What global warming?

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Cornish Steve, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Top Hat

Top Hat UKBF Ace Free Member

2,182 172
    Posted: Jul 30, 2012 By: Top Hat Member since: Mar 3, 2005
  2. Richard tj

Richard tj Guest

10 0
    We run a business that in part operates on what the original poster refers to as "hype". Anyone who has even a small part to play in this debate would be aware that Global Warming results in wilder weather conditions- as we are seeing in the Uk this year alone. A number of my close acquaintances don't believe in Global warming. I've read (or tried to) a couple of books that debunk the idea, yet the arguments against Global warming seem to be based upon rather weak ideas that attack the science, rather than provide a valid argument why it's not occuring. I have yet to see any form of science that shows we are not the cause of Global Warming. At best, it side steps the issue, pointing to Solar Activity as the reason for climate change. However, the Sun's been going through a minimum and we've been experiencing serious changes in our climate, as jet streams move erratically and ocean currents change perceptably. Even without Global Warming, we've changed our climate so much that we're now indirectly killing off entire ecosystems. From Acid rain in the 80's to Ocean acidification and (CO2 deposition in the Oceans to such an extent that Coral is dying off) the disruption of entire food chains, we've got to worry.

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 By: Richard tj Member since: Oct 23, 2009
  3. stressman

stressman UKBF Newcomer Free Member

19 3
    In reading all these comments, we have the doubters, non - believers, and believers in global warming. What concerns me do we really understand what's going on, if we are over populating the planet and its resources there must be consequences which we need to face up to? We do have a responsibility to our next generation, they are the ones who will be facing some serious environmental challenges and in the way we do business?

Stressman

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 By: stressman Member since: Apr 4, 2012
  4. Davek0974

Davek0974 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,602 308
    What concerns me is does anyone actually believe that taxing and controlling the UK to the limits all in the image of "being green" is actually going to make one tiny bit of difference globally? I think the answer is no.

If its a global problem then it must be tackled globally not piece-meal as all we are doing is offsetting our nice clean environment against the filth belching out of say India or China. Its a fruitless battle, if the whole UK stopped using fossil fuels and ceased to exist overnight, would it affect the world? I think the answer is no.

I'm not saying we should all go out and piss fuel up the walls, we have a responsibility to use this planet as sensibly as possible so it makes sense to develop and use more efficient vehicles etc, but don't tag it with the "global warming" or "climate change" banner, put it down to human responsibility, and don't tax us for doing so - that is purely profiteering.

Posted: Aug 3, 2012 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  5. hmmm

hmmm UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1,722 127
    Posted: Aug 5, 2012 By: hmmm Member since: Apr 14, 2011
  6. Niamh-Allan

Niamh-Allan UKBF Newcomer Free Member

25 0
    Global warming is happening because of green house effect. It is responsibility of every human to take measures to reduce the effect of global warming.

Posted: Aug 7, 2012 By: Niamh-Allan Member since: Oct 17, 2011
  7. celina29

celina29 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    Hey hi..i just read your post. it's really informative. i think have you done great work. Thank you for sharing such a nice information.

Posted: Aug 7, 2012 By: celina29 Member since: Jul 16, 2012
  8. apparel candy clothing

apparel candy clothing UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    such a informative threads you post here! really i appreciate this .

Posted: Aug 8, 2012 By: apparel candy clothing Member since: Aug 8, 2012
  9. hmmm

1,722 127
    i often wonder if we are ment to take gas and oil from the earth.
    in nature things live off other things.some times one will destroy the other.sometimes they work together.
    a cat will kill a bird.but i does not worry as there are mice to eat.
    it does not kill the bird with the knowledge that doing so could threat its own life.it knows there are other meals to sustain its life cycle.
    some sharks have little fishy wishys that swim with it,cleaning parasites off its skin.in return the shark keeps predators away from the ickle fishes.the work together .
    what if the earth needs humans to take gas and oil from it to prevent it doing things?
    in return for us doing so it supplies us with things we need to progress.
    i also think sometimes that the earth is sun bathing.after a certain time it needs to "move" or "turn around".in doing so it regenerates those parts that have been browned off.shading them to tan the other parts that were shaded .
    these are only my thoughts that may well be aload of baloney.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2012
    Posted: Aug 9, 2012 By: hmmm Member since: Apr 14, 2011
  10. Davek0974

Davek0974 UKBF Ace Free Member

2,602 308
    I think the term is Synergy.

It's a slightly romantic way of looking at the world but interesting none the less. I don't think the oil was put there for a reason, we know it was created by fossil decay over millions of years, thing is, it's still being created but we just don't know how fast.

Personally I think the world is reasonably self-regulating but we keep interfering - there are millions of starving people, we keep seeing the adverts on tv, but rather than have them move on or die out, they get money (well some) to enable a false existence to be propagated. It's clear the land they live on can't sustain them.

The world is most likely overpopulated but technology has given us the ability to control many diseases that would likely have wiped out tens of millions of people, is it right or wrong? We can now save babies that naturally would have not survived, is it right or wrong? Is technology the real problem or is the people that are the problem?

Ramble over ;)

Last edited: Aug 17, 2012
    Posted: Aug 17, 2012 By: Davek0974 Member since: Mar 7, 2008
  11. detgadget

detgadget UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 3
    I couldn't agree with you more.

Posted: Aug 29, 2012 By: detgadget Member since: Aug 29, 2012
  12. hmmm

1,722 127
    Posted: Sep 10, 2012 By: hmmm Member since: Apr 14, 2011
  13. CrLucch

CrLucch UKBF Newcomer Free Member

11 1
    I haven't read the entire thread yet, but I just want to share a documentary I saw about global warming. I think it's title "The Great Global Warming Swindle". Made me look look at this whole issue differently. If anyone has seen it too, I'd love to hear your take.

Posted: Sep 20, 2012 By: CrLucch Member since: Sep 20, 2012
  14. Penpusher

Penpusher UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 1
    As your quoting films, if you haven't yet seen "An Inconvenient Truth" then do so. Maybe a few years old but what was predicted seems to be happening, i.e. extreme weather, melting of the polar ice caps.... I think the term Global Warming can be a bit of a misnomer, you just have to experience a British Summer to known that it's just doesn't apply! Climate Change is better. I believe the problem exists but the solution requires radical, long-term thinking. The reliance on fossil fuels and the tax benefits associated with it is well known but rather than seeking and investing in alternatives (and generating jobs) the countries of the world (OK the USA) are still intent on searching high and low for the next supply. The governments aren't ignorant of Climate Change, they just lack the courage to deal with it, and here we can discuss the corruption that exists.

My advice - buy a house with land, on a hill, so that you can farm your own crops and not get flooded by the meltwaters. Because nothing is going to be done until its too late ;)

Posted: Sep 21, 2012 By: Penpusher Member since: Sep 17, 2010
  15. herewegoagain.

herewegoagain. UKBF Newcomer Free Member

586 242
    This green thing really starts to 'get my goat'!

The planet has gone through many changes, long before the Industrial Revolution - when fossil fuels (for example) started to be used in any vast quantity - for example the Ice Age...

I would suspect that there is more natural emissions coming from a cow's backside - or some of the hot air on here that is causing more (natural...) pollution.

Green Tax = Stealth Tax - pure and simple...

Oh, (says the Government...) lets put the car tax up so it will reduce pollution...

HOW?? Do they place orders with BOC to pump oxygen into the atmosphere? NO!! - it just gets more money in the coffers !

This (and any other Government) will not 'kill the goose that lays the golden egg' - they want people to use their cars less - but still want the excessive duty from the petrol, road tax, MOT fees, insurance premium tax etc....the words 'cake' and 'eat it' spring to mind !

So while all of the new 'industrial powerhouses' India and China for example, get on with doing business and having a thriving economy, we shall be sat in the dark, cold in our homes, with no industry or money in our back pockets - ...but at least we will feel better about been 'green'

It's a load of crap - the lot of it !

Last edited: Sep 22, 2012
    Posted: Sep 22, 2012 By: herewegoagain. Member since: Jul 4, 2012
  16. Penpusher

Penpusher UKBF Newcomer Free Member

13 1
    True and I think that it's arrogant of the human race to believe that they can change Mother Nature, but by the same token the additional carbon in the atmosphere has been shown to be affecting climate and the acidity of the seas. Man-made or natural? Who can really know for sure but its clear we are not helping.

Too right!! ;) The problem is that much of this methane from natural and manufactured sources is safely stored in the Arctic permafrost. A rise in temperature melts the permafrost and ha-presto the old farts are released. :eek:

Couldn't agree with you more. The emphasis is always on hitting those that can lease afford it and do not have the political power to change things. So individuals who have no option to drive to work (because there are no buses) and businesses that need there supplies delivered to them are the ones the suffer. But the big fossil fuel industries, the ones that cause the pollution, that spoil the environment and pay relatively small fines when they screw up, they get government subsidies to make them more profitable and they lobby governments to ensure that they get all the tax breaks they can get. They are the ones the governments should be focusing their attention on not the little guy!

Back to the bovine products again!

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 By: Penpusher Member since: Sep 17, 2010
  17. hmmm

1,722 127
    is it not normal for the methane to be locked in ice then released then locked back in then released and so on?
    how much was locked in when the ice age was at its peak?
    how much has been released since the melt started ?
    it seems to me that far more has been released since the start of the melt than is left.
    my mind cannot comprehend that if the ice was all over europe loaded with methane (im guessing it had methane in it) that the amounts left since the retreat of ice could possibly do any damage.

im sure dinosaurs trumped as much if not more than cows

Posted: Sep 23, 2012 By: hmmm Member since: Apr 14, 2011
  18. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    Posted: Sep 23, 2012 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  19. herewegoagain.

herewegoagain. UKBF Newcomer Free Member

586 242
    I like your style Penpusher !

Posted: Sep 24, 2012 By: herewegoagain. Member since: Jul 4, 2012
  20. hmmm