What is Royal Mail 48 and how much does it cost ?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Justin Smith, Oct 8, 2018.

1. Justin Smith

Justin Smith UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

545 57
    I run a small company selling poles / brackets / aerials etc and I`m constantly amazed at how cheaply some E Bay traders can send out orders. We`ve just been trying to work out how anyone can send out a 2x2 clamp for £5.95 incl VAT and carriage. They`re too big to go as a RM large letter and weigh nearly 0.5Kg, I assume they`ll send them Royal Mail 48. More than once we`ve had stuff sent to us (purchased as a "test" to see how the retailer does it) Royal Mail 48. Is it cheaper than franked small or medium parcels ? If so how cheap is it ? I have tried few times to get RM to come round and talk to me about any services they could offer me but they`re not bothered, very unprofessional.

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

14,417 1,570
    Off top of my head its £2.71 basic, I average the weight so anything up to 2kg can go for the same cost.
    For heavier stuff I'll send 1st class and keep average weight low.

Rather than have RM come round, try ringing them. The sales staff are nice enough on the phone.
    Quantity level is a thousand items a year posted - that's 20 a week on average.

Oh and posting can ignore the idiotic small / medium parcel sizes the post office has.

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. Justin Smith

545 57
    Thanks for that. That`s only the same as a Franked 2nd class small parcel up to 2Kg, which we can use now with our Franking machine. Most of our stuff has to go out TNT so, particularly with the franking machine for the smaller stuff, we probably wouldn`t be sending out 20 items a week using RM48.
    It still doesn`t explain how that E bay company can send out a 2x2 bracket (trade wholesale cost between £2 and £2.50 + VAT) for £5.95 incl VAT (£4.96 + VAT) ! Even if they were buying the 2x2s for only £2, plus £2.71 carriage = £4.71. I DON`T UNDERSTAND IT !

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  4. Mr D

14,417 1,570
    With franked you pay to update your machine, you pay for ink, you pay for adding credit to the machine.... and do you average weight with franked?

The item you have come across - company is a big seller?
    Discount for volume.

There's also the element of disposing of items. I've occasionally sold stuff below cost to generate feedback or to dispose of.

5. Mr Dibb

Mr Dibb UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 2
    Under 1kg average weight is around £2.20. With quantity discounts you can get it under £2 (10% discount) if I remember correctly.

Posted: Oct 8, 2018 By: Mr Dibb Member since: Jun 1, 2011
  6. Mr D

14,417 1,570
    VAT registered I guess?

7. infinitebargains

infinitebargains UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 1
    That sounds about right, we pay £2.19 (ex VAT) for an RM48 parcel which can be any size up to the max medium parcel dimensions and up to 1KG, 1-2KG is £2.51.

We were told by our account manager we need to do 100 at a time to get any further discount on this price.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 By: infinitebargains Member since: Oct 10, 2014
  8. Justin Smith

545 57
    Thanks for that. Franked parcels (2nd class up to 2Kg) are £2.72 for a small parcel and £4.62 for medium parcel. So, for a small parcel it`s cheaper but not hugely so. For a medium parcel it`s A LOT cheaper.
    The thing is we don`t send a huge amount out RM and the cost of carriage is not usually a deal breaker for our customers, so it`s a matter of how much messing about we`re prepared to do in order to start using RM48 particularly as talking to a RM business manager has proved to be very difficult, TBH they`ve p1ssed me off about it.....
    I have to say I can`t really understand why RM48 is cheaper than RM Franked 2nd class parcels ! What could RM`s business strategy be for that pricing ?

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  9. infinitebargains

infinitebargains UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 1
    We changed from the non VAT (BPL) product code to RM48 once we became VAT registered as it was a decent saving per parcel (not so much for large letter sizes), we were told we need to be sending 1000 per year to stay on the product so around 20 per week.

I'm not sure they have so many different lines of pricing for what is effectively the same service, the RM24/48 is useful for the delivery confirmation however, all large letters and parcels we send have free on-line delivery confirmation which also states if a missed delivery is at the sorting office for the customer to collect.

Posted: Oct 9, 2018 By: infinitebargains Member since: Oct 10, 2014
  10. Justin Smith

545 57
    Have I got this right, RM48 gives delivery confirmation ? That`d be very handy, though TBH we only VERY rarely get a delivery (signed for or not) go missing, possibly once every few years. Mind you if you have to send out at least 1000 per year I don`t think we`d reach that, as I said above most of our orders have to go TNT.

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: Justin Smith Member since: Jun 6, 2012
  11. Mr D

14,417 1,570
    Yes they have delivery confirmation if you dig into the tracking number.

Been using that 3 months now, had 5 people claim their order had not arrived. Two were correct their order had not arrived, one collected it a week after I refunded and I then told them of it and issued an invoice for full amount. The other was reported not arrived after 5 days, was delivered on the 6th for some reason (other 2nd class items took 1 day that week).
    The ones reporting item not arrived that I could show it did suddenly found it or family member suddenly told them about it. As you do of course.... :)

The delivery confirmation has saved my business from refunding about £70 in 3 months. For no extra cost for delivery confirmation.
    Only works on large letter and parcel though. Not letter.

Posted: Oct 10, 2018 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017