Whats the best online FREE advertising for your business?

Discussion in 'Sales, Marketing & PR' started by SocialMediaUncovered, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SocialMediaUncovered

SocialMediaUncovered UKBF Newcomer Free Member

169 22
    I've come across lots of companies that have given me stories of free advertising - the type that actually converts.

But does the quality of the leads suffer when you are sourcing customers for free? or does it just take more time than a paid for "big hit" advertising campaign?

What are your stories and results from advertising that did'nt cost a bean but brought business your way?

Posted: Oct 3, 2008 By: SocialMediaUncovered Member since: Sep 29, 2008
  2. Jay147

Jay147 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 4
    Hello

I just joined as stumbled across this on google so thought I would leave a reply. This is a really good question. I have spent the last 12 months trying, researching and testing free online advertising and marketing ideas specifically for the UK to see what they can actually bring.
    I think the answer is both good and bad results really. They can be poor and you have to go through alot of leads to get success and they can also be really good and you go through a few to get good results. But it varies alot and also depends on what you are selling.
    A friend of mine in an MLM business bought 800 leads at a cost of nearly £6000 and all she signed up was 3 dists. Yet with free leads and somone i have worked with in my test group she signed 4 dists in a week all from free leads. (around 150). But........I had gone through 1000 leads with absolutely nothing until a success came by. It's is not the fact of generating leads as we generated free leads within an hour but how well they convert.

But if your job in marketing is to get your name out as much as possible then free stuff may be a good place to begin.
    I think the main thing is to go through all the free techniques first to learn more about marketing and advertising and with new skills honed start to pay for targeted niche marketing. At least you will be better equiped to do paid for stuff.

In short free advertising does work if you know what to do and how to go about it so you don't waste lots of time but remember that sometimes you have to go through some numbers and sometimes you get fast results.

But from my experience it is much the same for paid for leads anyway.

Jay Roberts

Posted: Oct 4, 2008 By: Jay147 Member since: Oct 4, 2008
  3. Silky

Silky UKBF Ace Full Member

1,170 210
    I've had some great results from forum posts on targetted sites. It does take time - anyone simply making one post about their business is soon spotted and discredited - but if you're an active forum member and are genuinely answering someone's query then you can get some really strong leads.

Silky

Posted: Oct 5, 2008 By: Silky Member since: Oct 29, 2007
  4. streetslocal

streetslocal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,046 363
    I think its quite hard to find any particular site that offers results across a generic spectrum.
    There are many directorys that serve certain types of business better than others.
    So to an extent its trial and error finding one that works for your business..

Posted: Oct 5, 2008 By: streetslocal Member since: Nov 27, 2007
  5. andrewsimon

andrewsimon UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    The most effective and easiest way of online advertising is Article marketing....;)

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 By: andrewsimon Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  6. Jay147

11 4
    Article marketing is an excellent way of getting free leads thats for sure. If used with keywords / phrases that have little or no competition it can be even more fruitful quite quickly. Its very effective to search out your niche keywords and phrases with google free tool and then write the top 5 into a relevant article and submit to your free article sites. If you then use this same article (maybe extended) as another page on your blog, also as another page on your website then the same article with those great keywords / phrases has served 3 places and increased your online presence greatly. Do this a few times a week and watch what happens.
    Now you can also use the 5 top keyword pharses as a headline on adverts on gumtree and craigslist london as google bots pick these up fairly quickly as they are high ranking sites.

So now if you had found out that a term "I want to earn some cash" was searched for a google 500 times a month in the UK but had very little competition for that term you have now got several ways of keeping your business top for that term.

Jay

p.s. I am not a one post kind of guy . LOL.

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 By: Jay147 Member since: Oct 4, 2008
  7. streetslocal

streetslocal UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,046 363
    Im expecting somebody to come along and say yes we write articles for only £....:D

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 By: streetslocal Member since: Nov 27, 2007
  8. Jay147

11 4
    I am hoping somone does. I hate writing the damn things!! LOL

So are there any great article writers out there if I gave you the keywords to include?

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 By: Jay147 Member since: Oct 4, 2008
  9. SocialMediaUncovered

SocialMediaUncovered UKBF Newcomer Free Member

169 22
    I know some good people that I can pass on to you - if you are interested I can PM you...

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 By: SocialMediaUncovered Member since: Sep 29, 2008
  10. juicyjobs.biz

juicyjobs.biz UKBF Newcomer Free Member

46 3
    I'm using a freelance graduate journalist. She's very reasonable in price and has her ear to the ground. I posted the vacancy on gumtree and 47 people applied. Some seriously crazy in price and others very good.

So far the only sites we've received hits from our articles are:
    ezine articles
    twitter
    goarticles
    wordpress
    stumble upon

We've also listed with many free business listing websites and have received quite a bit of hits from those sites (only the ones in the same fields as us, ie ethical, environmental, charity, etc). Probably a good idea to find business directories that specialize in your field.

Good luck!

Posted: Oct 6, 2008 By: juicyjobs.biz Member since: Apr 21, 2008
  11. TumTum

TumTum UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    i don't think free advertising is always the best route. instead you could consider starting an affiliate program like Unique Skins has done. this allows you to only pay for resulting sales instead of paying for an advertising campaign that doesn't bring results, or using a free advertising campaign that doesn't bring results.
    check out their website and seriously consider getting into affiliate marketing.

good luck!

Posted: Oct 10, 2008 By: TumTum Member since: Oct 1, 2008
  12. Jay147

11 4
    Hi

I thnk affiliate selling is great for certain things but not everything. Also if one of your businesses is an MLM then I am not sure I see how an affiliate can recruit for you but I am open to idea's always.

Great for info products as the margins are greater but for something where you are only able to give 10% of the sale?? Not sure.

Jay

Posted: Oct 12, 2008 By: Jay147 Member since: Oct 4, 2008
  13. G. Lasagne

G. Lasagne UKBF Ace Full Member

2,291 434
    The uk small business directory has out performed my other free listings.
    I am a tradesmen though but would expect it to be quite good for any small business.

Dave

Posted: Oct 12, 2008 By: G. Lasagne Member since: Mar 12, 2008
  14. greeneast

greeneast UKBF Newcomer Free Member

146 15
    Hi,

I am also looking for ways of increasing traffic to my site, but only UK traffic and lots of it, but like everyone else my budget is crunched.

I get lots of visits from forums and social network sites, but they tend not to convert to customers.

Genuine customers seem to come through search engines or direct hits to the site but that is very slow as yet because the site has only been up six weeks and I am still trying to get the word out. We have done all the SEO and have to wait it out now and should be going in a local paperback directory but again have to wait for the print to circulate.

Yes I also know a lady who actually copy writes specifically for websites and keywording but what might be more interesting for you, I just googled 'copywriting norfolk' and Creospace who is a member here came up on first page. If you want top keyword ranking, use someone who can actually achieve it! :D

Posted: Oct 13, 2008 By: greeneast Member since: Oct 5, 2008
  15. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    I can't belive this thread has got this far without mentioning that being No1 on google for your product ,is by far and away the best free advertising there is.

Earl

Posted: Oct 13, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  16. greeneast

146 15
    :redface: Agree by far, but for one of my sites there are only around 5,000 people a month searching for my Key word 'fuel treatment'. Only some of them will land on MY site and only a small percentage of them will convert, so I need to increase traffic in other ways too.

For my new site Green East, I have more products and more keyword options but this takes time to get the traffic coming in. What else can be done to boost this?

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 By: greeneast Member since: Oct 5, 2008
  17. Jay147

11 4
    hi

absolutely google is great for free traffic but it needs multiple methods all working at the same time to get that boost. money saving expert forums are ranked high so good place to start a topic using a keyphrase with less competition as a subject title. also gumtree and craigslist london with the same idea. gets you leads from the medium itself and google pick you up multiple times for that keyphrase in several places. Keyphrases in article releases, press releases, blogs and your website give you 6 or 7 prongs of traffic attack.

Hard graft but worth it.

Jay

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 By: Jay147 Member since: Oct 4, 2008
  18. greeneast

146 15
    Hi again

That takes me back to my original question "Why don't directories have a category for Eco Friendly Products?" :)

I tried Gumtree and there is NO category to suit - so what's the point in posting in the wrong place? Same with most of them!

I looked at banner exchange as that is free, but the banners that showed on my site...
    A) Weren't appropriate on my site. They were clean, just wrong - ie. Gambling and MLM!
    B) Made my site's download times longer.

I then tried another one but with a better repertoir of banners and only had about 80 shows in two weeks with 2 clicks. Not quick enough to guarantee xmas off this year!

There's not much point in paying for banner adverts as the conversion is too low for my low priced products.

Sent a press release, 1 week waiting list - got refused as wrongly formated. Try again.

What about Web Rings - haven't heard of them for yonks!
    What about Affiliates? Seriously considering this.
    Traffic rotators? Wrong target market.

Google is fantastic, but not the holy market so - What next? :eek:

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 By: greeneast Member since: Oct 5, 2008
  19. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    use various variations on your keywords I.E "fuel economy" e.t.c.

SEO is about getting traffic to your site,someone looking for "fuel economy" may well be interested in your product.

Using one keyword tool does not return accurate results ,especially adwords tools.

Earl

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  20. Accomplished SEO UK

Accomplished SEO UK UKBF Newcomer Free Member

21 3
    Winning a Free 12 month SEO Contract would definantly help you advertise online. Search Engine Optimisation is a popular form of Intenet Marketing that uses keywords in order to naturally increase a websites rankings within the search engines.

Accomplished SEO UK have launched a competition to enable one lucky entrant to win a 12 month Free SEO contract with Accomplished. This would be an ideal opportunity to market your website improving your online sales. For more information visit the Accomplishedseo.co.uk website and click on the banner at the top for more details. All entrants will receive a free website anaysis from Accomplished, therefore there is nothing to lose by entering the competition.

If you need any more information feel free to email me on my profile email address.

Posted: Oct 14, 2008 By: Accomplished SEO UK Member since: Oct 14, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.