website review please (site for actors)

Discussion in 'Website Reviews & Testing' started by ablative, Oct 13, 2020.

1. ablative

ablative UKBF Regular Full Member

107 3
    The profiles, the contact system, the application system. It's a bit more complex actually.

Good points. We've made some rushed changes to the mobile site to address the biggest problems but it'll need a good look at. Thanks.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 By: ablative Member since: Feb 17, 2010
  2. ablative

107 3
    Again, perhaps it's the wording. You don't need to pay to view bios or anything for that matter. Just register.

Payment is for a completely different service altogether.

Oh of course we'd all you all to love it... but the suggestions on how to improve it are even more valuable! :)

3. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

33,479 9,924
    The problem is the theme. Enfold is very dated and poorly responsive. You are also using ACF which is bloated and slow along with a bunch of other plugins that clog things up. It's why Google scores your site performance at 10/100.

A decent jobboard plugin or better still a bespoke theme would make your life so much simpler and the site faster and easier to use.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  4. ablative

107 3
    The theme is scaffold (not sure if that's a derivative of enfold) which is pretty lightweight and ACF was necessary for the membership system. We've migrated fields from usermeta/postmeta to their own table for some of the systems but not all yet. TBH the job board plugins just didn't do what we wanted which is why we opted for ACF and building our own. Plus more control, of course.

5. fisicx

33,479 9,924
    This is where I disagree. A bespoke membership system is a simple thing to build. It would be faster, lighter and much more user friendly. Relying on ACF and the many other plugins you have installed is what slows everything down.

Yes you are correct, it is the scaffold theme - it's everything else that clogs up the site.

But this doesn't change the basic problem of the site which is you aren't selling the castings. You have made if difficult to find and filter the roles. Even some basic categorization would help. The other problem is you are listing closed castings in the search results. You need to edit your search template to filter these out. It's a simple wp_query attribute.

Posted: Oct 14, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  6. fisicx

33,479 9,924
    Have you looked at the competition? For example:

https://www.mandy.com/
    https://castings.thestage.co.uk/

The both let you easily drill down to location/type and display the info very clearly. There are issues with both sites but it's the categorisation that sets them apart from yours.

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  7. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,351 4,330
    It isn't!

Imagine you are the casting director's assistant and your boss tells you to find ten extras, a young girl with a lisp and five young men who can dance. You have a few minutes to sort out how to go about it and online auditions to be at the end of next week. Clarity has to be your number one priority!

Here's a very common scenario - a film is ready to go. The lead - an older woman - was cast before even the script was finished. On the strength of that lead, the money is ready! Design and studio time and all the other bits and bobs are being booked. The AD and the accountant are running budgets and schedules. One problem - they still can't find the right actress to play the lead as a young girl. It's a small role but it is key to the whole film.

The director and the CD are looking in all the usual places and just the right face looms up on your site. "That might be her!" says the director. "Get her on the phone! I need to see a video of her."

Then he reads that you can put a package together and that his CD has to jump through hoops. They keep looking!

Rule Number One - NO BARRIERS & NO SILLY RULES!

If you want to sell something, putting up silly barriers and making the customer jump through needless hoops means they go elsewhere.

Story - a guy I used to know in the 90s was cycling home from The City where he worked on the trading floor of a large bank. He was about to get married and his bride-to-be wanted to blow about £25k on their wedding. He saw a wedding boutique and wheeled his bicycle inside. The woman in there got sniffy and asked him to leave his bicycle outside. He did. He took it and himself outside and didn't go back. There is hardly a shortage of wedding planners in London!

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013
  8. ablative

107 3
    The idea was that we show some of the profile but to encourage signups (which are free anyway) we'd ask them to sign up to see more. I can see how that might not chime with what you're saying though.

Arguably the biggest site in our field does that (and actually won't even let anyone see the actors at all!)

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 By: ablative Member since: Feb 17, 2010
  9. UKSBD

UKSBD Not a real duck Staff Member

10,230 2,009
    And the people who use it probably know it's the biggest, know how the information is provided and are already signed up to use it.

Until enough people know how your site works, know it is trusted, know the information is good, you need to make it simpler for users to find the information they are looking for.

Can you not have demo sections to see how it works for signed up users?

Posted: Oct 15, 2020 By: UKSBD Member since: Dec 30, 2005
  10. The Byre

The Byre UKBF Legend Full Member

10,351 4,330
    The big difference is that I tried to sign up and it wanted to know my acting name and to post a picture of myself. If someone is casting a movie, they hardly need an acting name.

I suspect that there is some sort of sign-up for CDs and others with acting gigs in the back pockets, but I couldn't find it. And THAT is a website problem - and a big one!

The problem with all these free sites for actors is that nine-tenths of the 'talent' is untalented. Such is life - and the person looking for actors for film is primarily looking for images of people whose image fits a role. Posting a gig for an igénue on an open platform invites applications from one hundred women in their 30s and 40s who are hopelessly unsuitable.
    As @UKSBD (who actually is a real duck!) said, they are the biggest - but more importantly, that is not the point. The problem is not the signing up, but the convoluted nature of the website that makes signing as a non-actor into a puzzle to be solved!

You may think it's simple, but that is like the menus on bad DSLRs that tell you to first go into X-mode and then press button Y to access the Z list of functions that are to be found when you press the B-button.

I suspect that the key to taking a bite out of 'The Stage' and 'Mandy' is for actors to get gigs via your site. They talk to one another and word will spread that it is the site for getting gigs. To do that, CDs and others must find navigation pish-easy!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2020
    Posted: Oct 15, 2020 By: The Byre Member since: Aug 13, 2013