Website underperforming

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by Redd, Mar 9, 2019.

1. Redd

Redd UKBF Regular Full Member

196 11
    Thanks RedEvo, I’ll try this today, we are averaging about 5-10 calls a week which I think is pretty poor for a seven year old website in a capital city. Thanks for taking the time to check.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013
  2. Redd

196 11
    Thanks Graham, another major problem I’m having is trying to put new stuff out there. I’m guessing I’m gonna have to change theme for this?

For example I wanted to put a new offer out there for a free “marcher power washer” for all orders in January but there’s nowhere to put it in this theme other than create a new post? Any ideas

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013
  3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

31,071 9,129
    You are correct. You need a new theme or to change the current theme. When we installed this theme we already knew the limitations and I had to add a load of features to get where we are.

Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. MBE2017

MBE2017 UKBF Ace Free Member

1,093 290
    I am not a website expert but have a lifetime of experience in sales.

You want your website to produce inquiries, so put yourself into a potential clients mind and ask the five main things they are looking for, and their five biggest concerns in contacting someone to quote.

You might think it is wrong, but Fisicx advice re testimonials and stories / case studies will work IMO. Forget the imitation blurb, the photos etc and concentrate and what people wish to know.

That means about you, your experience, how long you have been trading, companies who have used you etc. Why use you instead of others? I would recommend before and after photos to showcase your work.

The more testimonials the better.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 12, 2019
    Posted: Mar 12, 2019 By: MBE2017 Member since: Feb 16, 2017
  5. Redd

196 11
    There are already before and after pics on the site?

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013
  6. TheWebDesignCompany

TheWebDesignCompany UKBF Regular Full Member

106 6
    Being very careful not to come across as at all critical here. That is the last thing I want to do.

A few observations:
    The theme that has been used "hitchcock" https://en-gb.wordpress.org/themes/hitchcock/ is slanted toward photography and gallery portfolios.

You have listed your priorities as:
    1. get calls/enquiries
    2. showcase our work
    3. Build our brand/company awareness

1) You don't seem to have your phone number on the website except on the contact page?
    It should be there at the top of your homepage so people who don't want to go hunting for it are not put off.

Same goes for a small enquiry form, you should have one near the top of the homepage for people
    If you make it say for them to contact you, you will get more enquiries. You can easy rectify both these things.

2) The website does a fairly good job of this.

3) I didn't know what your brand was without looking at the website address to check. You don't display the logo at the top of the website for some reason like most companies do.

I didn't find your logo until I spotted it on the about us page. Then when I returned to the homepage I realised it was on the side of your pickup in one of the photos.
    So for brand awareness, there is some work to do. The logo doesn't have to be huge, but it should be at the top of the page on every page of your website consistently.

Other have already pointed out that the sales copy needs addressing.
    Hope those few little pointers help.

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: TheWebDesignCompany Member since: Mar 11, 2019
  7. TheWebDesignCompany

106 6

Good advice here...

Posted: Mar 13, 2019 By: TheWebDesignCompany Member since: Mar 11, 2019
  8. Redd

196 11
    thanks for this. I did just recently remove the logo after advice on here but do think I should add it back in.

I struggle to find a plug in to allow me to put much for contact options on the home page especially? Can anyone recommend one? Especially one for the home page which is why I had to add the blue bar at bottom. Could really do with more options for interaction too but struggling to figure out how to....

What is sales copy?

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013
  9. TheWebDesignCompany

106 6

Sales Copy is basically what you write on your website.
    You are using your website to try to sell your services to those who visit your website.
    So basically the wording on your website.

The logo doesn't need to be huge or dominate the top half of the screen, it just needs to be there, and be visible and recognisable so that people know which brand/company's website it is.

Without seeing the admin area it is difficult to advise on a specific plugin to do the job.
    Does the admin system allow you to put in a text block above the portfolio area on the homepage?

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 By: TheWebDesignCompany Member since: Mar 11, 2019
  10. fisicx

31,071 9,129
    You either need to change the theme or you need someone to add a widget to the theme.

I'd go for the former. When we originally built the site it was all about showcasing your work. Times move on and it now needs to be a lead generator which means this theme isn't really fit for purpose anymore.

You can still get cracking with telling stories but theme may well need to go.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  11. Redd

196 11
    ok I'm gonna change the theme. wish me luck ;-/

Fisicx tried to download tradesman theme, didn't work

Last edited: Mar 14, 2019
    Posted: Mar 14, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013
  12. AllUpHere

AllUpHere UKBF Ace Free Member

3,072 1,114
    Good luck.

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 By: AllUpHere Member since: Jun 30, 2014
  13. fisicx

31,071 9,129
    Done it for you

Posted: Mar 14, 2019 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  14. Root 66 Woodshop

Root 66 Woodshop UKBF Big Shot Free Member

4,921 1,320
    I maybe wrong, as I'm not a website designer, but I think the home page is cluttered...

Sorry, I just think the three blocks of "product" you have is...

Driveways - Pavings & Patios - Landscaping

as a customer, I would want to see three clickable images (buttons) to choose from, so I can just click on what I'm searching your site for, then the populated pages would be the following pages, then and only then would I be interested in clicking on something... I'd be more interested in reading on the home page about you, the company, the vision you have and why I should use you as a company... if that makes any sense?

I have to scroll through... 21 clickable boxes on the home page to get to the bottom of the site to see that you are an Edinburgh Trusted Trader and a Marshalls Registered approved Landscape contractor... Marshalls are Massive! They're a brilliant badge for you... I should be seeing this first.

(We deal with Marshall's too by the way two of their quarry's are very local to us and we provide them with security products ;) )

your accreditation's, city and guilds, your Marshall's registered tags/links should be on this page too...

Posted: Apr 3, 2019 By: Root 66 Woodshop Member since: Nov 22, 2011
  15. Redd

196 11

Thanks @fisicx what do you think about this? Would also enable me to put more services in?

Posted: Apr 22, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013
  16. Redd

196 11
    Wondered what everyone thought of the new theme and layout?

Phone still not ringing as much as I would like but there is a slight improvement and expecting it will soon especially once we optimise Seo some more and alter images

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
    Posted: Apr 22, 2019 By: Redd Member since: May 4, 2013