What to think of a potential business partner who lie?

Discussion in 'Employment & HR' started by Jan Rottel, Nov 26, 2018.

1. Jan Rottel

Jan Rottel UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    I have an issue. One of my potential business partners pretended he was a successful entrepreneur. However, after investigating I discovered that he did make little money and lived on welfare. he has no work experience in other businesses in my field (Information Technology). And at the 30 years old, he is a beginner in this field while he makes me believe that he is knowledgeable about my field.

However, this individual has some ability to do so deliver some job. He did a website using basic skills. He didn't ask me for money or tried to scam me for now.

Should I give him a chance or should I exclude this person as fast as possible? If you would like to share any story similar to this one, I would be willing to read it.

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 By: Jan Rottel Member since: Nov 26, 2018
  2. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

30,916 9,057
    Building a website isn’t a demonstration of anything. Even my mum managed to get a simple site online without any IT skills.

I’d walk away now.

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  3. Gecko001

Gecko001 UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

2,841 448
    It is not unknown for once-successful entrepreneurs to be now living on benefits. Has he any experience of being an entrepreneur?

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 By: Gecko001 Member since: Apr 21, 2011
  4. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

16,608 1,847
    He is buying into the business? Or coming in because of you needing skills in the business you don't have yourself?

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  5. Jan Rottel

3 0
    Thank you for your comments. Your comments were very constructive. Mr D. Made me realise that no, he does not have any skills or network I need. I thought about training him, but this would require a huge amount of work as he pretends to be skilled in my coding while he only know the wikipedia pages of some programming languages. I will follow the advice of fisicx and cease to communicate with this individual.

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 By: Jan Rottel Member since: Nov 26, 2018
  6. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Ace Free Member

8,950 3,496
    Building a simple website without a database or other complex interactive content or function is a consumer activity. That's like saying he knows how to use a smartphone and is able to shop at Aldi without difficulty.

The world of business (and the murky world of business forums!!!) is full of fantasists whose only self-esteem seems to come from pretending to be that which they are not! Avoid!

Posted: Nov 26, 2018 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  7. antropy

antropy OpenCart Experts Full Member - Verified Business

3,411 584
    If you have concerns now, what is it going to be like in a month or two's time. Cut ties with him now! Alex

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 By: antropy Member since: Aug 2, 2010
  8. iDigLocal

iDigLocal UKBF Regular Full Member

111 19
    The simple questions are:

1. Do you trust them?
    2. Do you need them?
    answering no to either one of these questions means that you should walk away.

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 By: iDigLocal Member since: May 9, 2018
  9. Scott Hawksworth

Scott Hawksworth UKBF Newcomer Free Member

9 3
    Plain and simple... anyone who attempts to misrepresent themselves is not a business partner you want.

Great partners, and employees are honest about their knowledge and skills... and more importantly can demonstrate a willingness to learn and grow when they don't know things.

I'd much rather have someone who admits their limitations than pretends they know more than they do. Run.

Posted: Nov 27, 2018 By: Scott Hawksworth Member since: Nov 27, 2018
  10. Jan Rottel

3 0
    Thank you very much Scott it is a great answer. As you said, it is better to deal with someone who admits its limitations and who is willing to improve rather than an arrogant person who makes people believe that he knows a lot while he is not suited at all to be an employee or a service provider.
    I have business needs, it is not a reason to lower my expectations and deal with people who aren't honest, serious and modest.

Posted: Dec 3, 2018 By: Jan Rottel Member since: Nov 26, 2018
  11. Petr Gogolin

Petr Gogolin UKBF Contributor Full Member

58 15
    The B option is the right one. You should exclude this person as fast as possible.

Posted: Dec 7, 2018 By: Petr Gogolin Member since: Apr 28, 2017
  12. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,060 278
    IDigLocal first point is the most important thing when I look at potential business partners, the second point he makes is just as important.

You seem to have your answer.

Posted: Dec 8, 2018 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  13. BenFridja

BenFridja UKBF Newcomer Free Member

20 1
    Failing in the past is fine (actually it's great).

Lying about it is not.

I wouldn't start a business with a liar, but would welcome a failure.

Posted: Dec 10, 2018 By: BenFridja Member since: Jun 17, 2017
  14. Blaby Loyal

Blaby Loyal UKBF Ace Full Member

1,016 193
    Walk away now!

Posted: Dec 10, 2018 By: Blaby Loyal Member since: Jun 12, 2018
  15. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly UKBF Ace Free Member

1,410 257
    Following a successful interview (I was overruled by the CEO) sales guy 'John' turned up on his first day driving a band new Merc, spoke fondly of the highly collectable 911 Porsche safely tucked away in his parents garage and brought to his first works function a stunning dolly bird 10 years his junior. In 10 months he sold nothing, zero, nil pointe......... 'John' was a nice guy but his natural ability to embellish, that i'd sensed at interview, was picked up by customers who simply didn't trust him. Your one step ahead, you already know this guy's a liar, walk away now.

The Merc, rented on a weekly basis. The Porsche, non existent but he had made enquiries about renting one for a day. The dolly bird. £120 plus extras! ;)

Posted: Dec 11, 2018 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  16. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,618 2,149
    What do you get for the £120 without the extra's

Posted: Dec 12, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003
  17. Lucan Unlordly

Lucan Unlordly UKBF Ace Free Member

1,410 257
    A massaged ego with no bodily contact ;)

Posted: Dec 14, 2018 By: Lucan Unlordly Member since: Feb 24, 2009
  18. Chris Ashdown

Chris Ashdown UKBF Legend Free Member

10,618 2,149
    It's always nice when experienced members answer the questions :D:D:D:D:D

Posted: Dec 18, 2018 By: Chris Ashdown Member since: Dec 7, 2003