Website owners. Payment Options?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So heres one, you have hosting with Godaddy right? do you have a spare domain? if so fire it up install WP and Woocommerce on there, mess with a few wordpress posts, add a few products, a few images

These are the supported payment gateways, most out of the box, some paid for bolt ons
https://woocommerce.com/product-category/woocommerce-extensions/payment-gateways/

I've been round the houses myself on ecommerces sites tbh, i've installed them all, got used to them and seen something better or offered more functionality and made the move to them. I may be wrong but i would of thought you get much traffic from searh engines etc (doesn't matter as you can always redirect urls etc), seriously spend the few hours you would of worked on todays site tomorrow on taking a look around.

Upvote 0

boo_kong

Free Member
Dec 19, 2016
Yeah ill have to. Most of my traffic has been thanks to social media, Facebook, RC Communities and so on. I've not even attempted to use google search yet. As for spare domain. No i don't. I have thought about changing the template with go daddy but doing that I loose everything I have built so. Just to list one item on my site with listings, pictures, payments etc: can take up 15 to 30 minuets. The thought of doing the 100's of items all over again is a nightmare.

Upvote 0

UrbanRetail

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
Hello,

If you go into paypal and create a 'Add To Cart' button (Tools > Paypal Buttons > Create a button), once you have filled in the details and it displays the code for you to copy to your website, there should be some links underneath. One of these should be 'Create a view cart button'. Click this and complete the next steps. Copy this to each page you'd like the button to be on. You can use the same code without the need to create a new button for each page.

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0

ryedale

Contributor
Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Malton
www.vtsdesign.co.uk
Do you realise it takes less than a minute to add a product to a normal e-commerce system ? I suspect that when you actually see the admin area, you'd be amazed

You say you'll lose your customer base, how will that happen? It's not like they have an account area to come back to now to view their previous orders

Upvote 0

boo_kong

Free Member
Dec 19, 2016
How is it possible to add a item in a minute? I have to upload pictures, put in the description, Payment method then sort the layout of it all, how I want the text to look etc etc: Then I have to link the page or picture to the actual item page. It's endless. If there is a faster easier way then I will Go for it but I don't see how? I've looked at all options I could find on the net and I've not found a faster way. When I used one.com it was the same. I'll like to know more and if there is a simpler way. Thanks Urban Ill take a look at that in a mo:

Upvote 0

UrbanRetail

Free Member
Mar 3, 2012
If there is a faster easier way then I will Go for it but I don't see how?

Probably all ecommerce platforms are faster. You create a product, set price, description photos, assign it to a category and you're done.

Having to put a separate link for each product on each page sounds like an absolute ball-ache. If you really want to keep your current site online I would suggest installing either OpenCart or Woocommerce on a new subdirectory of your hosting and build a new site. Once you have the new site finished you can then swap them over without losing any potential customers.

Upvote 0

Alan

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
Before I go, I can't just do that now Alan as i do have a customer base already.

I didn't mean scrap the business, scrap the site and rebuild it.

You already have done the hard work, of sourcing the images and writing text content.

A proper e-commerce system its just a matter of cutting & pasting, all the 'hard stuff' about linking / categories get done automatically, all the layout is controlled by the templates - you don't have to worry about that sort of stuff.

You only have 100 products, at worst it is 500 minutes of cutting and pasting, about 10 hours work, nothing and you can pay someone to do it.

I can't tell you what is wrong with your existing site - as that breaks the review rules if I did - but trust me it is wrong, very wrong, and it also won't perform on Google ever.

Upvote 0

boo_kong

Free Member
Dec 19, 2016
Ok I have never used ecommerce. I have no idea what it is or what it means. I have been looking it up on google and youtube but I'm getting a bit lost with it all. What would be a good ecommerce to use when it comes to building a new site. I'm guessing i can build a new site and just have my domain swapped over so I don't lose the one i got now till the next is ready? If you could point me in the right direction It would be a grate help. My web builder is probably one of the worst looking at it. They don't even supply a search bar.

Upvote 0

Alan

Free Member
Aug 16, 2011
OK you really have to decide -

1. do you want a 'ready made' solution
or
2. do you want to put together something yourself technically ( or hire a professional )

Based on the limited information you have given regarding your experience, I don't think you should do option 2 unless you hire a professional, and I'm guessing your budget is limited otherwise you wouldn't be building it yourself on GoDaddy, but if you did the main e-commerce products you would be looking at are
- Magento
- OpenCart
- PrestaShop
- WordPress/WooCommerce
(Most professionals here would point you at WooCommerce or OpenCart for budget reasons and flexibility)

However, option 1 is likely to suit you, basically pay monthly for a complete solution
- Shopify
- Blue Park
- EKM Powershop

I'm sure there are a few more, but in reality - start with a Shopify 14 day free trial https://www.shopify.com/free-trial and see how you get on, as you say, you can keep your existing domain pointing to GoDaddy until you are happy to 're-launch'.

Upvote 0

MarekBober

Free Member
Feb 10, 2016
Customer base and products can be migrated, domain can be resigned to new store. Profesional solution will let you work with customer base you have got already. In range of GBP50/month you will get pretty decent solution on the market.

Upvote 0
I hate to say it but it sounds like you don't have the necessary skills to take charge of this and make it a success.

'E-commerce' is essentially the practice of selling products online / online transactions.

If you do not grasp that basic concept, I fear there is a lot more you are not aware of.

If you want a proper online store then you are using the wrong service. We wont be able to help you add a proper store, cart etc as you are limited to the constraints of what GoDaddy offers, your only option is to plugin snippets of code from what PayPal offers.

E-commerce a-side, you have other issues such as non-responsive website. Check this article: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2016/11/01/mobile-web-usage-overtakes-desktop-for-first-time/ - Mid 2016 Mobile web usage over takes desktop for the first time. This is a worrying statistic for websites that are not mobile responsive. If a website is difficult to view on mobile the visitor will likely leave, you could be losing 50% of any potential traffic.

Fortunately there are lots of low cost / free options but you need to bite the bullet and move away from GoDaddy.

If you need help I will be happy to assist you, just reach out and someone from my team will be in touch.

Upvote 0
I Agree WooCommerce is good. However, just recently came across this review site, they have all the details of the top 10, it might help you choose.
It is on toptenreviews, but I am not allowed to post the link here.

Laura

Upvote 0
If you are too far down the line with the website could you add in a 3rd party cart/checkout onto the GoDaddy website? Something like ECWID, ShopIntegrator, Mail's ecommerce or RomanCart would give you the simplified checkout buttons. This would also mean you could use a 3rd party gateway at much lower processing rates.

Upvote 0

Nochexman

Free Member
Jun 14, 2011
Leeds
www.nochex.com
Upvote 0
This may sound a bit harsh, but why didnt you use a shopping cart software, if thats what you wanted. Any of the many free ecommerce platforms will offer more than you have at the minute, and they will make your life so much easier. They will also make your customers life easier too. Just take a quick look at opencart, woo commerce, oscommerce, prestashop and there are many more. They all offer demos of both the front and back ends so you can see what you are getting. You could copy any of your products over to all of those platforms easily and quickly.

At the end of the day but if it was me, I would stop wasting any time, and do it properly.

Upvote 0

HomesWarehouse

Free Member
Dec 22, 2016
I use the same stock supplier on one of my sites, this isn't a website review, although the site is a bit crazy with the colours etc , but after using them throughout Christmas and new year I would possibly get a second supplier on board, having one supplier can cause u massive problems if you run into issues with the only one you have

Upvote 0

MarekBober

Free Member
Feb 10, 2016
I use the same stock supplier on one of my sites, this isn't a website review, although the site is a bit crazy with the colours etc , but after using them throughout Christmas and new year I would possibly get a second supplier on board, having one supplier can cause u massive problems if you run into issues with the only one you have
Redundancy= reliability no matter within suppliers, shipping, hosting, payments, channels.
Be prepared for the most challenging tasks, only with such approach you will be reliable source of product and services for your customers.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.

Subscribe to our newsletters

ukbf logo
ukbf logo

Real community whatever your business.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and pride ourselves on offering unbiased, critical discussion among people of all different backgrounds. We are working every day to make sure our community is one of the best.

Quick Navigation

User Menu