What are the Pros and Cons of an eBay Shop?

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by The Cue Store, Jun 19, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sparky011

sparky011 UKBF Contributor Free Member

98 1
    i dont use anything as an excuse

if your no happy then go bother someone else on another thread your comments are not welcome on this page.

i dont have to explain my self to you

see ya

Posted: Jun 29, 2012 By: sparky011 Member since: Oct 21, 2010
  2. internetspaceships

internetspaceships Banned Full Member

6,981 2,328
    I shall run away with my tail between my legs in shame.

Posted: Jun 29, 2012 By: internetspaceships Member since: Sep 7, 2009
  3. sparky011

sparky011 UKBF Contributor Free Member

98 1
    please do

and leave the comments to the people who actualy want to give there advice

Posted: Jun 29, 2012 By: sparky011 Member since: Oct 21, 2010
  4. poundseller

poundseller UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 4
    I am far from perfect when it comes to spelling but give the guy a break!

Maybe I am wrong but forums are for advice and opinions, not trolling a guy because he made a typo!

Give the guy a break

Matt
    PoundSeller Ltd

Posted: Jun 30, 2012 By: poundseller Member since: Jun 21, 2012
  5. The Cue Store

The Cue Store UKBF Newcomer Free Member

225 10
    Have say I agree with Matt, give the guy a break.

He comes on here looking for advice and opinions on ideas like the rest of us do, and not to have comments passed about his spelling.

Lots of famous and successful people have dyslexial, if you read the papers or on the internet. Henry Winkler aka Arthur Herbert "The Fonz" Fonzarelli has it and so does some bloke called Theo Paphitis has it as well, and I think the latter is quiet a successful business from what I've heard and read. I don't see people having a go about their spelling!

Posted: Jun 30, 2012 By: The Cue Store Member since: Dec 22, 2011
  6. internetspaceships

6,981 2,328
    Ok, I was suggesting that he doesn't mis spell his auctions. There's nothing troll about that whatsoever.

How about if for a change you take a look from another angle? Did you read the bit I said about Dyslexia, because as I said I have people with it working for me and I know how they deal with it.

I was actually trying to make a helpful point that had merit. Some people are just too bloody sensitive.

Posted: Jun 30, 2012 By: internetspaceships Member since: Sep 7, 2009
  7. The Cue Store

225 10
    Yes I did read the bit about your employing staff with Dyslexia, but everybody is different, I've got a friend who has it so know first hand what it's like, everybody deals with it differently though.

I agree auctions shouldn't be mis-spelt but he knows he needs to have someone help him with writing them.

For all we know he could be expanding his company for a team of electricians by adding a retail side to it, but with none of his team has the knowledge of eBay as a business seller.

I think we should close the matter of his Dyslexia and help him with advice with eBay Shops and an online presence as a whole, but that's only my opinion.

8. internetspaceships

6,981 2,328
    Which is what I said.

Yes let's close with the dyslexia because it wasn't the issue.

9. The Cue Store

225 10
    So which route would you go internetspaceships - Basic or Featured shop?

At the end of the Final Value Fees and PayPal Fees are the killers when it comes to eBay nowdays?

Maybe eBay could do some special deals for Small Businesses or Sole Traders, but they would need to prove that they are Small Business or Sole Traders like lower Final Value Fees so it wouldn't be so crippling.

10. internetspaceships

6,981 2,328
    We've got two shops.

One featured and one basic. I was chatting to one of my people this morning about this and I didn't realise the restrictions that were now in place for opening these shops.

Is it true that on a business you can now list no more than £10,000 worth of items within your basic shop in your first year and cant upgrade to a featured shop until you're over 12 months old?

11. poundseller

18 4
    anyway, moving on

Whichever route you go you will always pay commission on Ebay. Why ?

I think people are so used to paying commission they get used to it but it does not have to be that way.

Several companies have listed with us and sold items, no commission or sale fees so the feedback we have received is very good.

No harm in listing an item and giving it a go

Kind regards
    Matt
    PoundSeller Ltd

Posted: Jun 30, 2012 By: poundseller Member since: Jun 21, 2012
  12. The Cue Store

225 10
    Basically eBay have you over a barrel if you want to open an eBay shop.

If you opened a Basic Shop and started selling items like they were going out of fashion you have cough up £0.10 per listing for a year before upgrading to a Featured Shop and getting the listings for £0.05 per listing.

So eBay are getting more money out of you every month.

13. exceedmedia

exceedmedia UKBF Contributor Free Member

58 24
    Poundseller,

Just a quick question. How are you finding your business model charging a £1 flat listing fee?

Judging from the amount of items listed on your site, do you not think it would be better to charge, say 5p for a listing (or possible a monthly fee like amazon) and then a fixed amount if the item sells?

That way, you would get a lot more products on the site in a quicker time?

Posted: Jun 30, 2012 By: exceedmedia Member since: Apr 22, 2010
  14. poundseller

18 4
    Hi exceedmedia

We consider the model to be fine, £1 to list an item given the options we provide as part of that means we are still very competetive, we are cheaper than other well known sites, especially considering no commission/sale fees.

We have only been trading for 3 months and the growth and feedback has been positive, these things take time obviously.

We believe that if any item is over say £10 we are considerably cheaper than other sites, for example a £50 item or even a car for £25,000 it still only costs you £1.

Our site will require volume to make money as our approach is different but hopefully will prove very popular.

Please moderator do not delete as we are answering a specific question from another member!

Kind regards
    Matt
    PoundSeller

Posted: Jul 1, 2012 By: poundseller Member since: Jun 21, 2012
  15. internetspaceships

6,981 2,328
    Right, and the exposure you get from your own e-commerce shop vs the exposure you get on eBay is?

Posted: Jul 3, 2012 By: internetspaceships Member since: Sep 7, 2009
  16. The Cue Store

225 10
    We've got our own e-commerce site.

What if you use an Open Source e-commerce software package?

They don't offer Google Vouchers.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012
    Posted: Jul 3, 2012 By: The Cue Store Member since: Dec 22, 2011
  17. CustomJewelry

CustomJewelry UKBF Newcomer Free Member

6 0
    Both companies definitely rip you off and they can because they have a huge stronghold on the market place. Bummer, that is why goo marketing efforts to work around this aspect are the ultimate goal. :)

Posted: Jul 3, 2012 By: CustomJewelry Member since: Jul 3, 2012
  18. PatriciaApple-Bay

PatriciaApple-Bay UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 2
    Hi Camorra,
    But I think that if you sell any Technology item, for instance a £1,500 Computer in our case Ebay takes 10% that's when Ebay gets really expensive, and on top of that you must consider Paypal fees as well (having a Shop on Ebay you pay about 2.8% for that same transaction).

List a technology-related item using the Buy it now format

• Buy it now price: £30
    • Final selling price: £30
    • Total eBay selling fees are £3.40 comprising:
      • Insertion fee: £0.40
      • Final value fee: 10% of the final selling price, which in this case is £3.00
    **** This info is from Ebay's website.

Posted: Jul 3, 2012 By: PatriciaApple-Bay Member since: Nov 11, 2011
  19. The Cue Store

225 10
    laurencerice, you say about getting to the top of Google what's the return in regards of sales.

The exposure you get from eBay is way above what you would get from an e-commerce site, but in my case I currently don't sale in the volumes to get the lower PayPal Fees so I'm getting stung for the 10% eBay fees and then the 3.4% + 20p.

I know your monthly sales between eBay and our own store can be combined and reduce the PayPal Fees, but that doesn't help me either as I'm not currently generating enough sales through my own e-commerce store.

If I could generate enough sales through my store to reduce the PayPal Fees then eBay would be any options, as I can't afford a Feature Store at the moment. If I'm completely honest at the moment I would probably struggle to justify having a Basic Store due to eBay and PayPal.

It's a Catch 22 situtation as far as I can see it.

Posted: Jul 4, 2012 By: The Cue Store Member since: Dec 22, 2011
  20. PatriciaApple-Bay

PatriciaApple-Bay UKBF Newcomer Free Member

24 2
    I agree with you 100%, it's a "buyer's market" !

Posted: Jul 4, 2012 By: PatriciaApple-Bay Member since: Nov 11, 2011
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.