Where can I get a small mailing list?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by ClaireL, Mar 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ClaireL

ClaireL UKBF Newcomer

48 2
    Hi

Just wondering if anyone knew where I could get a small mailer list of brides emails addresses etc

Thanks

Claire

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 By: ClaireL Member since: Nov 21, 2010
  2. ClaireL

ClaireL UKBF Newcomer

48 2
    Edited to add: I only need about 100/200 contacts

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 By: ClaireL Member since: Nov 21, 2010
  3. pickaweb

pickaweb UKBF Regular

518 43
    I would not recommend emailing people that are not subscribed to you or do not know about you.
    If you are looking for an email marketing service where you can start building an email list I recommend Aweber.com

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 By: pickaweb Member since: Oct 3, 2007
  4. sysops

sysops UKBF Legend

2,916 885
    This advice is always trotted out in response to email marketing questions. The fact is buying and selling mailing lists is big business in the UK, and is an important marketing activity for most large organisations. Why do you think it should only be large organisations that carry out this type of marketing?

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 By: sysops Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  5. pickaweb

pickaweb UKBF Regular

518 43
    I was talking about email marketing. You should not send unsolicited email and should give the option for people to unsubsribe.

Hope that helps.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
    Posted: Mar 18, 2011 By: pickaweb Member since: Oct 3, 2007
  6. sysops

sysops UKBF Legend

2,916 885
    So was I.

Posted: Mar 18, 2011 By: sysops Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  7. ClaireL

ClaireL UKBF Newcomer

48 2
    Bump to see if anyone can help?

Posted: Mar 19, 2011 By: ClaireL Member since: Nov 21, 2010
  8. Mike W

Mike W UKBF Legend

1,572 360
    You've got almost zero chance of finding that kind of information.

I'm pretty sure the Marriage Register doesn't ask for an email address, so you're left to bridal shops, online wedding sites etc, none of whom I imagine would be interested in selling their data. And if they did, I couldn't see it being cheap.

Plus, as pickaweb has intimated, you'd be spamming people so you'd risk problems for yourself. There's a big difference between mailing businesses and private individuals.

While it won't necessarily be cheap, you might be better approaching bridal shops, online wedding firms to see if you can promote yourself via their own (online) promotions.

But, as for pickaweb's suggestion of Aweber.com, which I assume she must be an affiliate of, there's no need whatsoever. a) You don't need an online system like this to do it for you, and b) they're not secure ...especially Aweber.

Hope that helps.

Regards

Mike

Posted: Mar 19, 2011 By: Mike W Member since: Aug 19, 2010
  9. AmandeepS

AmandeepS UKBF Newcomer

55 6
    There is another way that you could the email addresses of brides however it does require some setting up a small system. In simple terms, what you would want to do is create yourself a web page that gives something away to brides or soon to be brides. In exchange for what you give away, they enter their email address (so that you can send them their freebie). Now you have their email address. You can set up a simple page yourself but if you don't feel as if you have the time or the skills, outsource it, there are so many places that will set up a simple page like this for $20-30. To capture the email addresses and follow up with the freebie you will need to use email marketing software such as Aweber or similar. The way you would get the brides to visit your page would be with Facebook Pay Per Click advertising. This is great because you can have your ad appear on the profiles of brides/soon to be brides.

Yes it seems like a lot of work but this is probably the easiest way. I guess another option would be to attend wedding exhibitions and give something away for free in exchange for email addresses there.

Posted: Mar 19, 2011 By: AmandeepS Member since: Apr 23, 2009
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  10. Tommo

Tommo UKBF Enthusiast

538 91
    A lot of wedding fair organisers sell the attendees contact info after the show.

Posted: Mar 19, 2011 By: Tommo Member since: Jul 15, 2009
  11. Adam@MarketLocation

[email protected] UKBF Newcomer

4 0
    I know a source who has over 90k records available. If interested please get in touch and I will pass your details on.

Thanks,

Adam

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 By: [email protected] Member since: Mar 17, 2011
  12. astutiumRob

astutiumRob UKBF Legend

1,311 241
    If the person hasn't explicitly given their email address to you, and authorised you sending them commercial emails, then it's spam (entirely different to emails you did ask for but can't be bothered to read - which incorrectly gets reported as spam).

Spam is illegal (it was made a criminal offence in 2003), and is only sent out by scum.

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 By: astutiumRob Member since: May 5, 2004
  13. sysops

sysops UKBF Legend

2,916 885
    A bit harsh, and quite narrow-minded.

You know how you repeatedly get asked if you mind "your information being shared with carefully selected third parties"? That means "do you mind if we sell your email address to anyone who will give us 20p for it". That's how consumer lists are compiled and subsequently (perfectly legally) sold.

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 By: sysops Member since: Feb 1, 2007
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  14. ClaireL

ClaireL UKBF Newcomer

48 2
    "You know how you repeatedly get asked if you mind "your information being shared with carefully selected third parties"? That means "do you mind if we sell your email address to anyone who will give us 20p for it". That's how consumer lists are compiled and subsequently (perfectly legally) sold."

Thats what I was thinking

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 By: ClaireL Member since: Nov 21, 2010
  15. sysops

sysops UKBF Legend

2,916 885
    You need to get a targeted list if you want any kind of conversion rate. Contact some of the wedding mags, ask them if they have consumer lists to sell.

Posted: Mar 21, 2011 By: sysops Member since: Feb 1, 2007
  16. dan_ibdm

dan_ibdm UKBF Newcomer

7 0
    Even better, find some bridal fairs and take a stand at one of them where you can speak with people/delegates who attend. You can then do the decent thing and ask people to give you permission to contact them, sign up to newsletters, product brochures or whatever it is - you will get a lot of people who will be more than happy to do this if what you have is relevant. Then you have your list of people to contact and they are (or were) happy for you to do so. Always give them chance to unsubscribe and this not lonly looks more professional but actually helps you when people drop off as you know you are left with quality interest.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
    Posted: Mar 21, 2011 By: dan_ibdm Member since: Mar 2, 2011
  17. pickaweb

pickaweb UKBF Regular

518 43
    There are other tools which you can use to manage your email list yourself like activecampaign.com. Aweber is just my preference. There are other ones like Icontact, Get response.
    Hope this helps.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
    Posted: Mar 22, 2011 By: pickaweb Member since: Oct 3, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.