Website Domains

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by Tigris, Jan 6, 2021.

1. Tigris

Tigris UKBF Regular Free Member

320 9
    Hi there,

do you find it makes a big difference having .com over co.uk? As in does it put people off/make the brand look smaller?

Ideally as ile be managing the shipping from the UK ide like to try and keep sales within the UK to start with and focus on the UK audience in terms of social media advertising. I do use quickbooks online but feel that sending things a abroad might be tricky due to import tax etc.

I can have .co.uk for 0.99p or .com for £5000 something, lol

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 By: Tigris Member since: Apr 30, 2018
  2. ServWise

ServWise UKBF Ace Full Member

1,236 269
    £5000??????? if they are charging £5000 then it is a domain that is being squatted. look for a different name or maybe go for one of the many new domain extensions. having a .UK domain will indicate you are uk-centric so if you want to sell worldwide instead go for a top-level domain extension. There are hundreds of new international domain extensions that could be a better fit for your business e.g. .shop, .online or .site etc

Do also get the .UK domain though so no once else can.

Posted: Jan 6, 2021 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
  3. Tigris

320 9
    I do like the idea of .shop The only problem is if I have a contact address it may look a bit strange wouldn't it having [email protected]? (in my opinion contact emails tend to end in .com or .co.uk).

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: Tigris Member since: Apr 30, 2018
  4. gpietersz

gpietersz UKBF Ace Full Member

1,764 428
    Depends. It does not really make it look smaller (lots of big companies either use a .co.uk, or use it in addition to a .com and others so they have a separate domain for each market. It also makes you look more British - if you are aiming for the UK market that may be a good thing. Even if it makes the business look smaller, that is not always a bad thing. Do you want the domain to say "1) its a business and 2) its British)"

They also confuse people. When I had a .info site I found people would say so the domain is example.info.com ?

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: gpietersz Member since: Sep 10, 2019
  5. ServWise

1,236 269
    There will always be people who are internet illiterate who assume all domains will have .com on the end, if you can get the .com then certainly that is the best option. However, in the same way, one of the new domain extensions can make your business stand out, especially if it fits what your business does. In an ideal world, we would all have the .com domain we want and also the more targeted new extension but that is rarely an option these days if you want anything that is easy to type and remember.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
  6. gpietersz

1,764 428
    A lot, if not most, people are "internet illiterate" - but their money is just as good as that of someone who is.

Yes, you might have limited choices and it may be necessary to use the new extensions as a last resort - but its usually better to be imaginative and use some variant of your name (adding product type, or town, or similar, as long as it does not get too long). Of course sometimes you need to compromise (I use a .net because the .com had gone - but I also used an abbreviated version of the name with a .com until someone offer me a few grand for it which was a good deal for something that was being used for a personal site at the time).

The new extensions (including .uk) exist to make money for the industry (by getting brand owners to buy more domains defensively) rather than for the benefit of domain owners.

In this case @Tigris has said the .co.uk is available so none of this matters anyway.

7. ServWise

1,236 269
    I wasn't really disagreeing with you, I was just pointing out that sometimes it can be better to do a bit of lateral thinking, As a worldwide business owner myself I would never think of putting my site only on a UK centric domain even if I promote my UK'ness in parts of my site, it would immediately put off anyone outside of the UK.

If the OP is the same then forget the .UK domain, it has exactly the same issues any non .com will have unless you are a UK centric business. The whole argument that people assume your domain ends in .com applies to all domain that are not .com even .uk. The fact is that most people don't even type domains any more, they search google or click a mailto: link or use an online form for communication or at worst copy and paste for 99.99% of the time.

I personally think the introduction of the new domain extentions has nullified the need to buy every extension to protect your "brand" it simply is not economically viable to buy 600+ domain extensions, but it has allowed people to get the name they want when the .com was being squatted and even to stand out somewhat rather being stuck buying a name that is not memorable or not quite right e.g. the old name-shop.com or name-agency.com etc can now be just name.shop or name.agency which makes it even sound more legitimate to me.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: ServWise Member since: Jan 22, 2008
  8. gpietersz

1,764 428
    I can see that would make sense in your business. It depends on what you are selling and what your target market is. Even for some things aimed at a global market a .co.uk might be better if its something the UK has a good reputation for (everything from whisky to education).

Interesting point, but a lot of big businesses can afford to do it, and some smaller ones try. A lot of people do buy both a .co.uk and a .uk, for example. On the other hand a lot do not. I have no evidence on what the net effect is, but I suspect it favours the registration industry making more money.

9. Tigris

320 9
    Thanks for the replies guys.

I might try and come up with another name so I can have the .com domain.

Currently using a couple of websites to mix the niche name with another name related to the niche to combine new words :) Would be awsome if I could have something that hasn't been taken on social media either.

Posted: Jan 7, 2021 By: Tigris Member since: Apr 30, 2018
  10. Simon-TP

Simon-TP UKBF Regular Full Member

118 26
    As above it depends on your target market and outreach. .com will have a more global appeal/audience but might only benefit you if you are targeting customers outside of the UK. I'd agree that you should look for an alternative name if you do want a .com unless paying £5K is really going to make a difference to your brand/marketing which you could still achieve using a different domain for much less if you approach it in the right way.

Posted: Jan 12, 2021 By: Simon-TP Member since: May 5, 2020