What global warming?

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Cornish Steve, Mar 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    I realize it's a bit controversial to post this message in the Green Room but, as business owners, it's important we face facts when building a strategy.

I just read another report that criticizes the paranoia that exists around global warning. I've seen several such reports over the last few years, which claim that global warming either isn't an issue or just plain doesn't exist. Take some of the claims in this article, for example:

1) Global temperatures have cooled in the last decade, enough to wipe out the one degree rise of the previous 100 years.

2) Mankind is responsible for a fraction of one percent of the effect of greenhouse gases.

3) Governments are unnecessarily imposing regulations that make us poorer (higher prices for traditional fuels) and less safe (smaller and lighter cars).

If this is true, then businesses that play to the global warming message would appear to be riding on hype. Can such a strategy succeed in the long-term?

Of course, global warming is just one of many aspects of the green agenda. Still, it's the most emotive, so it's right to look at real data to see whether the tales of woe we hear all the time are based on fact.

For anyone interested, here's the report to which I referred above: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,334682,00.html .

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  2. Ashley_Price

Ashley_Price UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

7,145 1,313
    I am a paid up member of the Green Party - so you can guess what my beliefs are.

But, can so many scientists be wrong? See this article from the BBC as just one of many examples

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: Ashley_Price Member since: Feb 9, 2008
  3. Smudge

Smudge UKBF Newcomer Free Member

202 5
    Could it be just as simply as the Sun getting warmer. As it has done in the past?

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: Smudge Member since: Mar 9, 2007
  4. telemax

telemax UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,295 732
    We can argue whether climate change is happening or not. I tend to think it is, but it has been totally politicised, and there is mass media hysteria. Then everything is blamed on global warming.

For example Last year was one of the lowest snowfalls ever in Montreal, the media was talking about , how the skiing industry will need to adjust in the future, and how snow clearing may be cut back.

This year is 30 cm of snow away from an all time record and we are due a 35 cm wallop of snow tonight, we have had nearly 4 metres of the stuff. One of my friends here has a neigbour who hasn't bothered cleaning snow its 10 feet high with a car buried under it on the driveway.

Guess what the media is saying, it might be to do with global warming!!

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: telemax Member since: Feb 14, 2006
  5. AdamW

AdamW UKBF Newcomer Free Member

482 38
    Well said! I strongly agree it is happening but the way it is politicised takes away from it, if that makes sense.

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: AdamW Member since: Jun 17, 2007
  6. templarmc

templarmc UKBF Newcomer Free Member

485 50
    I follow James Whale's stance on this I'm afraid.

Personally, is it not just like eating ten big Macs then drinking Diet Coke? Funny how all the political parties, big businesses etc. suddenly claim to be concerned - never mind the profits, the votes etc.

How many artists at Live Earth walked there, and how many flew in private jets, drove around in limos etc.?

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: templarmc Member since: Sep 8, 2006
  7. Grassman

Grassman UKBF Newcomer Free Member

576 46
    It was a lot warmer when it was colder, and I had a lot more money in my pocket :rolleyes:

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: Grassman Member since: Nov 26, 2007
  8. Jenni384

Jenni384 UKBF Big Shot Full Member

4,861 1,542
    What gets me is that the media find a bandwagon and get everyone to jump on it. This year's buzz word is Global Warming.

I personally believe the Earth goes through her own cycles and gets cooler and warmer over the years. I believe that mankind has made a difference and speedd up the warming process, but not as much as is implied by the media.

Whoever is responsible, surely the focus should not be on Global Warming or whatever buzz-word is around at the time, but on fostering a respect for the world on which and through which we live. Typical of society that we only look for a solution to a problem, rather than pre-empting the problems before they happen. Logic says pollution is bad and wasting energy is bad. I don't give a monkey's about Global Warming - but am concerned about pollution and energy consumption and my relationship with the earth. It's the same end result but the focus is different.
    I'm rambling, hopefully what I've said will make sense... we'll see!

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: Jenni384 Member since: Oct 1, 2007
  9. sirearl

sirearl UKBF Legend Free Member

29,807 6,645
    well as we get all our energy from the sun therefore all our heat and the sun is 1 million times larger than the earth.

One has to wonder about our puny efforts in the scheme of things.

Earl

Posted: Mar 4, 2008 By: sirearl Member since: Apr 23, 2007
  10. Rhyl Lightworks

Rhyl Lightworks UKBF Ace Free Member

2,536 425
    Fox News does make the Daily Mail look like Communist propoganda.
    Barrie

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 By: Rhyl Lightworks Member since: Aug 16, 2006
  11. Grassman

576 46
    You are so 2007 FF
    This years buzz words are 'Climate Change'
    They cant really call it global warming any more because 1998 was (globally) the warmest year man has ever personally recorded. That record is now a complete decade away and so Global Warming goes more out of touch as each month passes.
    Indeed, get with the times as Climate Change is fast becoming last years Global Warming. It's very clever too, because the slightest little obscure weather pattern around the world can be blamed on us and our taxes increased to 'save the planet' :mad:
    Oh how our future ancesters will look back and mock us. 'The world is flat' springs to mind :rolleyes:

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 By: Grassman Member since: Nov 26, 2007
  12. telemax

telemax UKBF Big Shot Free Member

3,295 732
    It's also funny how the solution to this problem is thousands of politicians getting on jets and flying to the other side of the word for an all expenses paid trip. Why wasn't the carbon footprint of that conference in Bali made public?

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 By: telemax Member since: Feb 14, 2006
  13. MH1

MH1 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,585 488
    According to the radio this is one of the coldest years on record around the world, with europe being an exception rather than the rule.

A load of hot air around the subject if you'll pardon the pun, I personally believe it is just a normal warming up cycle / alteration period in the earths history, doubtless it will get colder again in the future.

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 By: MH1 Member since: Dec 27, 2007
  14. Grassman

576 46
    There are 10 year old kids walking about that have never known it so cold :D

Posted: Mar 5, 2008 By: Grassman Member since: Nov 26, 2007
  15. ianw

ianw UKBF Newcomer Free Member

33 1
    The earth does warm and cool naturally, this is caused by levels of CO2. As we are contributing to CO2 output the climate change is being brought about quicker then what it usually would.

"Ice cores reveal the Earth's natural climate rhythm over the last 800,000 years. When carbon dioxide changed there was always an accompanying climate change. Over the last 200 years human activity has increased carbon dioxide to well outside the natural range," explained Dr Wolff. http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/5314592.stm

Posted: Mar 6, 2008 By: ianw Member since: Jan 8, 2008
  16. makhmalee

makhmalee UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 2
    The IPCC also warned that the cost of acting now to reduce emissions would be far less than having to adapt to the future consequences of climate change.

Posted: Mar 14, 2008 By: makhmalee Member since: Sep 22, 2007
  17. Chris H

Chris H UKBF Newcomer Free Member

685 38
    If there wasn't revenue to be raised with 'green taxes' or research grants set aside specifically for 'climate change' then no one in authority would give a toss.

The whole frenzy about global warming and climate change means that I've become cynical to the extreme whenever 'green issues' are raised.

Nowt wrong with dealing with pollution, recycling, waste or managing the earth's resources, all common sense stewardship things. But the other things that have piggy backed onto environmental issues?

Bah!

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 By: Chris H Member since: Oct 12, 2006
  18. Dawg

Dawg UKBF Newcomer Free Member

10,900 3,466
    The IPCC report is flawed by many things, one of which is the lack of technological advances being factored into cost and growth calculations.
    Technology has meant, for instance, the cost of long life bulbs is falling fast. Similarly, the cost of solar panels is due to fall substantially over the next decade. Given these falls, the perceived cost of change now is vastly greater than the future cost. If we spend the monies advocated by the IPCC, Stern et al. we are mortgaging the future incomes of grandchildren to pay for faulty analysis.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 By: Dawg Member since: Feb 12, 2006
  19. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    I read an interesting news article over the weekend. The founder of The Weather Channel in the US is going to sue Al Gore for fraud. He believes that, by taking the issue of global warming through the courts, the public will be able to see through all the hype and politics and get at the scientific truth. If there turns out to be no firm evidence for global warming, those who are making money from the lie (including Al Gore and his followers) will have to pay damages. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  20. AdamJ

AdamJ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

775 170
    The one underlying problem is that none of us here, and most people in the world, know what we're talking about when it comes to climate change / global warming. Sadly this includes politicians who come up with tax-raising 'green' strategies based on little understandng of the facts.

I profess to also understand very little - one minute its 'confirmed - hottest year ever recorded', then you read another article stating how a lot of temperature recording is done using static weather stations. When these were built they were outside towns and cities whereas now they're subsumed by them, and hence are recording higher temperatures as urban areas are generally warmer than rural. Is this right - dunno. But if anyone is serious about understanding it, reading newspapers or watching anything in media is generally the last place to do it if you want sound, unbiased facts. E.g. constant newspaper reprots attributing a single weather event, or short series of weather events throught a year or even decade as being 'due to climate change', which is most palpably nonsense - even the most ardent 'man is responsible' scientists agree single short-term, and usually local, events are of no value in the climate change debate. This is then compounded that what one scientist says will be counteracted by what another says.

If any scientist says 'yes, this is proof that climate change is 100% absolutely and uncontestably man-made', then yes, they are wrong. Science at its most fundamental consists of the proposition of identifying a phenomena, creating a theory to explain how it works and then work to try and prove it, and most often work to prove it wrong. If it can't be proved wrong then its accepted, but true science is always open to the possibility that something may come along which proves the hypothesis untrue. To quote Einstein "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right, a single experiement can prove me wrong". See 'scientific method' on Wikipedia for an explanation of how observing the effect (in this case climate change) cannot be taken as proof of the cause.

There is one scary element to the whole climate change issue though - this being that to deny that man is the cause, or even that man's effect is very low, usually results in screams of 'luddite'. Its almost as though believing it is compulsory and anyone who does not is a subversive threat to society and should be shouted down immediately. Most worrying.

Posted: Mar 17, 2008 By: AdamJ Member since: Oct 12, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.