General Business Forum Brought to you by Salesforce

Website - your thoughts :)

Discussion in 'General Business Forum' started by The_JinJ, Jul 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. The_JinJ

The_JinJ UKBF Newcomer Free Member

157 0
    Hi

Just working on upgrading my website Everything Ink - working on streamlining the basket etc. I need feedback on the ordering process etc if possible.

We sell printing consumables including inkjet cartridges, refills, paper etc.

Any thoughts, feedback etc appreciated :)

Have a look at my signature for a special UKBF discount if the prices take your fancy.

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 By: The_JinJ Member since: Mar 16, 2004
  2. Richard Conyard

Richard Conyard UKBF Newcomer Free Member

617 1
    Visually it's a bit plain, but I am gussing it does the job.

The underlying code is a mess and could do with being fixed. Use of headings should improve search engine position. Strip the CSS from the HTML and place in an external file. Get rid of the table layout and use div positioning.

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 By: Richard Conyard Member since: Jul 2, 2005
  3. The_JinJ

157 0
    Thanks for the comments Richard.

The visuals will be worked on once I am happy with the backend etc.
    The CSS is included (all HTML is built with PHP)
    The tables - I'll work on changing them to DIV positions

Good constructive comments - cheers :)

4. epiphany

epiphany UKBF Newcomer Free Member

754 0
    plain was my first thoughts which isn't necessarily a bad thing with a shopping cart as there can be a lot going on once you get browsing.

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 By: epiphany Member since: May 15, 2005
  5. The_JinJ

157 0
    The visuals will be spruced up a bit but I do want to keep it simple :)

6. Twokids

Twokids UKBF Newcomer Free Member

100 0
    I don't mind plain - in fact I find it a refreshing change from 'all singing all dancing' multi graphics that festoon a lot of sites.

After all I want to do a simple transaction - buy a cartridge - when I go to Rymans do I want disco lights, dancing girls and a 14 foot tv screen blasting out at me?

Not bad at all I might even make a purchase next time.

One more point - I now you give a business address on the 'contact us' page but when I read the 'About us' page it wasn't there. My immeadiate thought was 'Why don't they list their address' my second thought was ' what if I order £600 worth of toner cartridges and it doesn't turn up? - all I have is a phone number'

I would put the address on the about us page as well - I missed it the first time an a prospect might not bother to dig around for it and go elsewhere.

EricN

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 By: Twokids Member since: Jul 29, 2005
  7. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    Personally, I like the simple, uncluttered layout.

I realize I'm going to get a terrible reputation at this forum for being picky all the time, but...

I spotted six grammatical errors on your home page. You might want to take a few minutes to correct them. For sure, not everyone visiting your site is a grammar stickler, but it's worth fixing the problem. First impressions are often the most important.

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  8. SuffolkDesigns

SuffolkDesigns UKBF Old Timer Full Member - Verified Business

2,763 360
    And whats wrong with that ? I think more stores should have dancing girls ;)

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 By: SuffolkDesigns Member since: Jul 5, 2005
  9. The_JinJ

157 0
    Can you point them out so I can make sure I get all of them...I'm on it now....and thanks for the comments :)

10. Cornish Steve

Cornish Steve UKBF Newcomer Full Member

14,858 2,117
    Here are the changes I would suggest:

1) Currently: Your one stop shop for all your printing consumables...

1) Suggested: Your one-stop shop for printing consumables!

2) Currently: 30 day no quibble money back guarantee

2) Suggested: A 30-day, no-quibble, money-back guarantee

3) Currently: The price you see is the price you pay, no hidden extras

3) Suggested: Transparent pricing with no hidden extras

4) Currently: Unlike some retailers, Everything Ink does not supply inferior, no name products. We provide only well established and respected companies products to ensure maximum satisfaction for our customers.

4) Suggested: To ensure customer satisfaction, Everything Ink provides superior products from brand-name companies. Unlike some retailers, we do not sell inferior products from questionable suppliers.

(This one is interesting. In American English, a company takes the singular form of a verb; in British English, a company takes the plural form. You used the American English form, and so did I. To be strict, however, ‘provides’ should be ‘provide’; I don’t know about you, but to me that just doesn’t sound right.)

5) Currently: There are many more great deals available - check out our SPECIAL BUYS!!

5) Suggested: We offer many more great deals. Check out our SPECIAL BUYS!!

6) Currently: Click HERE and let us know - we will get it for you at the best possible price!

6) Suggested: Click HERE to let us know. We will find it for you at the best possible price!

I always feel a little self-conscious about posting corrections publicly, and maybe I should be posting more private messages. By posting a message to the forum, however, others can see how the application of good writing principles can sharpen a message. I hope my comments come across as constructive; I certainly don't mean to sound negative.

Have a great weekend!

Posted: Jul 29, 2005 By: Cornish Steve Member since: Jul 4, 2005
  11. The_JinJ

157 0
    Good point!!!
    I'll make that change now :)

Cheers

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.