What changes should I make to my portal website before starting marketing?

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by Dynumo, Jan 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dynumo

Dynumo UKBF Regular Free Member

119 14
    Hello,

Everyone seemed to be full of advice the other day so I thought that I would ask everyone that as consumers and businessmen what changes does everyone think I should make to my portal website before starting marketing and brand building?

The website is at www.anhalo.com for review, and I already know about the email not fully working as I am developing my own new one, rather than the co-branded email solution I had with Microsoft.

Thanks in advance,

Adam .

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 By: Dynumo Member since: Jan 18, 2009
  2. PointandStare

PointandStare UKBF Newcomer Free Member

940 192
    errmm .. you've uploaded a free template and slapped in some g ads/ affiliate links.
    Hardly 'the future of the web' now is it.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2009
    Posted: Jan 20, 2009 By: PointandStare Member since: Apr 20, 2008
  3. Dynumo

119 14
    Actually most of those links aren't affiliate, they are sites produced by me, including the search engine...

It is also a heavily modified version of an opensource template, that you can not download anywhere because it has been modified. Also the ads aren't google...

Thanks for your opinion though... but even if I made my own template from scratch someone would probably accuse it of being a free template too... :rolleyes:

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 By: Dynumo Member since: Jan 18, 2009
  4. Esk247

Esk247 UKBF Legend Free Member

7,758 1,514
    what? how...what the....

is it me or are we getting some really basic questions.

anhalo...research a bit harder in to what people want from a website/portal etc. use the template as a guide only if you're totally stumped..but don't just put a template up and then get us to rate it...you're talking to some of the countries top web design companies..they don't use templates..EVER! they think they are the scum of the earth..so try and do something unique, bespoke, that is not template based. use the layout of a template if you want..but come up with something unique.

by using a template..its just that..a copy of someone elses work intended for those with no budget or who want to experiment a bit without paying a web designer.

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 By: Esk247 Member since: Oct 6, 2008
  5. PointandStare

PointandStare UKBF Newcomer Free Member

940 192
    What ^ said.

But ... there is nothing wrong with using a template as a starting point or for ideas gathering as long as you remember, it's just that a starting point to, hopefully, something unique.

Posted: Jan 20, 2009 By: PointandStare Member since: Apr 20, 2008
  6. Dynumo

119 14
    Yes, thats what it's intended as point and stare, a starting point :) .

I had had my own design, but I didn't know how to convert it to a template for the content management system I want to use for the site... and the guys that convert html templates charge more than designers (I plan to learn)!

Little is it known though that there are sections of that website that I have been developing since last february...

But what I'm looking for at the minute is less an evaluation of the template as the website itself and what it can do, eg, the search engine which shows thumbnails of websites with the results, etc... although ideas regarding how the design could look when I figure out how to convert html templates would be appreciated.

Thanks for your opinions, and please keep them coming!

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 By: Dynumo Member since: Jan 18, 2009
  7. Dragon Media Group

Dragon Media Group UKBF Newcomer Free Member

312 45
    The thumbnails in the search engine look good, but the search engine brings up the strangest results from searches.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 By: Dragon Media Group Member since: Oct 30, 2008
  8. Dynumo

119 14
    How do you mean by strange? was it appropriate to what you searched for?

9. Dragon Media Group

Dragon Media Group UKBF Newcomer Free Member

312 45
    I did a few searches and it just threw up random results, all US sites and not relevant.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 By: Dragon Media Group Member since: Oct 30, 2008
  10. Dynumo

119 14
    Can you give me an example of what your keywords were so I can have a look at what you saw?

11. DavidT

DavidT UKBF Newcomer Free Member

914 113
    Wiki just went to something else which needs to be setup.

When I look at the site I just don't understand what the point of it is. Who is it meant for? Why would I visit it?

Search Results... also wasn't a great listing - searched for 'Accountant Forums UK' and most of the results weren't really UK Accountant Forums.

Apart from that I just don't get what it's all about.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 By: DavidT Member since: Aug 16, 2007
  12. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,223 9,164
    As DavidT said, what is the point of the site. Each service you offer is already been done by far more comprehensive sites so what is your USP? Who are your prospective visitors? You can't expect to pull people away from Google, Wikipedia, MySpace, forums, gaming sites and so on unless you offer a better service.

All in one sites/portals have been tried many times and not one survives.

Posted: Jan 21, 2009 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.