General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

What Software do you wish existed?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by mfellingham, Jan 10, 2021.

1. mfellingham

mfellingham UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Hi all!

Apologies if this thread is in the wrong place - I'm hoping it's right (general discussion sounds right!) but let me know if this should go somewhere else instead.

My business has recently been closed due to Covid restrictions and I've been thinking about ways to replace that income going forward. Whilst I've never had a job in the field, I'm a proficient programmer and I write software for my own business to keep track of things (and for fun!) and so one thing I'd like to do is build out a suite of products to help UK businesses at low cost, giving me a portfolio of work and - hopefully - some income support whilst I try to find work.

The only problem is, I'm low on ideas because my business is domestic cleaning and I don't really have a network to ask. So, if there is some software you really want that you can't find or an existing piece of software that you wish was different, let me know. I'm thinking along the lines of invoicing software, HR, task management etc.

If you do give me the idea and I develop the software, in exchange for feedback etc. I would be glad to give you a license for free :)

Thanks!
    Mitchell

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: mfellingham Member since: Jan 10, 2021
  2. JustGettingOnWithIt

JustGettingOnWithIt UKBF Contributor Free Member

35 6
    It's all been done unfortunately and as a single developer you are going up against huge companies with enormous budgets. There are some tasks that must be done right and I wouldn't risk my business for a free licence.

That said, it's easy to focus on one particular 'problem' such as budgeting. I've often thought it is the wrong approach. I would love something that coordinates every task I do. So stop thinking about 'things' and think about people. I use probably 15 pieces of software, they are all good at what they do but it is cumbersome and I have to modify my behaviour for the software shortcomings. If there was an interface between me and each app so that I can get info quickly, feed data from one system to another quickly then that would really be worth looking at.

If you look at facebook and the others they were really took off because they looked from a person point of view instead of a developer or advertisers perspective (as everything before then had been) and it has worked for them.

I think it is a tall order though. Good luck.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: JustGettingOnWithIt Member since: Jul 13, 2020
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,842 10,043
    Creating software is easy. I can pay an overseas developer to do this for me. The hard part is marketing that software. £1000 for development and £10,000 for marketing isn't a bad ration to work with.

What you want to do is find a popular platform and start creating themes, plugins and extensions. Post on their repositories for free and include an upgrade. If you find your niche you can earn decent cash.

As an example, I've got a WordPress plugin that earns me £60/day in upgrades and around £1000/month in custom work.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

346 52
    I think a piece of software that could plug into any forum and track each posters data would be useful in understanding if there were multiple contributors coming from a single source.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  5. fisicx

33,842 10,043
    How are you going to monetize this?

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. Aniela

Aniela UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

627 82
    That's a pretty untapped business model there.

Buying popular non-revenue (or little revenue) generating plugins and then providing/upselling custom work for it.

People really underestimate how little technical knowledge people installing the plugins know.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: Aniela Member since: Mar 28, 2020
  7. Ray272

Ray272 UKBF Regular Free Member

346 52
    Could have potential with all types of social media in rooting out fake news and bad actors in the influencer market.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: Ray272 Member since: Jul 5, 2017
  8. tony84

tony84 UKBF Big Shot Free Member

5,856 1,086
    A mortgage crm that actually helps rather than duplicates work. I have been developing zoho crm and have made some headway but the extra bits I want are going to start costing a fair bit.

If you can develop that, I am fairly sure it could be licensed out to quite a few brokers as I know I am not the only one who thinks what is on the market is either overly complicated or too expensive.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: tony84 Member since: Apr 14, 2008
  9. atmosbob

atmosbob UKBF Ace Free Member

4,608 1,103
    A browser plugin that excludes all directory sites.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: atmosbob Member since: Oct 26, 2009
  10. fisicx

33,842 10,043
    An app for a phone that blocks all tracking

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,698 1,843
    At the beginning of December I wished there was software that checked the variable electricity tariff from Octopus every half hour and switch on my air-to-air heat pumps and switch off my gas heating when the electricity cost / efficiency made it more cost effective to use the heat pumps than gas boiler.

I didn't have to wish too long, just long enough for me to write some software :)

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  12. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,698 1,843
    People underestimate how much people that install free plugins are prepared to pay for help ( generally nothing )

The actually 'big' money doesn't come from the technically floundering, but tends to come from 'real' businesses that what significant extensions. Well that is my experience anyway.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  13. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

26,286 3,218
    Switching the phone off does not work?

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  14. chickenlady

chickenlady UKBF Contributor Free Member

52 14
    I'd presently like something which could scan a product barcode, check the HS number / origin and populate a CN22/3.

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 12:05 PM By: chickenlady Member since: Feb 28, 2019
  15. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

26,286 3,218
    Interesting.
    So would need to be able to read the barcode details from somewhere. And for those details to be accurate.
    My own barcodes would meet that - would barcodes from suppliers do the same?

And can see a problem when barcodes reused. A notebook one year becomes a christmas decoration the following year. But retailer may still be selling the notebook for a couple of years while the supplier sells the decoration.
    Is the product a notebook or a decoration? :)

Posted: Jan 17, 2021 at 12:11 PM By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017