General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Where are these guys getting it from!!

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Hwilliams, Aug 16, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hwilliams

Hwilliams UKBF Newcomer Free Member

37 0
    Well it must be pushing a good four months now since I began my mission to find a bulk supplier of plastic moulds (for soap & bath bombs or something similar etc...). I see them all the time on ebay and other soap supply websites and these guys have got to be buying from somewhere! The question is WHERE????

I keep searching the internet but the closest I get is plastic manufacturers that make custom made moulds. Nothing from stock! I don't believe all the others are having their moulds custom made (apart from everything else, they seem to be generic rather than bespoke).

Is there something I'm doing wrong in my search? Does anyone know of any suppliers of bulk, off the shelf plastic moulds. I'm not keen on importing (mainly because I don't have enough experience and the fact that I can't locate an overseas supplier anyway). There has to be somewhere that has a range of moulds sitting in boxes in their warehouse. I am really not convinced that ebayer's are having their moulds custom made to sell for next to nothing, makes no sense at all. I could be wrong though! :redface:

Posted: Aug 16, 2007 By: Hwilliams Member since: Jul 11, 2006
  2. boho

boho UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,411 135
    Posted: Aug 16, 2007 By: boho Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  3. Hwilliams

37 0
    Thanks for that, it really is appreciated but this is my problem, where are they getting them from. This is who I refer to when I use the term 'guys'. Thanks anyway, look's like my search goes on although I will try dennycrafts.:)

4. boho

boho UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,411 135
    Most ebayers buy from places such as dennycrafts, in fact I think dennycrafts are actually selling on ebay themselves. Nearly all the moulds are imported though, so if you want to get to the beginning of the supply chain you will more than likely have to go that route.

Whats wrong with just buying them in bulk from a UK wholesaler such as those I've given you? the margins on a trade account are still good and it's what I do with the moulds for my chess & craft business. Or if you have specific design in mind then just buy some liquid latex and make your own (I do that too).

Soap tub moulds http://www.meltandpoursupplies.com/moulds.htm are a UK manufacturer based in Yorkshire and you pay factory prices for them.
    There are also good US based ones such as http://www.spinningleaf.com/

I'm not quite sure why you are struggling to find them just stick soap mould manufacturers into google, you'll find loads, thats how I found all of my ones :)

Posted: Aug 16, 2007 By: boho Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  5. bdarling

bdarling UKBF Newcomer Free Member

46 0
    I get mine from www.soapmakers-store.com, retail, but really good and with next day delivery. But will be checking out Denny.

As per usual the best soap making suppliers seem to be US based!
    I'm trying to justify this: http://www.soapequipment.com/bathbomb. Apparently you can press out 1 bath bomb every 10 secs! But at $677.00 + p&p, i think i will have to leave it.
    Anyone know how to build one? :)

Posted: Aug 16, 2007 By: bdarling Member since: Jun 21, 2006
  6. Hwilliams

37 0
    Yep! Soap mould manufacturers is the first thing I google. Maybe I'm just too used to buying my other materials in bulk and that I don't have to approach my competitors to buy them, if you know what I mean.

It might be worth me pointing out that the blurb that follows my website link is not what I'm about (I can't seem to change the bloomin' blurb without loosing the url, not sure why). I have diversified and now supply soap & lotion makers as do melt & pour supplies, soap basics etc... so you can see that in order to be competitive, I need to source the moulds from a bulk supplier. So yes I find soap moulds all over the place but up until now, only from competitors, which defeats the object.

However, I wonder if melt & pour supply in bulk? I'll check that out. It's ok making them myself but I need supply to be consistent and my prices have got to be competitive. Thanks again though!

7. bdarling

46 0
    While on the subject, does anyone know where I could buy the following items in bulk?
    clear 10 ml pots (clear lids)
    rubber ducks or other small plastic toys for use as soap embeds.
    We get through loads and just keep drawing a blank when it comes to finding UK suppliers.

Many thanks and sorry for hijacking your thread.

Posted: Aug 16, 2007 By: bdarling Member since: Jun 21, 2006
  8. Hwilliams

37 0
    Actually, we are just going through a rather amusing thread on my forum regarding moulds that may not answer your question but might be worth you having a look....http://www.fresholi.co.uk/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=32&topic=127.0

There's also a few threads on the pots issue. How many are you looking for? I may be able to help & yes, most suppliers for the things you really, really want are US based. They seem to be more than clued in over the pond.

Your website is fab by the way, I love the idea. What do you plan to sell in the shop?

9. bdarling

46 0
    I have join the freshoil site and the info available is great. How many diffrent types of butters? Fab site! We really do need this type of resource for UK based soap makers. I will pm you about the pots, thanks

I have been working on my products for what seems like ages, certification and labelling, bloody nightmare! but when it all sorted I will start by launching a range of m&p soaps, craft kits and soap themed gifts for children, I am also working on some CP recipes, but that's top secret;-)

Posted: Aug 17, 2007 By: bdarling Member since: Jun 21, 2006
  10. Hwilliams

37 0
    Thank you for joining! And thanks for the great comments!! I am working hard to create a really useful network that we don't seem to have over here and there are a few more things in the pipeline too!

I think the site could do with some experts (outside of the actual soapmaking area) to offer advice and maybe their services for the legal, marketing & other issues that affect a small business of this type (I'm working on that too).

As you can see from the range, I'm not a believer in heavy mark-ups and really just want to bring the members what they ask for at a fair & reasonable price and likewise for the P&P. What money I do make is totally reinvested into buying in the things members want. The whole concept has the member's interests at heart. May not make much business sense to many but my success is not measured on the financial gain, but on how the numbers of returning visitors and member's contributions.

I checked out melt & pour supplies regarding the moulds and as I thought, the price is just not what I'm looking for (considering they are factory prices), nor are the quantities. I couldn't possibly give my customers value for money. So my search goes on! I think I may have to look again in more detail about having them made myself if this goes on.

Anyway, thanks again & see you at Fresholi!!

Posted: Aug 17, 2007 By: Hwilliams Member since: Jul 11, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.