Ecommerce Forum Brought to you by i-bidder.com

Website Card Payments for Sole Traders

Discussion in 'Ecommerce Forum' started by 3 MORE YEARS, Mar 6, 2018.

1. 3 MORE YEARS

3 MORE YEARS UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

915 103
    If have an online business abc.com and my trading name is ABC, and where customers pay for service online. And say I use Stripe or Paypal to take card payments on the website. When the customers pay do they see my trading name? What appears or their card statement my trading name or my name (John Smith)?

I would really like to know the answer to this question. There is a business idea I am playing around with, and I would prefer to start off as a sole trader. But I don’t want it to be confusing for customers by them seeing my name which they won’t recognise.

Thanks.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: 3 MORE YEARS Member since: Dec 31, 2008
  2. TotalWebSolutions

TotalWebSolutions UKBF Ace Full Member - Verified Business

2,475 600
    It is generally the trading name as taken from your application form but check with the payment processor to be clear as sometimes you can add your own 'narrative'. If it is a Sole Trader business it may well be that it is your name and then trading as (e.g. John Smith t/a ABC).

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: TotalWebSolutions Member since: Sep 29, 2009
  3. Bainzee

Bainzee UKBF Contributor Full Member

99 15
    I agree with total web solutions

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: Bainzee Member since: Mar 10, 2017
  4. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Full Member

834 204
    Both Stripe and PayPal allow you to specify a statement descriptor. There's a blog post about this being introduced for Stripe here: https://stripe.com/blog/dynamic-descriptors However I can't remember if the trading or legal names are shown along side this.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  5. 3 MORE YEARS

3 MORE YEARS UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

915 103
    Thanks guys. I am asking in relation to Sole Traders. I have had limited companies for a long time with card processing so I know the answe for limited companies.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: 3 MORE YEARS Member since: Dec 31, 2008
  6. Mixture

Mixture UKBF Regular Full Member

104 18
    I use Stripe both for my LTD business, and a different stripe account for my Sole Trader business. You can specify within the account what is written on the card statement, both a short description and a long description that also shows up on certain card statements.

Posted: Mar 6, 2018 By: Mixture Member since: Jan 12, 2012
  7. The Longley Sales Academy

The Longley Sales Academy UKBF Newcomer Free Member

18 3
    I'm not familiar with stripe, but have used Paypal successfully over the past 4 years, with my sole trader ecommerce business. I chose the redirection option, where your clients are re-directed from the checkout page to the secure paypal payment page, and then re-directed back to the shop when they're done with the payment. Both redirections are smooth in my experience. On the Paypal payment page the clients will be able to see the name of your business, and you can also decide on the description they see on their card statement (there's a character limit though). Hope this helps!

Posted: Mar 14, 2018 By: The Longley Sales Academy Member since: Mar 7, 2018