whats squashing your dreams?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by stephendoyle, Aug 25, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stephendoyle

stephendoyle UKBF Regular

642 41
    hi there,

thought i'd try a bit of research on here!

there are many things that stop people achieving the life that they want.

my question is whats stopping you or been the hardest thing to get over to achieve what you want - ie. cashflow, negativity, action, family.

regards
    steve doyle
    ccuk-ltd.com

Posted: Aug 25, 2007 By: stephendoyle Member since: Mar 7, 2007
  2. estwig

estwig UKBF Legend

12,616 4,527
    Finding decent people to take some of the decision making/organisation away from me.

Posted: Aug 25, 2007 By: estwig Member since: Sep 29, 2006
  3. Gillie

Gillie Verified Business ✔️

13,070 1,472
    Its called trusting Keith and yes its a hard one to get right!

Illness for me has to be a bummer ... sat her now hooked up to a wonderful machine which is one reason you lot have the pleasure or despair of my company most nights!! Kind of restricts me night times! But nope, the other stuff, family been a pleasure, money etc, all not an issue!

Posted: Aug 25, 2007 By: Gillie Member since: Apr 12, 2006
  4. Redbaron

Redbaron UKBF Newcomer

145 1
    People who want to work for you and make lots of money without having to do any work, have anyone else found that?
    Redbaron

Posted: Aug 25, 2007 By: Redbaron Member since: Aug 24, 2007
  5. computerfaq

computerfaq UKBF Newcomer

481 7
    Lack of any support financially, or being able to get a job elsewhere. I went the self employed route because even though I could prove my skills without a problem, I didn't have right peices of paper to say that I had those skills, and working in places like tesco/McDonalds won't take me, because...well I don't know why.

Only really been trading for the past 12 months and it's really difficult as I started with literally nothing.

Posted: Aug 25, 2007 By: computerfaq Member since: Aug 6, 2007
  6. stephendoyle

642 41
    hi chris,

are you seeking a job elsewhere because of lack of business?

7. lex

lex UKBF Regular

711 38
    Well my dream is to be rich, so cashflow :D

Posted: Aug 25, 2007 By: lex Member since: Jun 22, 2006
  8. Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn UKBF Newcomer

218 0
    Marcella Puppini's married and I don't have Michelle Yeo's 'phone number..... That and they keep pulling out the wrong lottery numbers every week...

I suppose I'd have to say cashflow coupled to the work/life balance... If you're busy making the coin there's no time to play with the toys it buys.

Posted: Aug 25, 2007 By: Matt Quinn Member since: Aug 5, 2007
  9. computerfaq

481 7
    Well ccuk (Sorry I don't know your name :p) I wanted to get a job to give me some more experience before i went it alone, but have even given up on applying as no-one seems to want to employ me. (It might have something to do with the lovely family background :p) So I decided to just go for it anyway. I had no money (literally, I had about £10 in my bank account at the time!) and have built up from there, I suppose I've been very lucky with that, but I'm only just making a profit now, as everyone wants to see pieces of paper whcih I just don't have.

10. stephendoyle

642 41
    hi chris

i think that a year on you have your own success story!

now its time to take it further.

been on your web and seems fine to me and cost effective at 15.00 an hour.

the pieces of paper are they qualification related?

maybe get some testimonials to counter it?

11. computerfaq

481 7
    I'm starting to get testimonials, and am getting loads of positive responses, but most of the people I work with are individuals who are in their 70/80s and don't want to do anything like that. I've managed to get one online, and another one of my clients has agreed to do one, but I'm still fairly new and as most of my clients don't want to do them I'm sorta not getting there too fast on that front. I suppose what I really need is a guardian angel to come along and give me enough money to be able to move out of this place and into something more realistic.

And yes the pieces of paper are qualification related...expensive computer qualification related.

12. stephendoyle

642 41
    hi chris

sent you a pm

regards
    steve doyle

13. asonda

asonda Verified Business ✔️

3,630 302
    Getting the business products and services out there!

The hardest part is getting to be known!

Posted: Aug 26, 2007 By: asonda Member since: Jan 28, 2007
  14. computerfaq

481 7
    Yeah it definately is, and when you've got no money to get the advertising done, then it's a bigger problem.

Posted: Aug 26, 2007 By: computerfaq Member since: Aug 6, 2007
  15. coxadmin

coxadmin UKBF Enthusiast

2,090 84

I've wanted to get into IT for many years and applied for trainee jobs when I had opportunities to change career.

Five years ago I discovered it was possible to study at home and get Career Development Loan to fund the course I wanted to do - I was ready to sign up and then found out I was pregnant (after trying for several years) so I postponed the training again.

At the beginning of this year I faced another change in direction and a wise friend of mine asked what I really wanted to do and I remembered the IT courses. I investigated them, found a supplier and even had an offer of a loan from my dad. Then we realised that the exams were extra to the cost of the course and needed re-sitting every three years and my dad withdrew his offer of the loan.

Determined not to let the opportunity pass me by I investigated alternative ways of learning and discovered that there are companies offering IT training on CD with learning labs, support, etc at a fraction of the cost of some of the larger companies.

Last Friday I finally placed my order for my training with an American supplier and with the Dollar being so weak at present and after I've paid import duty and VAT on the two courses I ordered I will have paid less than if I ordered exactly the same courses from a UK supplier.

Don't let the cost of training put you off - there are ways round it.

Posted: Aug 26, 2007 By: coxadmin Member since: Nov 5, 2004
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  16. Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn UKBF Newcomer

218 0
    I'm aware that there are secondary 'qualifications' issued (or at least validated) by various software manufacturers and other bodies. I'm also aware that there are serious issues with some of the training providers, and indeed one of the most seriously 'suspect' happens to be one of the UK's biggest!

However, surely the most credible step would be to obtain a legitimate academic qualification such as an HNC, HND or Degree? These can be done on a part-time basis and (depending on your circumstances) help may be available..

Frankly anyone coming to me sporting only 'non-academic' qualifications wouldn't even get to interview.

Posted: Aug 26, 2007 By: Matt Quinn Member since: Aug 5, 2007
  17. computerfaq

481 7
    I've got academic qualifications (well a ND, not HND, couldn't get funding to go that far)

Now doing an OU degree course in IT (funded!! YAY) but most people do look for these non-academic qualifications now, because its deemed that the academic route is easier to go down (I'm not so sure myself).

18. hunny

hunny UKBF Contributor

485 16
    Putting my two kids through university at the same time as starting a business, would be much richer now if it wasn't for that!

Posted: Aug 26, 2007 By: hunny Member since: Jun 6, 2005
  19. Matt Quinn

Matt Quinn UKBF Newcomer

218 0
    ND? ... Surely the next stage IS an HND? I don't know your individual situation of course but I'm surprised you couldn't get funding. I've done a couple of HNCs and an HND myself; I just paid the fees and it's proved beneficial because the academic credits are transferable. The non-academic courses I've done are virtually worthless ; but then I'm in a different field.

With all that said I think the HN syllabuses are over simplistic. I done an O.N.C. (broadcast engineering) 25 years ago and you don't cover as much ground in two years of an HND as you did in six months of the old style ONC. :|

Posted: Aug 26, 2007 By: Matt Quinn Member since: Aug 5, 2007
  20. computerfaq

481 7
    National Diploma, and yes normally the next stage is a HND, but for some reason I just couldn't get funding for it, I'm only getting part funding from the OU for the degree, and thats really killing me at the moment. Unfortunately because I'm in IT and am doing a bit of trade, I can't take 2 days a week out to go into a college and do it, which means home based learning is the only way. I really don't have much of a clue about that sort of thing so I went to the OU last year and signed up. Started the degree in september and am now wondering if I can afford to keep up the repayments.

Its a minefield of financial and legal jargon that I really don't understand to be honest.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.