What are you looking for when you visit the "About us" page on a website?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't know exactly what you're looking for if you visit the "about us" page for an IT/Software Development Consultancy Company.

If your looking for IT/Software Development services and you find a company that may do the job, do you visit their "about us" page? What are you looking for, there?

Yeahh, I agree with you...

I need to make my "about us" page for my recently created ltd company, but I'm just starting and starting as contractor.... not much that I have to say.... so I asked... I guess that legally here in the UK i need to have the company number and where is registered and what we do?

I'm sick of seeing "about us" pages that tell big stories, but don't believe they do anything about getting new deals.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
Sep 12, 2006
Aldershot
www.aerin.co.uk
A picture and a bit of background and maybe a few details of qualifications and memberships.

But if the site is well constructed there should be no reason to ever visit an 'about me/us' page.

Reactions: JoaoPereira
Upvote 0
If your looking for IT/Software Development services and you find a company that may do the job, do you visit their "about us" page? What are you looking for, there?

As mentioned above, these pages tend to be a load of generic nonsense or (annoyingly) a one-man band referring to himself as we/us/our team, etc.

To answer your question though, I think a few pictures and a bit about your background may suffice? An address and contact number, email and so on.

Upvote 0
As mentioned above, these pages tend to be a load of generic nonsense or (annoyingly) a one-man band referring to himself as we/us/our team, etc.

To answer your question though, I think a few pictures and a bit about your background may suffice? An address and contact number, email and so on.

Yeah, maybe a link to my linked in profile?

Upvote 0

UKSBD

• Business Listing
    A brief background, how long you have been doing what you do, when Company was formed, your company name, your company number, your Vat number, your Data Protection number, your name, your trading and registered address, your phone number, your email address, how much insurance you have, a photo of you, a photo of office, a Google map (with Streetview).

If you work from home, don't be afraid to let me know
    If it's your 1st year in business don't try to give the impression you have been in business for years.

Honesty on an about page will stop you losing my business as I will research you anyway.

Reactions: deniser
    Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    Yeah, maybe a link to my linked in profile?
    Why do you want to do this? Everything I need to know about you should be on the site. Taking me off site to look at your connections means you no longer have any control over what I do next.

Upvote 0

SuffolkLad

Free Member
    Oct 7, 2017
    Ultimately - you have to ask the question "What is the purpose of your web site?" People often misunderstand the purpose of a web site.

What actually are you trying to convey with your web site? If you are selling your services, then you need to include the relevant information about those services and your experience in providing those services. In respect of the About Page - consider this... You could be a recently qualified accountant with all the certificates and accreditation's from institutions, or you could be the person who worked in the finance department for a large corporation - either scenario has its pluses and minuses. A potential customer knows what they're looking for.

The recently qualified person is more likely to be up to date with regs and best practices where as the experienced person will have a very streamlined faster way of working that is proven but not necessarily 'current best practice'. One may charge by the hour, one may charge for the job.

Which would you choose and why?

Truth is, you can only answer as you would choose if you were the customer, and that is how you must think about your web site and the content you put on it - including an About page. Is an About page even appropriate on such a web site?

Upvote 0
    So I'm a software contractor and the site is for my limited company. I don't need much in the about page, i guess.

I mainly work either from home or from the client's premises.
    Right now I get business through agencies, but in the future I would like to change that.

I will use the site to mainly to publish technical articles and make my contacts available.
    I think I will also have my CV over there to download...

Upvote 0

SuffolkLad

Free Member
    Oct 7, 2017
    The 'About' page is redundant because what you provide would come under the section on the 'Services you Provide'.

TBH, it seems more like what you will have is a 'Technical Blog' or a 'Knowledge Base' available on a pay per view basis. That being the case, 'About' is the least of the pages you would need.

That's my take on your personal situation.

Upvote 0
    The 'About' page is redundant because what you provide would come under the section on the 'Services you Provide'.

TBH, it seems more like what you will have is a 'Technical Blog' or a 'Knowledge Base' available on a pay per view basis. That being the case, 'About' is the least of the pages you would need.

That's my take on your personal situation.

Thanks. It's free to access to whatever I write in the blog, though... Think as the Netflix Engineering Blog, or google engineering blog... free knowledge for everyone. The point of the blog is to help future clients to make a decision about hiring me...

Upvote 0

Alan

Free Member
    Aug 16, 2011
    I run two sites - one my technical blog / notebook - this is because it can be far less formal than your 'professional' site. You simple use an author profile to explain who you are - e.g.see http://badlywired.com/2017/09/recipe-for-a-raspberry-pi-kiosk/

My formal site isn't relevant to your sector ( its on my sig if you are nosey :) ) but obviously as it is 'selling' it can't / shouldn't be as informal.

I would suggest you just run your technical blog for fun for time being...

Why ....

I mainly work either from home or from the client's premises.
    Right now I get business through agencies, but in the future I would like to change that.

This is unlikely to ever happen, people who buy from agencies don't buy from direct websites. You will never have the marketing reach into corporates that agencies do so you website is never likely to bring in the sort of lucrative contracts that you probably are getting. And if you did have the same marketing reach / capabilities / sales skills - then it would actually be more lucrative for you to set up as an agency ( I have known several contractors that have done this successfully ).

Reactions: Keith Schneider
    Upvote 0

kev598

Free Member
    Sep 22, 2017
    I expect to see some overview or history of the company, some achievments, general information about team members or key team members contact information, including social networks and additional platforms related to that type of the business and google map with street overview. But it is in case if you already have established your business. If you are at the beginning I agree that blog would be the perfect option.

Upvote 0

fisicx

Business Listing
    Sep 12, 2006
    Aldershot
    www.aerin.co.uk
    Why on earth would you want to use a blog for this?

If the site is properly constructed an about us page shouldn’t really be needed. All your other suggestions could be integrated with the rest of the content.

Upvote 0

webgeek

Free Member
    May 19, 2009
    Glasgow, Scotland, UK
    Until you have deals under your belt, where you can talk about accomplishments, focus on capabilities.

This would be a good place to focus on how your skills, knowledge and experience can shape solutions that will save them time, attract new customers, build profitability.

Upvote 0
    Status
    Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
    ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu