What product do you guys use for payroll?

Discussion in 'Accounts & Finance' started by Jaydee, Jun 26, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jaydee

Jaydee UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,073 278
    I am seriously planning to move away from my current provider (TAS) at the end of this tax year, after using them for 10+ years.

Last year-end was a nightmare - we had to keep rolling back directors and re-running month 12 to clear a bug to allow online P35 filing.

Now for this year, we can no longer export payslips to pdf's without running a fix every time first, and I have now noted that the system is only calculating SMP recovery at 92% rather than at 104.5% even though the employers concerned qualify for small employer relief.

We are only have a small-ish bureau service - perhaps acting for 80 or so employers, with payroll numbers ranging from 1 employee through to about 75 employees.

Any suggestions of who is good to use?
    Also, anyone else had these problems with TAS of late?

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: Jaydee Member since: May 27, 2007
  2. Jheath

Jheath UKBF Regular Free Member

348 58
    we only have 14 staff but we use ableinternetpayroll, it's all HMRC approved and it's 100% accurate (or so they say!)

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: Jheath Member since: Aug 30, 2008
  3. Philip Hoyle

Philip Hoyle UKBF Ace Free Member

2,254 1,092
    Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: Philip Hoyle Member since: Apr 3, 2007
  4. CertaxBexley

CertaxBexley UKBF Newcomer Free Member

343 37
    I've used Moneysoft Payroll Manager without issues

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: CertaxBexley Member since: Jul 6, 2008
  5. CassioAcc

CassioAcc UKBF Newcomer Free Member

960 237
    Another one for Moneysoft although I did trial 12pay and it was a close call.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: CassioAcc Member since: Mar 17, 2008
  6. KM-Tiger

KM-Tiger UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

10,047 2,705
    TAS -> www.payroo.com

Payroo has a very attractive price tag as well as a funny name, and Duane has assured me that it will integrate with KF soon.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: KM-Tiger Member since: Aug 10, 2003
  7. Blackberry

Blackberry UKBF Regular Free Member

471 91
    12pay. its great

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: Blackberry Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  8. maidofkent

maidofkent UKBF Newcomer Free Member

361 45
    12Pay for me too.

MoK

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: maidofkent Member since: May 4, 2008
  9. Fernhurst Solutions Ltd

Fernhurst Solutions Ltd UKBF Newcomer Full Member

1,152 124
    Votes from me for either MoneySoft or Payroo .....

:)

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: Fernhurst Solutions Ltd Member since: Jul 18, 2007
  10. David Griffiths

David Griffiths UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

11,426 3,561
    We use Moneysoft in the office, for about three years now following the debacle with Iris. I'd guess about 40 - 50 payrolls.

One thing that, I believe, 12Pay does that Moneysoft doesn't is import data from spreadsheets. I'd like to move to a model where the clients give us the data in a set form - such as a spreadsheet - and we simplly import it. The problem is that my payroll lady would fight tooth and nail to keep Moneysoft!

We also have a few clients who use it - basically followed us from Iris so that we can help with year ends and other queries

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
  11. Jaydee

1,073 278
    Thanks all for your feedback.

I have had a quick look at the three websites, but not downloaded anything so far.

First impressions :-

payroo = too basic (bureau size of 3 clients!)

moneysoft = excellent website, will need to cheque that I can run payslips to pdf as it does not implicitly say so.

12pay = looks OK too, but pre-download I am preferring moneysoft (not 100% why) - (Aside: Tom you refer to companys rather than companies on your website)

Further impression :-

Goodness me, they are all cheap compared with TAS, which appears to be £600 per annum just for support (although I am using that far more often of late!)

In fact, so cheap that I may purchase earlier than next tax y/e and run the data side-by-side rather than trying to make the change next April 5.

12. David Griffiths

David Griffiths UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

11,426 3,561
    I can confirm that you can print Moneysoft payslips (and any other report) to pdf. You can even specify if multiple payslips should be printed to one pdf or separate files.

As far as support is concerned, I dont' think that we've ever called them!

I bet you won't run side by side for very long.

One other factor in Moneysoft - it deals with the CIS scheme, including online filing of the monthly returns. And it does P11ds with online filing. Don't know about the others.

PS - people who have to cheque details are throwing stones in greenhouses when referring to companys! :D

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: David Griffiths Member since: Jun 21, 2008
  13. Alpha

Alpha UKBF Newcomer Full Member

4,130 518
    I will confirm that it produces payslips to pdf (we use the facility for around 30 clients:), I have to admit we still use Sage payroll for larger client payrolls but that is historical)

Moneysoft also produces payslips which are compatible with sage stationery.

Also great for CIS and you can also produce and file P11d's from it:)

Edit

It took me so long to complete this that David has already covered my answer.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: Alpha Member since: Feb 16, 2004
  14. Jaydee

1,073 278
    Oops :redface:

I am also not sure that they are called prodcuts either - I hope that it means that my brain is too quick for my fingers rather than the other way round...

15. Tom McClelland

Tom McClelland UKBF Ace Full Member

2,890 789
    Thanks for that. A brainstorm. I think it was correct everywhere else, even in the next sentence.

Adam of Armstrong Payroll Solutions gave a list of reasons why he prefers 12Pay to Moneysoft having used both extensively. Other people who've expressed a preference for one or the other haven't usually said why. But YMMV.

http://www.ukbusinessforums.co.uk/forums/showpost.php?p=704441&postcount=10

We do CIS too, but not P11D. The commercial fact is that client/bureau demand for P11D seems irrelevantly tiny to us, and the bureaus that we've spoken to about this agree, so we prefer to direct development effort elsewhere. Some may differ, perhaps it depends on market segment.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: Tom McClelland Member since: Feb 10, 2008
  16. Jaydee

1,073 278
    Thanks for that Tom - no P11d is no biggie for me as I use Iris for that at the moment and would likely continue to do so even if I choose a payroll package that could do them.

What does Adam mean when he refers to "importing employee details" - could I import standing data when migrating across from TAS rather than re-keying?

17. Tom McClelland

Tom McClelland UKBF Ace Full Member

2,890 789
    If you can get a spreadsheet or csv rectangle of data out of TAS then you can import that into 12Pay. You just have to add appropriate column headings, and the columns can be in any order.

Possibly even more useful, long-term, particularly for bureaus with larger clients, is that you can synchronise existing data in the same way at any time. So your clients can maintain a spreadsheet of employee details and you just import it for things like name/address changes and so on.

Naturally all such imported/synchronised data is subject to the same validation constraints as would apply if the data were keyed in manually so you can't backdoor invalid data in through that route.

Posted: Jun 26, 2009 By: Tom McClelland Member since: Feb 10, 2008
  18. weebly_one

weebly_one UKBF Regular Free Member

441 66
    Although it is not popular on this forum, I use Sage Payroll for my own business, and when I worked for a Payroll Bureaux last year they also used Sage for 70 plus companies.

I am biased though, we are a Sage dealer and I get commission on any Sales I make of the product.

Posted: Jun 27, 2009 By: weebly_one Member since: Feb 26, 2009
  19. MyAccountantOnline

MyAccountantOnline UKBF Legend Full Member

13,303 2,500
    A bit late - but I am another Moneysoft user.

Fantastic product, easy to use, well supported and good price.

We use it in-house for clients payroll and recommend it as first choice for clients wanting to run their own payroll.

Posted: Jun 27, 2009 By: MyAccountantOnline Member since: Sep 24, 2008
  20. RAL

RAL UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

723 177
    We pay about £2000.00 annual support fees for Payrite payoll software. Even this fee is for one user licence.

Posted: Jun 27, 2009 By: RAL Member since: Aug 31, 2008
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.