What should I do?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Alan Hope Copywriter, Sep 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stender

stender UKBF Regular Free Member

462 56
    I asked the question as the poster didn't give the impression of being too clued up on the subject and affiliate and dropshipping can be easily confused. I really dont like you on first impressions and purely posted as an annoyance to you which appears to of worked.

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 By: stender Member since: Jul 9, 2008
  2. boho

boho UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,411 135
    Lol, how very grown up of you ;)

Luckily for me your view is not widely shared on this forum then isn't it!

If you ask a daft question which has already been explained and explored by numerous people before you including an obvious statement of fact from the op then it should come with an expectation of some mild flaming :D

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 By: boho Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  3. quikshop

quikshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,705 720
    My word you are being allowed to stay up late :p

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 By: quikshop Member since: Oct 11, 2006
  4. deebee1000

deebee1000 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

32 1
    I'm not sure if your cart software supports CSV product file exports but I would highly recommend loading up to Google Base if it does.

I own a pet products drop ship site and get a significant amount of traffic through Base

Posted: Oct 1, 2008 By: deebee1000 Member since: Sep 13, 2007
  5. davidjgoss87

davidjgoss87 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

117 11
    SEO is quite an investment to make when you are unsure whether your site and range of products itself is effective - you can drive as much traffic to the site as you want but if it's not right at the core then you won't take the money.

I am not going to start second-guessing what sort of business you run because it's your area and not mine, but I think I could suggest a few changes to your website.

As someone mentioned before, the colours are nice but the menu takes your eye off the products. Maybe switch the colours over so the darker purple is around the outside and the lilac is for the menu buttons. You might want to make the darker colour a bit lighter and the lighter one a bit darker as well, because if there's less contrast you'll notice the products more.

Also, viewing in a normal-sized window when I go to your homepage I see one pair of (nice) cufflinks and lots of text. Try to get the products on your homepage above the fold and relegate the text about what you do to below them - the people who want to read it will still do so.

The section at the top where the logo is takes up too much room in my opinion. The HOME link can go at the top of the categories on the left. The DELIVERY and CONTACT US ones should go further down where the About Us and Terms and Conditions links are. Make the "Free UK Mainland Delivery" font smaller and in captials and put it at the top in the border, and make sure it goes to the delivery information when clicked.

Get rid of the DELIVERY and CHECKOUT links and instead review the "items in your cart" bit. Try having an icon of a shopping trolley and then the number of items in brackets next to it (people will get it, don't worry) and then type "View and Checkout" next to it. That basket bit should move into the middle and the currency bit onto the right, in the form of national flags and not a drop-down box. This will make it more immediately obvious to foreign customers that you will sell to them - they like to see their flag.

Also, someone mentioned your photography. When you go into a category e.g. Mens Gifts, the photos of each product look pretty bad, but when you click onto the product details the image is clearer. Maybe the JPEG quality or the proportions aren't right on your category thumbnails? You could probably do with a couple of detail shots e.g. show the inside of the bag and things like that to add a bit of depth.

Once you get to a point where you are happy with your site and your products, hold up before you go down the SEO route. Go for some PPC (e.g. Google Adwords) for a while first. This will give you a quick idea of whether traffic to your site can be converted, as well as getting you some sales without much waiting. Once you are happy that visitors can become customers, then get involved with SEO so you can rely less on PPC long term, but don't cut it out completely, especially at Christmas when you want maximum exposure.

Hope some of this helps.

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 By: davidjgoss87 Member since: Apr 20, 2008
  6. stender

stender UKBF Regular Free Member

462 56
    Some mild flaming. So now who's childish?

And you didn't need to get your mother to stick up for you.

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 By: stender Member since: Jul 9, 2008
  7. Sanny Rover

Sanny Rover UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    Have you try affiliate program? :)

Posted: Oct 2, 2008 By: Sanny Rover Member since: Oct 2, 2008
  8. First in Retail

First in Retail UKBF Newcomer Free Member

145 13
    You have fell foul of the "websites are easy" game.

The facts remain that setting up a website to sell stuff (retail) you have to put in the same time, money, knowledge as you would a bricks and mortor store.

Would you use a solicitor to sort out a lease or do it yourself ?
    would you buy a sign for the front, or do it yourself with some paint from the shed ?
    would you build your own till and fit the shop out?

the list goes on, sorry to be a bit neg, but if your serious about trading online, then you have to A: know what your doing, or B: pay people who do.

Posted: Oct 7, 2008 By: First in Retail Member since: Mar 31, 2008
  9. Alan Hope Copywriter

Alan Hope Copywriter UKBF Regular Free Member

185 8
    First in Retail

Thank you for your comments which I did NOT find negative - I appreciate your views and have taken note of what you have said.

I have certainly learned a lot from this thread with many constructive comments being made - THANK YOU ALL.

Regards

Alan Hope

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 By: Alan Hope Copywriter Member since: Aug 4, 2007
  10. First in Retail

145 13
    If you need very good product photography then head over to www.prodfoto.co.uk

these guys are great :)

But I would say that because it's us :) but seriously we offer fantastic value on photography and if you can get it cheaper (like for like) the we will do it for free.

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 By: First in Retail Member since: Mar 31, 2008
  11. boho

boho UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,411 135
    Thats a good offer, but I think the problem Alan has is that as he's dropshipping he doesn't actually have any of the products to take photos of, so he's stuck with the photos supplied by the suppliers themselves, unfortunately the quality of images on dropshipping sites for products seems to be extremely low, the only way to improve on it seems to be either to obtain the items and get them photographed or to obtain images from the manufacturer or other suppliers own sites instead to compensate.

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 By: boho Member since: Oct 16, 2006
  12. First in Retail

145 13
    sometimes thats the problem, in reality if you can't afford to do it correctly then maybe it should not be done :(

The easier it is to do the more people will do it, barriers to market and all that.

Last edited: Oct 9, 2008
    Posted: Oct 9, 2008 By: First in Retail Member since: Mar 31, 2008
  13. steviemac

steviemac UKBF Regular Full Member

427 64
    Whatever niche you consider going into, make sure you can answer this question: can this item be bough cheaper on Ebay or Amazon? If the answer is yes, you need to have a very good reason why someone would buy it from you instead. If you can't come up with that reason, don't do it!

Exactly! Ebay is the major player, small 'gift' websites cannot survive....full stop.

If people can purchase your product on Ebay cheaper (and believe me they will check prices there first), then you have no mission of being successful.

Gift websites are two a penny, if its not a niche product also, you have even less chance of success. Personally I wouldnt waste any more time on it.sorry

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 By: steviemac Member since: Nov 20, 2007
  14. steviemac

427 64
    Oskar Emil Casablanca 303 mens watch EBAY price: £129

your price: £262

That's what you are up against, and that is a major problem.

Posted: Oct 9, 2008 By: steviemac Member since: Nov 20, 2007
  15. First in Retail

145 13
    Not sure who in there right mind would buy somthing "designer" of Ebay, ist the majority of it fake ?

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 By: First in Retail Member since: Mar 31, 2008
  16. First in Retail

145 13
    Not sure who in there right mind would buy something "designer" of Ebay, ist the majority of it fake ?

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 By: First in Retail Member since: Mar 31, 2008
  17. steviemac

427 64
    not everything is fake just because its old on Ebay

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 By: steviemac Member since: Nov 20, 2007
  18. steviemac

427 64
    not everything is fake just because its sold on Ebay

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 By: steviemac Member since: Nov 20, 2007
  19. maria102

maria102 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3,633 469
    A lot of "designer" stuff is though in fairness, obviously some are real, but not the majority.... I know my handbags! ;)

Posted: Oct 11, 2008 By: maria102 Member since: Oct 25, 2005
  20. Alan Hope Copywriter

Alan Hope Copywriter UKBF Regular Free Member

185 8
    Good Evening All

Just to let those of you know who provided me with their comments/guidance I today closed down my E Commerce site www.aluxurygift4you.com with EKM Powershop.

It was a mistake to enter the Gifts market place with such a broad range of products and a very limited budget and with no SEO experience.

It has been a steep learning curve.

I intend to set up a new E Commerce site once I have done extensive research and found a NICHE product range.

I will also try to negotiate terms with a wholesaler to provide a small number of each product that I sell rather than dropshipping.

Thank you all for the advice you have provided which I will also take into account when developing a new site.

Kind Regards

Alan Hope

Posted: Oct 23, 2008 By: Alan Hope Copywriter Member since: Aug 4, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.