What type of business should I setup, eg. Sole Trader or PLC?

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by uaesthetics, Jul 3, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. uaesthetics

uaesthetics UKBF Newcomer

10 0
    Hey guys, new to business and getting different advice from different accountants I got in touch with.

I work in Web/App Development. I've mostly done fulltime work but done a bit of contract work in the past that I did via a Private Limited Company, then I closed that as I went primarily only on a fulltime role.

My situation now is that, I'm looking to take in contract work on the side, this would be as of now an annual turnover of less then 50K a year

I also am open to a fulltime role and have a few offers I'm considering with annual salary's in the 50-60K mark and I would like to take on a fulltime role

In this situation, should I form a Private Limited or should I act as a Sole Trader?

Thanks

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: uaesthetics Member since: May 3, 2013
  2. YourCloudAccountant

YourCloudAccountant Full Member

109 12
    So if you have PAYE income and a business its almost always better to go Limited company route due to being able to extract via dividends.

Otherwise you will be charged income tax on the 60k full time and 50k limited - putting you in the marginal tax rate.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: YourCloudAccountant Member since: May 4, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  3. uaesthetics

10 0
    Thanks for this. Ok I understand. And when I make a PLC should I name it under my parents name or my spouse for example? Does that make a difference on anything when it comes to reducing the amount of tax I get hit or what and how I can extract?

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: uaesthetics Member since: May 3, 2013
  4. YourCloudAccountant

109 12
    You should raise it under your name. If admin is performed by your spouse you can make her a shareholder but make sure you issue a different class of shares so she can get paid a different dividend.

Bare in mind that there is more admin as a limited company and need to make sure you get good advice.

5. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    Can set a company up under whatever willing names. Just remember however they have power.
    Some people have tried the 'setting up under parents names only' then been shocked when parents have taken responsibility and run the business in a different direction and making different decisions. As they should.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  6. YourCloudAccountant

109 12
    It's ethically dubious to set up a company when they have very little to nothing to do with it and I wouldn't recommend it.

7. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend

28,576 3,551
    Shareholders may have nothing to do with a company. Or may become shareholders due to investment in the business or reward for something.
    Or as a backup.

Directors may not always work in the company full time, may indeed only act as directors for fulfilling responsibilities.

Posted: Jul 3, 2019 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  8. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend

12,403 2,605
    Don't confuse the terms LTD company with PLC companies, PLC is basically for very large companies and means public limited company,

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  9. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline Full Member

13,646 2,589
    An accountant should be basing their advice on a lot more information than you've posted here.

If you've asked more than one and got different answers do ask why, and ask them to explain fully the reasons for the advise they gave you.

Posted: Jul 4, 2019 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  10. Victoria_V

Victoria_V UKBF Contributor

153 20
    Whether you choose to set your business up as a LTD company or as a sole trader will depend on your other income and lot of other factors. If you are self employed and income from your self employment is your only source of income, then you will not pay any taxable profits from your business if it’s under the personal allowance of £12,500.

If you choose to set your business up as a LTD company, your LTD company will pay corporation tax at 19% on taxable profits. Taxable profit is calculated by deducting your allowable expenses from the revenue your business generates.

https://www.gov.uk/corporation-tax-rates

A LTD company is a separate legal entity and to take money out from the business, you can pay yourself a salary and/or pay yourself a dividend. If pay yourself a salary from the business, you will have to set the business up as an employer and may also need to pay employer’s national insurance on your salary from the business depending on how much salary you take from your LTD company .

The salary that you take out from the business will be an allowable expense for corporation tax purposes and therefore reduce the profits your ltd company makes. Subsequently this will also reduce the corporation tax the business pays. You can also pay yourself a tax free dividend of up to £2,000 from your ltd company(Subject to your business generating enough profits to pay a dividend). Dividends over £2,000 will be subject to income tax rates depending on your tax bracket.

https://www.gov.uk/tax-on-dividends

However, If your total income from all other sources(full time employment e.t.c) is over £50,000, then you will be a higher rate taxpayer and any additional income such as income from self employment will be subject to higher rates of income tax(40% or 45% depending on your taxable profit).

Posted: Jul 6, 2019 By: Victoria_V Member since: May 29, 2019
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  11. uaesthetics

10 0
    Hey Vic, thanks so much for this breakdown - this is very kind of you and clear :)

In my case my salary will be over 50K as that's just the salary of my fulltime job alone so it means any . extra work I do, I'm thinking as a side business I'm expecting in a year maybe 10-15K max

In this case what you recommend?

Posted: Jul 6, 2019 By: uaesthetics Member since: May 3, 2013
  12. strikingedge

strikingedge UKBF Ace

462 112
    From memory, £50k of paid up shares, audit and AGM are what you need to register as a PLC.

Any company likely to do £6m in the following year should consider changing from Ltd to PLC.

You get an instant boost in your credit rating, get taken more seriously by your suppliers and various other intangible benefits. If you wanted to sell shares directly to the public (eg your customers), then you’ve got the right vehicle.

Not just for “very large” companies!

Like many people I thought you needed a stock market listing to be a PLC, but that’s not the case, as I’m sure many on UKBF know, but I certainly didn’t!

Granted not of much use to the OP! This might be:

One thing a friend of mine did - he was an engineering contractor and used his own limited company working for a single customer, paying himself and his wife (help with admin etc) small salaries plus occasional dividends to minimise tax.

He left a lot of money sitting in the company.

His employer changed policies and he can no longer use his Ltd company and needs to contract direct.

He shut it down and using his Lifetime Entrepreneur Allowance, only paid 10% tax transferring the balance to himself.

Is this legal? Apparently so, but his accountant suggested he didn’t start another similar company for 3 years to avoid a closer look from HMRC.

Posted: Jul 7, 2019 By: strikingedge Member since: Jan 25, 2009
  13. TheoNe

TheoNe UKBF Contributor

135 15
    PLC is public limited company (stock market traded), it's just LTD.

Posted: Jul 9, 2019 By: TheoNe Member since: Jul 6, 2019
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.