What are your tips for a green office?

Discussion in 'Green Business' started by Simply Business, Jul 6, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PeterG

PeterG UKBF Newcomer Free Member

22 3
    What a great idea!

Posted: Oct 7, 2011 By: PeterG Member since: Sep 20, 2011
  2. td2011

td2011 UKBF Newcomer Free Member

271 33
    Yes there is alot up with that. And the island of plastic in the Pacific Ocean? So sad, where do you start?

Posted: Oct 12, 2011 By: td2011 Member since: Apr 6, 2011
  3. LicensedToTrade

LicensedToTrade UKBF Legend Free Member

6,330 2,143
    A couple of coats of this should do the trick...

[​IMG]

Posted: Oct 12, 2011 By: LicensedToTrade Member since: Nov 7, 2009
  4. 4success

4success UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 4
    Tips for a green office.
    1 Think about using less stuff & reward staff & customers that help you reduce use.
    2 Switch off computers when not in use eg during lunch, meetings & when going home. Standby can use as much energy as fully working.
    3 Only switch on printers when needed & have a set time for printing eg 1 hour before the post is collected.
    4 Use daylight as much as possible for illumination
    5 generate your own electricity via solar cells - and take advantage of the feed-in tariff before the Government axes it.
    6 Have a plan for encouraging workers to car share, walk, cycle or use public transport to get to work
    7 Have a living roof as it will provide better insulation (so lower heating cost) while also reducing the climate change resulting from urbanisation & increasing habitats for bio-diversity
    8 Have living plants around the office to absorb the electromagnetic radiation form computers etc and also produce Oxygen to aid logical thought.
    9 have personalised cups for drinks via the tap or kettle not the drink dispensers that encourage one use cups.
    10 Remember to reduce use before re-using and only then recycle the item.

Posted: Oct 13, 2011 By: 4success Member since: Aug 22, 2011
  5. KF_Researcher

KF_Researcher UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 0
    What made me giggle was that the paper my school (in Canterbury, UK) usedwas being flown in from Australia. Look at where your such items come from and buy locally if possible!

Posted: Oct 17, 2011 By: KF_Researcher Member since: Oct 17, 2011
  6. fansup

fansup UKBF Newcomer Free Member

109 4
    Copy and paste this to the bottom of your email signiture

Not only looks good environmentally, but also good common sense as well.

P Please consider the environment before printing this email.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
    Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: fansup Member since: Aug 7, 2008
  7. projectfriday

projectfriday UKBF Newcomer Free Member

91 13
    I make DIY notepads from printouts (wrong way round, upside down, wrong file, etc), score by 4 for an A6 notepad using the reverse side and bind them together. I've got loads of them around the office, though I use wirebound notepads for meetings (still, recycled pads).

Posted: Oct 19, 2011 By: projectfriday Member since: Oct 16, 2011
  8. KF_Researcher

KF_Researcher UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 0
    Good shout!

Posted: Oct 20, 2011 By: KF_Researcher Member since: Oct 17, 2011
  9. bad rabbit

bad rabbit UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 0
    fax to email, saves a fortune on paper and ink from all those annoying junk mails.
    Should you be interested please pm me and I will show you the way

Posted: Oct 20, 2011 By: bad rabbit Member since: Oct 17, 2011
  10. bluelight

bluelight UKBF Regular Free Member

204 22
    You could of course make sure that your roof is adequately insulated and the walls are injected with insulation too.

We have done this for business and domestic premises for the last 2 years now and it works really well.

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 By: bluelight Member since: Nov 24, 2008
  11. James Copperwaite

James Copperwaite UKBF Newcomer Free Member

41 2
    Interesting post. Here are a few tip that will definitely help.

• Having a paperless office.
    • Using renewable energy.
    • Encouraging employees to share journeys to work or opt to use public transport as an alternative.
    • Opening the windows instead of relying on air conditioning in the office.
    • Recycling paper and reducing the levels of packaging.
    • Using biodegrade plastics cups for the water machine.
    • Turing your PC off at night.
    • Recycling those ink cartridges.
    As a business you may want to do more. Or, been seen doing more. Introducing environmentally friendly measures is simple and avoids the negative attention that may arise through not attending to your environmental responsibilities. However, the business will want to avoid being labelled greenwashing, which is effectively a PR spin to promote the business policies as environmentally friendly, when effectively doing very little.

I hope this helps.

Posted: Nov 3, 2011 By: James Copperwaite Member since: Jun 10, 2011
  12. Carl Chambers

Carl Chambers UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 0
    let me know if you would like some free education on this ?
    can demonstrate on line if required

Posted: Nov 4, 2011 By: Carl Chambers Member since: Nov 4, 2011
  13. SBToolkit

SBToolkit UKBF Newcomer Free Member

31 9
    1. Replace all halogen 50W bulbs with 35W alternatives and de-lamp areas that are over-lit.

2. Powerflush your heating system at least one a year to remove sludge and limescale in your radiators and thereby improve efficiency. Related to this I have also seen great results from vacuum cleaning ceiling-mounted AC units to clean the filters. I recommend doing this once every three months.

3. If you operate a building management system then I would encourage you to conduct weekly tests to see which settings are optimal in terms of energy usage. You can track variations in your system setup by logging meter consumption on a week-by-week basis. Small tweaks here and there can save loads of energy.

4. Upgrade old plant equipment such as motors with variable speed drives and old boilers with modern condensing alternative. If you have a three-phase supply you may want to consider voltage optimisation - its expensive but can pay back quickly.

5. Finally, engage people in the organisation to help in your energy reduction commitment. Getting people to shut-down / turn-off small appliances and electronics when not is use can save a significant amount over the year. Alternatively you may want to consider automatic shut-down software to turn off computers and printers in the evening.

I hope this provides some food for thought.

Posted: Nov 4, 2011 By: SBToolkit Member since: Oct 31, 2011
  14. tom cady

tom cady UKBF Newcomer Free Member

8 1
    hi everyone,
    Lighting- lighting accounts for as much as 30 per cent of the average office’s energy use. Try using low energy alternatives, like LEDs. Recycle-Recycling is a simple and effective way to reduce your environmental impact
    Abandon paper-Many businesses use far more paper than is necessary. Consider ways that you can share documents digitally.
    Look at equipment-When you are upgrading or replacing equipment, make sure that you consider energy efficiency before making a decision.
    Reduce drips-Water usage is often overlooked by businesses looking to reduce their environmental impact Encourage new habits-Changing behavior amongst employees can be one of the most effective ways of reducing energy efficiency

Posted: Nov 4, 2011 By: tom cady Member since: Oct 31, 2011
  15. loudBANG design

loudBANG design UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 3
    we have just had our electricity changed to an eco- power company and as a design and letterpress printing company we intend on using 100% cotton paper and water soluble polymer plates for our hand printing. The inks are however rubber based and although their are soya based inks available we hear the process of making these inks is not so eco-friendly. Our printing presses are both manual presses and do not use any energy source other than my own pulling and pushing power. We have also installed energy efficient bulbs and leds where possible.

One of the main wastage we have is everyday paper from our epson printer(recycled stock) as we have to always try prints on the inkjet to see how it comes out before making letterpress prints (inkjet printer uses continuous ink system so no wasting plastic cartridges every two weeks) we would love to recycle our own paper but it is just impractical. And using cotton paper for normal inkjet testing is also not practical with regards to costs as cotton paper for printing works out at about 30 cent a sheet of A4. I guess we can just do as much as we can to better our ecologic footprint making sure in the process we don't put ourselves out of business.

Our coffee beans are fair trade from Ecuador (a lot of bad emmissions flying those over) and our tea bags are the supermarket's best organic.

Posted: Nov 11, 2011 By: loudBANG design Member since: Jul 5, 2011
  16. xiaoneitie

xiaoneitie UKBF Newcomer Free Member

5 0
    Great tips.
    LED lighting is a good power saver.
    In terms of the Whiteboard, I think if you can buy eco friendly markers, the whiteboard is a great way of saving paper.
    An an extra tip I was thinking of standby killers on all pc workstations in a office.

Posted: Jun 8, 2012 By: xiaoneitie Member since: May 23, 2012
  17. dave_evans

dave_evans UKBF Newcomer Free Member

42 4
    1) Scan incoming post and distribute it electronically for these reasons:
    Shockingly, it's quite normal for an inbound invoice to be photocopied just so it can be passed around one department!
    If you convert the scanned image to a searchable PDF (this is something we can do for you on-line) then the recipient can copy the text & paste it into Word or what have you. The alternative is that someone photocopies the original..again...
    Once a document is scanned - and especially if it's searchable - you'll find you won't need to store as much of the paper as before and your consumption of storage boxes, filing cabinets and so on can reduce.

2) Have computers set-up so they turn off screens and reduce speed when they're not used for a certain number of minutes; turning off entirely after, say, 30 minutes of inactivity.

3) A fair number of things use electricity even when they're turned off: laptops, low-voltage desk lamps, mains-powered phone or entertainment device chargers and cordless phones.
    For the home office, these will all be on or near the desk: move the 4-way mains extension block that you'll have this lot plugged into and put it on the desk behind the laptop - now you can easily unplug what you're not using.

4) Small office / shared workspaces: get everyone to agree it's a huge waste of energy to refill the kettle to the top and turn it on 'for the next person'. I've seen this practice in almost every serviced office I've ever been in or visited and I've never understood it!

5) Go to the loo two at a time so you can flush half as often..no, no..I'm joking!

Posted: Jul 1, 2012 By: dave_evans Member since: Oct 27, 2011
  18. 4success

4success UKBF Newcomer Free Member

17 4
    Deciding why all your staff need to be in the office at the same time as everyone else when they would be less stressed & more productive when work flexible hours or worked from home (paid on results not time ). Then think how you can provide green transport eg a bus or bikes from the station.
    Waste at work can be reduced by switching off computers & printers at night and ensuring the cleaners switch off the lights once they finish their monthly clean.

Switching off computers & printers (instead of going into standby mode) reduces electricity consumption and thus costs.
    Only switching on printers for set periods eg 2pm to 3pm will save on electricity and encourage people to think before they print so reduce the costs of paper & printer ink as most printing is unnecessary now that documents can be shared securely on line for collaborative projects. Once the printed paper has been finished with it should be reused and then recycled away from the drink cans as mixing recyclable items reduces the value of recycling so is another example of poor practice that the government sector do.
    Switching off the lights, using natural light where ever possible, opening the blinds & windows to control temperature will improve worker health and reduce the exposure to harmful electro-magnetic radiation
    Asking the workers for suggestions on how to reduce waste and implementing at least one of them each month after a vote by the workers will benefit the organisation in two major ways

1. Reduce the waste the organisation produces so will lower the environmental impact of the organisation & lower costs – especially if the organisation is socially responsible enough to use true costing.
    2. Boost worker moral so less cost of staff replacement or sickness and workers are more willing to change habits to benefit the organisation as it adapts to the changing world.

Posted: Jul 3, 2012 By: 4success Member since: Aug 22, 2011
  19. elena gilbert

elena gilbert UKBF Newcomer Free Member

2 1
    Hello,
    My tips for a green office would be:

1. Cut down or eliminate your use of products that there are no green alternatives for, such as rubber bands.
    2. Save paper by not printing whenever possible. Put a prominent sign up in the office to remind users to print only when necessary.
    3. Use your printer's eco-mode if it has one.
    4. Buy and use recycled paper.
    5. Replace Cathode Ray Tube (CRT) monitors with flat screen monitors. Flat screen displays consume only about one-third the energy of a CRT monitor.
    6. Use light wall colors; light paint colours and higher gloss sheens reflect daylight, meaning your space will need less overhead lighting. BC Hydro has an excellent guide for making the most of natural light to light your office space.

Thank You.

Posted: Jul 9, 2012 By: elena gilbert Member since: Jul 9, 2012
  20. TheBAB

TheBAB UKBF Newcomer Free Member

45 10
    Some excellent tips here!

Any ideas for improving staff engagement?

Posted: Jul 11, 2012 By: TheBAB Member since: Oct 15, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.