Where to start to learn about Heavy Equipment?

Discussion in 'Feedback & Help' started by Kevin McCabe, Jul 31, 2019.

1. Mark T Jones

Mark T Jones UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,522 1,646
    Ok. I’ll play.

In a past life I knew quite a lot about excavators and mobile cranes

A colleague knew a lot about printing presses and another knew about CNC machines

None of us had technical knowledge - it wasn’t relevant. We knew the sellers, the buyers and the valuers. We also got to know - largely through painful experience- the crooks and scams in the industries

But here is the thing. Whilst there were similarities, the knowledge we each had was sector specific and wasn’t interchangeable

If you go out and decide to be a generalist in ‘heavy equipment’ you will get very, very badly burnt. .

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 By: Mark T Jones Member since: Nov 4, 2015
  2. bodgitt&scarperLTD

bodgitt&scarperLTD UKBF Regular Full Member

311 123
    There's not much margin in diggers at the moment. Big export market though.

Get over to planttalk.co.uk. The guy who runs it is a dealer, he's talked pretty candidly about margins etc, and they're a good bunch of guys for any plant related questions.

One thing I do know is that there's no such thing as a good deal at an auction any more. Rule of thumb is that if it's in the auction, there's something wrong with it. Prices may look fair, but remember that you will get clobbered with buyers premium, loading charges and anything else the auctioneers can dream up to make their pound of flesh.

Posted: Aug 6, 2019 By: bodgitt&scarperLTD Member since: Nov 26, 2018