what fees will my EU customers be charged now after Brexit?

Discussion in 'International Business' started by jon shepherd, Mar 4, 2021.

1. jon shepherd

jon shepherd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    We are an UK online retailer and im just trying to pin down exactly what fees our EU based customers will now be charged after Brexit

As I understand it, EU customers who make a purchase with us for orders over 150 euros are liable for duty charges on arrival

However what about orders under that amount?
    Will they be liable to pay extra VAT on orders to accept their deliveries?

Our products are manufactured in the UK and China if this makes a difference to the situation

thanks

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 By: jon shepherd Member since: Nov 9, 2018
  2. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,401 909
    Over 22 euros (until June), they will be liable to pay VAT - not "extra" VAT, but the same VAT they would normally pay, at their local rate.

After June, the 22 euro exemption will be removed.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  3. Mike Godwin

Mike Godwin UKBF Regular Free Member

162 42
    The EU-UK Trade and Cooperation Agreement provides for zero tariffs and zero quotas on all trade in goods originating in the EU or the UK. The zero tariff and zero quota provisions apply to all goods that comply with the appropriate rules of origin. This means that additional tariffs may apply to goods that are not EU or UK originating. So you may be liable to duty/tax on China origin goods. On top of that will be VAT and fees for UK export customs clearance & EU import customs clearance, that will vary depending on the carrier and mode of transport.

Posted: Mar 4, 2021 By: Mike Godwin Member since: Mar 27, 2018
  4. Trevor Andrews

Trevor Andrews UKBF Regular Free Member

119 34
    We live in Spain and we have just bought £140 of goods from a U.K. supplier. They charged us £18 for shipping. It arrived here and we had to pay €78. Some €42 was for Spanish VAT that we would normally pay direct to the government, the other €36 was courier fees. These products had China as country of origin.

I am not sure but this £135 (€150) seems to be for private gifts. I have also seen it suggested that you need to be registered with HMRC for VAT.

Hope this helps.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: Trevor Andrews Member since: Feb 9, 2021
  5. apricot

apricot UKBF Regular Free Member

427 43
    One of my customer in Belgium was charged 36Eur of an item that 26Eur

Another customer in Denmark was charged 29Eur , I don't remember the item fee but it was just over 22Eur

They were both dispatched with Royal Mail

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: apricot Member since: Apr 7, 2012
  6. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

28,175 3,470
    The vat plus the admin charge for paying it then collecting it - which can be the biggest part of the bill - it's up to you whether you want to keep customers happy and send DDP or else send like normal and deal with anyone refusing to pay extra.

Posted: Mar 5, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  7. jon shepherd

jon shepherd UKBF Newcomer Free Member

12 0
    There just seems to be massive inconsistencies at the moment between country to country, and even in specific countries
    Most of our customers are not having to pay anything, but we are getting the occasional complaint of import charges from a few customers

Is anyone planning to sign up to the one stop shop scheme on 1st July?
    Its offering no import VAT or duty will be payable on orders valued under €150 and a return will be made to account for the VAT on all EU sales.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 By: jon shepherd Member since: Nov 9, 2018
  8. japancool

japancool UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,401 909
    Are you charging your EU customers UK VAT inclusive prices?

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 By: japancool Member since: Jul 11, 2013
  9. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

28,175 3,470
    Yes, though date is a little fluid.

Posted: Mar 6, 2021 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017