Whats to do ! Competitor wants to subcontract to me

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Joe E, May 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    Good Day everyone.

I have been approached by a competitor of mine to do some contracting work so far no dialogue has taken place just a voicemail message left.
    They are looking for me to fulfill an order they can't in my area.
    I'm looking for some advice of how to approach this; normally I would work something out myself however this company dosen't have a good reputation infact there have been some grumblings on this forum about them, so do I contact to see what they are offering and go from there or say not interested immediately to preserve my rep?

Kind Regards

Joe E

Posted: May 11, 2009 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007
  2. CKG

CKG UKBF Legend

1,686 460
    If you think something is going to be trouble 9 times out of 10 it usually is.

Well, in my experience anyway...

Wouldn't hurt to have a look though.

Posted: May 11, 2009 By: CKG Member since: May 26, 2007
  3. cmcp

cmcp UKBF Legend

3,328 856
    I'd stay clear. Subcontracting is fine, but if anything goes tits up you're name is gonna be in the story, especially if their reputation is questionable.

Let them muck it up themselves - the business will find its way to you eventually.

Posted: May 11, 2009 By: cmcp Member since: Jun 25, 2007
  4. wood1e2

wood1e2 UKBF Big Shot

2,172 168
    A lot of different industries sub-contract or use competitors when there are over runs and increase capacity is needed asap.

As for the reputation of the company, if you can't find something concrete, then go on your gut, always works for me.

If you are still not sure and go for it, then your payment terms are no different to any other client, x percentage up front then final amount 7 days after completion.

Another idea I have just thought off, if you can give an idea of who you are talking about then whoever has complained about them before might comforward and give you more of a heads up!!

Posted: May 11, 2009 By: wood1e2 Member since: May 2, 2007
  5. Joe E

Joe E UKBF Enthusiast

431 72
    Thanks for the replies, gut says steer clear but knowing what I'm like am always open to look at opportunities.
    Don't like to name names if I don't have concrete evidence it's just conversations I've had and a few posts I've read on here don't put them in a favourable light.

Thanks again

Joe E

Posted: May 11, 2009 By: Joe E Member since: Oct 24, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.