General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

What do you need to succeed as an affiliate marketer?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Paulo1Chop, Feb 19, 2020.

1. Paulo1Chop

Paulo1Chop UKBF Regular Free Member

116 12
    Hi all,

If you were getting into affiliate marketing or promotion right now, what creatives and tools do you think have the strongest chance of getting the best results?

Just throwing it out there!

Cheers

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 By: Paulo1Chop Member since: Jul 12, 2019
  2. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,456 897
    I used to have a network of affiliate sites, the last of which I shut down about a year ago. The ones that worked best always had a clear niches, with good relevant affiliate products.

Of course, you need traffic if you're going to set up web sites. Lots of new content, ideally automated, keep things fresh.

I also set up Twitter accounts for a couple of the sites and those actually converted better than the site traffic. Maybe that's a sign.

Never used Instagram, so can't comment on that.

AT the end of the day, even with the sites and Twitter accounts fully automated it wasn't worth the hassle of keeping them running for the small amount of revenue they were generating.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  3. Paulo1Chop

116 12
    Thanks for that Matt.

So would you say that Social media was the best place where you could generate clicks and engagement with the offers you were promoting?

If the numbers and rewards where there and you had to populate a suite of affiliate tools what would be in it?

4. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,842 10,043
    It all depends on what you are selling and to whom.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  5. mattk

mattk UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2,456 897
    Social media worked best for me, but it is chicken and egg. You need lots of good content to get followers and you need followers to get clicks.

Therefore, I'm not sure who you would be able to generate content just for social media without having a physical site behind the account.

Posted: Feb 19, 2020 By: mattk Member since: Dec 5, 2005
  6. Paulo1Chop

116 12
    Potentially a software to SMEs

7. Stephen Linden-Wyatt

Stephen Linden-Wyatt UKBF Contributor Free Member

30 1
    In 2003 I became disabled and started an affiliate travel website. My son tried the same format in 2017/18 but closed it down as it no longer works.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 By: Stephen Linden-Wyatt Member since: Jan 30, 2020
  8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,842 10,043
    What makes you think SMEs will be looking on SM for software?

Software is a considered product - they will be doing research. They won't hope to find a solution on twitter. Unless of course they ask for help and they will get recommendations. This won't help your affiliate sales. An SME will prefer to go to the source.

Posted: Feb 21, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. jurassicaffirm

jurassicaffirm UKBF Contributor Free Member

35 5
    I think that you need to generate traffic, which means you have to have a good follower base. Also, the products you offer should be actually connected to what you usually talk about in your blog or whatever you do, so people would get them because they think they are actually useful to them and can improve their day to day lives. I'm not an expert, but from a consumer side, I would guess that these are the main points.

Posted: Feb 24, 2020 By: jurassicaffirm Member since: Nov 13, 2018
  10. James Laden

James Laden UKBF Contributor Full Member

34 1
    In 2021 affiliate marketing has moved away from traditional online media such as blogs. The best engagement now has move to the social platform. So I would say now you need a good following on socials for example Instagram.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 By: James Laden Member since: Dec 30, 2020
  11. Alan

Alan UKBF Legend Full Member - Verified Business

6,698 1,843
    Interesting thread. How do you create a following on social media for something as a boring as SME software? I understand how you do it if you are a 'personality' doing online fitness, or a chef taking photographs of recipes, but there is a limit.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 By: Alan Member since: Aug 16, 2011
  12. InternetMarketingPlatinum

InternetMarketingPlatinum UKBF Ace Full Member

1,589 211
    You just need to become an authority in the field. I don't know what your business product is but say it was about productivity you could speak about pain points that business people have. Such as not enough time. Too much to do etc. You need high quality content and to invest time and money into it. The bar has been raised over the years. Take it from somebody who's done both client SEO work and affiliate marketing for years. You just have to keep improving and become better and better. Constant improvement.

Posted: Dec 30, 2020 By: InternetMarketingPlatinum Member since: Jul 21, 2009
  13. Alan

6,698 1,843
    I like word 'just'. Understated as it is. An authority is of course very different to an expert.

14. InternetMarketingPlatinum

1,589 211
    Yes you're right it isn't as easy as it sounds. Many peoples' approach to affiliate marketing is just wrong. For a start it's unethical for someone to become an affiliate of a product or service that they don't use. Or else how can they be an expert on it? Also there's so many self proclaimed experts who are disproved to be experts.

15. Alan

6,698 1,843
    Hmm, not sure it is always unethical, for instance there are a million discount coupon sites that are affiliate and don't use the products and I don't feel they are particularly unethical.

BTW I'm an awful affiliate marketer, indeed I'm an awful marketer and sales person, but the small amount I do earn as an affiliate ( about £300 per year ) is actually on products I use and am happy to recommend.

16. InternetMarketingPlatinum

1,589 211
    If you make £300 you can scale it up to £3000 then to £30,000

I know what you mean regarding the ethics argument. I'm only an affiliate of products and mostly services I use or have significant experience of trying out. Mostly SEO related software. I'll use a few different solutions. It's just my opinion that you can really sell someone unless you use it and have learned all the quirks and little nuances and can make the a honest affiliate. With some solutions I will trial 4 or 5 solutions then go with one of them but compare and create ultimate guides and be affiliates for all 4 or 5 (if they'll let me).

I suppose what I'm basically saying is really get to know whatever you're selling and be able to almost be interviewed about it for hours if needed and know your stuff inside and out.

17. James Laden

James Laden UKBF Contributor Full Member

34 1
    If I started affiliate marketing now I would definitely leverage the power of social media. Using social media for affiliate marketing is also time-saving compared to creating a blog or website.

Industries like fashion have a very good conversion rate on socials. Also, they often have a very good engagement/ conversion rate was you are often promoting the affiliate link to friends and family.

Also, with the inductions of the new feature such as Reels this would open up your affiliate campaign to a whole new audience. These new forms such as TikTok and Instagram reels do not only include friends and family but users from around the globe, how have similar interests.

Good luck!

Posted: Jan 8, 2021 By: James Laden Member since: Dec 30, 2020
  18. Maxwell83

Maxwell83 UKBF Regular Free Member

725 196
    I agree that you can't really 'sell' something that you have not used. But that only applies to affiliates who are actively selling the items.

There is the other type of affiliate that merely allows adverts to be displayed on their digital real-estate, and of course it would be unfair to expect them to test every product that may be advertised.

I think provided its clear what type of affiliate you are (just a digital advertising board with no recommendations of any product advertised), the ethical position is different.

Posted: Jan 10, 2021 By: Maxwell83 Member since: Aug 4, 2012
  19. fkofficial

fkofficial UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    I'm not a "Super Affiliate" at least not just yet, but every day, particularly in terms of marketing, I continue to learn and learn. It's not easy, but I believe that if you don't give up, you can only succeed absolutely. I have learned stuff so far, and I am not going to lie. I'm seeing at least 3 conversions every day (opt-ins). I'm now learning how to sell email so I can turn the opt-ins into sales. It also needs dedication, discipline, aim... all of which I learn with patience. Act on your web copy if you have a website. The conversion would proceed if your web copy is well written (and it could be a freebie).

Posted: Jan 13, 2021 By: fkofficial Member since: Jan 13, 2021
  20. Nilesh56

Nilesh56 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

1 0
    List Of 5 Best Niches For Affiliate Marketing

1. Online Dating

It’s kind of funny looking at how far the online dating industry has come in the last two decades.

It’s one niche for affiliate marketing that’s there since the beginning.

Once upon a time, anyone who used it to find a partner was seen as being a bit…well…weird.

Times have changed though, and online dating isn’t just acceptable – it’s cool!

So how much is the dating industry actually worth?

The most recent estimate says US$2 billion per year and growth of 6% per year predicted for the foreseeable future.

The same data also shows that at least 24% of people use online dating sites, or have used them in the past.

The reason why this industry has become so profitable is that, no matter what people might believe, humans are social animals…
    2. Home Decor

Home décor is one of those evergreen niches worth a serious look.

Why?

Well, because people are either decorating their home to sell it or are renovating a house or apartment they’ve just bought.

People spend an average of between $500 and $5,000 on decorating or renovating each room in their home.

What about recessions?

It’s the same deal, but to a lesser extent – walls need to be painted, sofas need to be replaced, etc.

But homeowners will want to do it as cheaply as possible during a recession, which is a sub-niche in and of itself (but I do like the luxury segment too).

This affiliate niche also has offers that pay between $100 and $200 per sale depending on the product category.

Yes, really.
    3. Financial
    Yes, we’re actually listing the finance niche as being profitable, because it inherently is.

We’ve also included it here because most new affiliate marketers steer clear of it because they assume it’s a saturated niche.

It is competitive, but it’s also far easier than trying to make money from adult content, for example.

You can see several examples of affiliates making serious money in this niche in our article on successful affiliate marketing websites.

They’re proof that you really only need a unique angle and to be prepared to work hard.

Long story short, people are taking on as much debt as they ever have, so there’s a huge market for the products and services we’ve identified for you.

So if you can make it work, it’s one of the best …
    4. Fitness
    This is another of those evergreen niches that you can be 99% sure will be around 50 years from now.

That’s because the fitness industry has been active for about 4,000 years, give or take.

Most ancient empires insisted that young men undergo physical training, usually for combat, but you also have to factor in the first ancient Olympic Games from around 2,700 years ago.

Anyways, the point we’re making here is that getting and staying fit has always been part of living a healthy life.

It’s also why the fitness industry as a whole is worth in the region of US$3.7 trillion per year.

The really good news is that you can make a lot of money with an online business by traveling the road less followed in this affiliate niche.

You’ll see what we mean when you check out the programs we found for you.
    5. Pet
    I’m a dog owner, so I know just how far other pet owners are willing to go to care for their furry friends.

(Well, my dog adopted me, but that’s a whole other story in learning what really matters in life.)

In my case, that’s totaled thousands of euros just for her health, including two surgeries.

And that kinda explains why the pet market in the United States is worth at least US$70 billion per year.

You can 2x that for an approximate figure of what the international market is worth.

This can be a competitive affiliate niche, but there’s still plenty of space for new affiliate publishers who are passionate about pets.

Posted: Jan 14, 2021 By: Nilesh56 Member since: Jan 10, 2021