What global warming?

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Cornish Steve, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zomex

zomex UKBF Regular Full Member

360 39
    Not if you don't believe in the climate change theory.

These incentives they give away (from tax payers) is pennies compared to how much they make from taxing companies for CO2 emissions. This is the same government that has convinced us that flouride (a toxic by-product of the mining industry) in water is good for our teeth.

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 By: zomex Member since: Sep 10, 2010
  2. ScottishInvestments

ScottishInvestments UKBF Newcomer Free Member

298 81
    I don't disbelief it. I support recycling, green energy and the rest for practical reasons. Fossil fuels are running out and we need to move away from it.

If the government want to give me money for putting solar panels, a wind turbine etc, I'm more than happy to go along with it! Makes perfect sense!

ScotInvest

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 By: ScottishInvestments Member since: Nov 28, 2011
  3. ScottishInvestments

298 81
    Can't edit above post.

Disbelieve* It's getting late... :)

ScotInvest

Posted: Jan 13, 2013 By: ScottishInvestments Member since: Nov 28, 2011
  4. Davek0974

Davek0974 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,602 308
    I've said it many times before, Making ANY impact on a global problem (if there is one) is not going to be done by taxing the feck out of advanced countries just to off-set the muck being pumped out by those not so advanced (was some good old smog on the news at the weekend, Beijing i think). This issue (if there is one) MUST be tackled globally in one go, not piecemeal, and as that is never going to happen, then the issue will likely never go away.

Before i even entertained the thought of putting solar panels or a bloody big fan on the side of my house, i would want to know 100% that those items did not make more pollution in their construction than they will possibly save in their useful life. As no-one has published this data (that i know of, and from a trustworthy source) then i see no reason to do it.

The only info i did find once relating to small scale wind generators is that they are a waste of space and money and will never gain pay-back.

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  5. zomex

zomex UKBF Regular Full Member

360 39
    This is a great point but don't forget that the UK and America are pretty poor in terms of pollution, yes China is worse but countries you'd expect to be doing well to combat this aren't so good. I believe Sweden is one of the most "green" countries. They also have one of the best economies which says a lot.

Posted: Jan 14, 2013 By: zomex Member since: Sep 10, 2010
  6. AlexJohns

AlexJohns UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Hello Community,

Global warming is the increase in the average temperature of the Earth's near-surface air and oceans.

Thanks and Regards,
    Alex Johns

progeaglobal.com

Posted: Jan 17, 2013 By: AlexJohns Member since: Jan 3, 2013
  7. Eclectic communications

Eclectic communications UKBF Newcomer Full Member

25 5
    I will keep this plain and simple, anything that Fox news say's ( Or as we call it in America Faux news, or Fox noise.) is to be taken with a grain of salt. The news company itself is run by the Republican Party. Someone above said can most all the scientists be wrong? Big business and Corporations run the world and the politicians. Just think outside the box.
    Yes, we are changing the climate The studies report that in the last two hundred years the change is accelerating at a rate as never before. This study is not based on a few hundred years, it is done by ice core studies.

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: Eclectic communications Member since: Oct 24, 2012
  8. herewegoagain.

herewegoagain. UKBF Newcomer Free Member

586 242
    lets be honest, this is all about goverments screwing money out of people - simple ohhhh lets tax Joe Blogs ££££££, here is the money, now lets bank it, oh yes, look, that chimney is still smoking..... load of crap it is

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: herewegoagain. Member since: Jul 4, 2012
  9. Digger

Digger UKBF Regular Free Member

290 40
    As has been pointed out - if it "costs" the "government" - what this really entails is public money, ie yours and mine via the via the various schemes and ruses they use to part you from your hard earned - to, in many cases,wee up walls.

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: Digger Member since: Jun 20, 2006
  10. hmmm

hmmm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,722 127
  11. ScottishInvestments

298 81
    Well, I'm doing very well out of it. I say lets keep it :)

ScotInvest

Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: ScottishInvestments Member since: Nov 28, 2011
  12. hmmm

1,722 127
  13. ScottishInvestments

298 81
    Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: ScottishInvestments Member since: Nov 28, 2011
  14. hmmm

1,722 127
    not quite .......

would it be better if i copied a bit from each and posted it ?

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
    Posted: Jan 22, 2013 By: hmmm Member since: Apr 14, 2011
  15. Amanda Dawson

Amanda Dawson UKBF Newcomer Free Member

15 0
    Global Warming is the increase of Earth's average surface temperature due to effect of greenhouse gases, such as carbon dioxide emissions from burning fossil fuels or from deforestation, which trap heat that would otherwise escape from Earth. This is a type of greenhouse effect.
    The most significant greenhouse gas is actually water vapor, not something produced directly by humankind in significant amounts. However, even slight increases in atmospheric levels of carbon dioxide (CO2) can cause a substantial increase in temperature.
    Why is this? There are two reasons: First, although the concentrations of these gases are not nearly as large as that of oxygen and nitrogen (the main constituents of the atmosphere), neither oxygen or nitrogen are greenhouse gases. This is because neither has more than two atoms per molecule (i.e. their molecular forms are O2 and N2, respectively), and so they lack the internal vibrational modes that molecules with more than two atoms have. Both water and CO2, for example, have these "internal vibrational modes", and these vibrational modes can absorb and reradiate infrared radiation, which causes the greenhouse effect.

Human beings have increased the CO2 concentration in the atmosphere by about thirty percent, which is an extremely significant increase, even on inter-glacial timescales. It is believed that human beings are responsible for this because the increase is almost perfectly correlated with increases in fossil fuel combustion, and also due other evidence, such as changes in the ratios of different carbon isotopes in atmospheric CO2 that are consistent with "anthropogenic" (human caused) emissions. The simple fact is, that under "business as usual" conditions, we'll soon reach carbon dioxide concentrations that haven't been seen on Earth in the last 50 million years.
    Global Warming Impacts

Many of the following "harbingers" and "fingerprints" are now well under way:

1. Rising Seas--- inundation of fresh water marshlands (the everglades), low-lying cities, and islands with seawater.
    2. Changes in rainfall patterns --- droughts and fires in some areas, flooding in other areas. See the section above on the recent droughts, for example!
    3. Increased likelihood of extreme events--- such as flooding, hurricanes, etc.
    4. Melting of the ice caps --- loss of habitat near the poles. Polar bears are now thought to be greatly endangered by the shortening of their feeding season due to dwindling ice packs.
    5. Melting glaciers - significant melting of old glaciers is already observed.
    6. Widespread vanishing of animal populations --- following widespread habitat loss.
    7. Spread of disease --- migration of diseases such as malaria to new, now warmer, regions.
    8. Bleaching of Coral Reefs due to warming seas and acidification due to carbonic acid formation --- One third of coral reefs now appear to have been severely damaged by warming seas.
    9. Loss of Plankton due to warming seas --- The enormous (900 mile long) Aleution island ecosystems of orcas (killer whales), sea lions, sea otters, sea urchins, kelp beds, and fish populations, appears to have collapsed due to loss of plankton, leading to loss of sea lions, leading orcas to eat too many sea otters, leading to urchin explosions, leading to loss of kelp beds and their associated fish population

Posted: Jan 25, 2013 By: Amanda Dawson Member since: Jan 14, 2013
  16. hmmm

1,722 127
    were grapes grown in scotland ever ?

Posted: Jan 25, 2013 By: hmmm Member since: Apr 14, 2011
  17. heatpumps

heatpumps UKBF Newcomer Free Member

7 0
    Global warming now a days this is an serious problem which we are facing but because of this our future is in danger.the main reason behind global warming is pollution and basically use of chlorofluorocarbons, these gases causes depletion of ozone layer and because of this temperature of earth increases day by day.To secure our next generation we have to sustain energy and should go green.

Posted: Feb 1, 2013 By: heatpumps Member since: Nov 21, 2012
  18. modesol

modesol UKBF Newcomer Full Member

5 2
    I am afraid I don't have a huge amount of time for 'Greens' who seem to think that the only way to stop the tide and seas is by penalising humanity.

We are in an Interstitial Ice Age, which means that there is ice at both poles.

Only a mere 10,000 years ago there were glaciers as far south as Watford Gap Services, the fact that there aren't glaciers now suggests that the Earth has been getting warmer since then.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure out that a warming phase is a natural process with many different factors causing various aspects of climate development.

What really irritates me is how people with other agendas (especially greens) manipulate statistics to prove arguments.

The Earth has been warming for the last two hundred years people exclaim, before imposing higher fuel penalties and duties that cripple the average working man.

And yet take the period from 1350 - 1850 and there is an extended period of cooling!! Go figure, figures often left out of most equations.

fact is that the Earth has been warming since and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it.

What would be wrong is to penalise business and individuals for a natural event that is happening s slowly that it is unlikely that it will affect any of us in our life times.

And to the person who highlighted the BBC as a source of bona fide information, the BBC ran a documentary two years ago 60% of which has been proven erroneous.

In 2010 Prof. Jones dismissed the evidence that any warming can be the result of influence from the Sun, a fact that has recently been blown out of the water along with many AGW myths thanks to more open minds within the Scientific Community.

He also said in 2001 that from 2008 we wouldn't see snow again in this country and great swathes of the South East would be marsh land or under water, a fact I know about, having been presented with the re-defined landscape projections for Kent during an emergency meeting in 2000, none of which have transpired and the water levels have in fact risen consistent with annual and 60 year averages!

So, the only answer is to ignore the fatalistic warnings, the TV commercials that terrify children and the poor science that has been proven wrong time and again and fight against these ridiculous financial impositions and business restrictions.

My rule of thumb is if it is green, then take anti-biotics and get on with living.

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 By: modesol Member since: Jan 19, 2013
  19. ITL_1

ITL_1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 1
    I don't really take a stand about the concept of global warming.
    Publications are contradicting on it anyway.

But I think we need to think about our planet (the earth), its the only home
    we have. We should be mindful of how actions collectively.

Mother nature has a way of taking care of itself, but sometimes our ACTIONS
    can be harmful.

Personally, I will say, imagine 'the environment" is your skin (body) wont you take care of it?

- Olu.

Posted: Feb 2, 2013 By: ITL_1 Member since: Feb 2, 2013
  20. Instabus

Instabus UKBF Regular Full Member

218 24
    It frustrates me that both parties in this debate regularly fail to look at it in the right way.

My view is that if all the politicisation is removed from this argument then you are left with the facts that the earth is warming, becoming more polluted and (rain)forests are being destroyed.

Now whether or not humans are directly responsible for the rise in temperature is not really the point. But nobody can argue that we are the cause of the pollution and for the destruction of the (rain)forests which if we were to address with the level of urgency that we should, then we know that we can improve the quality of life for generations to come.

You don't have to have a science degree to know that trees absorb carbon dioxide and produce oxygen therefore improving the quality of air that we all have to breathe, and pumping poisonous gases into the atmosphere not only damages the air quality but also the river systems and water supplies. Not to mention all of the knock on effects to the ecosystems that depend on clean air and water, which we in turn depend on for growing healthy crops to produce our food.

Perhaps if we focus on doing what we need to do in order to keep breathing clean air and drinking clean water, then the consequence might be that we stem the rise in temperature and reduce the greenhouse gases. If it doesn't then at least we are looking after our planet better which seems to be the all to often forgotten part of this debate.

Posted: Feb 3, 2013 By: Instabus Member since: Oct 14, 2012
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.