any of these companies.

Posted: Jul 2, 2020 By: AndyMuir9 Member since: Apr 13, 2020
  11. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,145 1,313
    When I had an office supplies business, occasionally we needed a courier, and believe it or not, we found Hermes were very reliable. (Waiting for the negative responses now :) )

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  12. anonuk

302 44
    We’ve not specifically had any bad experience with Hermes (except the fact they fail to collect every time we book a collection because the delivery driver in our area is lazy).

My hesitance in using Hermes comes from comments from customers who have indicated that they would not buy from us if we used Hermes.

We are quite happy with Royal Mail for the small parcels (apart from not being able to get business rates).

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 By: anonuk Member since: Feb 27, 2014
  13. Greg Thomas

Greg Thomas UKBF Newcomer Free Member

14 3
    We used to use Parcels2go until, we had an issue with insurance - which put us off, but the prices were the best.
    We use Click and drop service via Royal Mail - All done in the office for goods we are shipping directly.
    For Amazon we use 24hr tracked Royal Mail for prime deliveries and for Etsy we use their built in post labeling service which is Royal Mail again.

Posted: Jul 3, 2020 By: Greg Thomas Member since: Mar 10, 2020
  14. JEREMY HAWKE

JEREMY HAWKE UKBF Legend Full Member

5,280 1,835
    Everybody uses Jeremy Hawke Couriers now it's the the future

Posted: Jul 4, 2020 By: JEREMY HAWKE Member since: Mar 4, 2008
  15. Mr D

25,262 3,076
    As a customer of mail order by various means for over 40 years I can say I have never spent time looking for delivery services. I leave that to the sender. Must have ordered over 10,000 items personally in that time.
    Appears common for the sender not the receiver to organise delivery service.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  16. Guy Incognito

Guy Incognito UKBF Regular Free Member

209 35
    TNT / FedEx at the moment but might well be moving as they can't supply enough trucks for the volume of oversize items we send out. Looking at Tuffnells.

Posted: Jul 13, 2020 By: Guy Incognito Member since: Aug 2, 2016