What details do I need to provide on my Ecommerce store front?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by commadus, May 17, 2020.

1. commadus

commadus UKBF Newcomer Free Member

312 13
    So I am getting closer to set up and I have a supplier arranged. I am learning as I am doing so I am investing about £3-4k in this venture.

So on my store front do I need to put down my name and home address? I would rather not - what options are there for me to keep my personal details private? What do I legally need to provide?

Posted: May 17, 2020 By: commadus Member since: Dec 9, 2007
  2. Mr D

Mr D UKBF Legend Free Member

24,482 2,976
    You are legally required to put your business details on your website.

Some go as far as utilising a different address, a place that forwards mail on to you. Can be an accountants address in some instances, can be a virtual address run by someone else.
    So long as you are capable of receiving legal documents.

Not usually a problem putting personal details on website. People generally aren't going to turn up on your front step demanding their goods.

Posted: May 17, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  3. wayzgoose

wayzgoose UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

854 129
    What Mr D said. Don't start your life in ecommerce by trying to hide. Consumers aren't daft. Get your full contact details on there.

Posted: May 17, 2020 By: wayzgoose Member since: Oct 9, 2007
  4. Simon-TP

Simon-TP UKBF Contributor Full Member

99 21
    Full business contact details including telephone number and email address. You want your potential customers/actual customers to see that you are not trying to hide this information (i.e. by just having a contact form) giving them peace of mind.

Posted: May 18, 2020 By: Simon-TP Member since: May 5, 2020
  5. Scottishgifts4u

Scottishgifts4u UKBF Contributor Free Member

95 32
    It used to be said that a landline generated trust but I suspect that has gone by the board now.

As said above your business name and address is a legal requirement. Is there any particular reason why you don’t want your address to be known?

We had our landline prominent on the home page and phone number and address at the bottom of every page. Maybe overkill but every little helps to generate customer confidence.

And nobody turned up at our house unannounced either.

Posted: May 18, 2020 By: Scottishgifts4u Member since: Jul 6, 2017
  6. dotcomdude

dotcomdude UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

511 105
    I would never order anything online from a UK website that didn't provide a clear trading address.

In my case, our accountant agreed to let us use their office as our registered office and postal address. I wouldn't feel comfortable putting my home address on there. You never know where 'Mr 1%' will visit next...

Posted: May 18, 2020 By: dotcomdude Member since: Jul 27, 2018
  7. Solly

Solly UKBF Regular Free Member

106 13
    Yes it's a legal requirement but more importantly it is important for customer trust. Also you need a have a delivery & returns policy.

You can rent an address and mail forwarding address cheaply.

Posted: May 18, 2020 By: Solly Member since: Jan 13, 2020
  8. commadus

312 13
    Only Privacy. Nothing other than that. Or am I being too cautious?

Posted: May 18, 2020 By: commadus Member since: Dec 9, 2007
  9. commadus

312 13
    That's my only concern using my home address.

10. commadus

312 13
    Is that legal?

11. Mr D

24,482 2,976
    Yes its legal.

Posted: May 18, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  12. Darren_Ssc

Darren_Ssc UKBF Ace Free Member

1,278 397
    The previous tenant of my office was a bookkeeper. Turns out there are nearly one hundred businesses using my address. :)

Posted: May 18, 2020 By: Darren_Ssc Member since: Mar 1, 2019
  13. DontAsk

DontAsk UKBF Ace Free Member

1,531 228
    The address must be a full geographic address, i.e., not a PO box.

If you are forming a Limited Company then you should include the incorporation details.

If sole trader you should include your full name if you are using a trading name for the company, e.g. Joe Bloggs trading as XYZ

Posted: May 18, 2020 By: DontAsk Member since: Jan 7, 2015
  14. Michael Danilov

Michael Danilov UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 1
    A really professional website has to answer three main questions: who you are (including all your contact information), what you do (sell, produce, offer, etc.), and why the client must choose exactly you but not your competitor.
    If you are afraid to answer your client even who you are, what is the chance of him getting the answer for the 3d question? Approximately 0. Lost revenue as a result.
    I think that your 4k pounds can be wasted if you approach your business like that.
    But likely you wouldn't like to waste your money but increase it, would you?

Posted: May 20, 2020 By: Michael Danilov Member since: May 20, 2020
  15. Mr D

24,482 2,976
    Strange method of working. Get a lot of people wanting that on their websites?

Posted: May 20, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  16. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,372 9,874
    Nobody cares. Put it one the site along with your mobile number. That way when someone wants to know why they are pantless you can show you care.

Posted: May 20, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  17. Michael Danilov

6 1
    If you answer all the clients' questions in advance on the website, they wouldn't even think about "looking for this product or service" somewhere else.
    I have had so many cases when business owners literally killed their business because of that. For example, you want to buy a laptop. You go to a website A, where the price is 399£ but there are no specifications or they are not sufficient. You like the device and the price of it but you have to go to another website to find out how much RAM it has.
    You come to a website B with a great design (UI) and incredible usability - the website takes your hand and leads you to your laptop (UX). On the product page of the same laptop with the same price, you can see all specifications and furthermore, which computer mouse will suit this model the best, which type of memory the laptop uses (and there is an instant offer to purchase additional memory, which gives you ready upsell). The result?
    The client feels comfortable and important because YOU took care of him and provided with all necessary and additional but ecological information.
    Now her is a question for you: if websites A and B have the same prices for your laptop but website B has given everything all-sufficient information and just looks fancy and professionally and the website A looks like millions other websites and cannot even answer the primitive questions, which one would you choose?
    You are free to not answer - I know the question in advance) All beauty, all uniqueness is in detail.
    People wait for the details and don't even know it - this is for you to decide to know it or not.
    Who owns the information, owns the world.

Posted: May 20, 2020 By: Michael Danilov Member since: May 20, 2020
  18. Mr D

24,482 2,976
    I usually pick better websites.

Posted: May 20, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017
  19. Michael Danilov

6 1
    How do you know that a particular website is better? I bet that you have had no deal with something excepting Shopify, WP, etc. - this is a totally primitive level of online business. Yes, for some purposes they are sufficient but only for entry levels. For those, who want to grow and become better, such CMS are contraindicated!
    I advise you to reconsider your websites as unique ones and check if they fit all modern business and web design needs.
    If you want, I can express my opinion about your website from my expert point of view. I don't mind help business owners for free in this sphere)

Posted: May 21, 2020 By: Michael Danilov Member since: May 20, 2020
  20. Mr D

24,482 2,976
    When looking for certain items there are certain sellers who I do trust.
    Not surprisingly they tend to provide all relevant details of the item on the site - a lot of decent sellers manage to do that. Perhaps it affects sales.
    I sell on multiple sites including ebay and amazon - those two are hardly primitive based on their sales eh?

Posted: May 21, 2020 By: Mr D Member since: Feb 12, 2017