Website build access

Discussion in 'Wordpress Support' started by Eveegirl, Apr 25, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Eveegirl

Eveegirl UKBF Newcomer Free Member

3 1
    Hi All
    Not sure if im starting in the right place so apologies if i'm not!
    We had a local guy design our website last year. He has been uncontactable now for a number of months due to various reasons incl. very poor health. We have now come to the conclusion that he will not be in touch at atall.
    We are now left with a website that needs tweaking and updating but have no log in details. We thought we had them but nothing works so we believe he used a process we weren't aware of. Arrgh! All I know is it is powered by Wordpress. Can anyone advise a tired, non technical person who is losing business over a underpowered website with no where to go ....? TIA

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 By: Eveegirl Member since: Apr 25, 2018
  2. nahosting

nahosting UKBF Regular Free Member

247 60
    Hi,

I am guessing that the password reset option has not been set up on the login page? You would need access to the files where your website is hosted to sort this out. Did you arrange the web hosting or did your web designer?

If you have no access then to the /wp-admin area or the hosting space then there is not much you can do I am afraid.

Cheers
    Chris

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 By: nahosting Member since: Mar 19, 2013
  3. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,131 313
    You can always have a developer re-create the website which will be significantly quicker than designing and creating a brand new one from scratch. This could be even quicker if the website is basic and/or the WordPress theme isn't bespoke to your website.

Do you own / have access to the domain? I'd say this is the more important part for a business / "brochure" style website (mostly static content).

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  4. Eveegirl

3 1
    Thanks guys
    I've tried accessing with our web address/blog/wp-admin and nothing is found so that looks like a dead end
    I am considering if it would be easier to re-create the website but it tears me apart to spend the money again
    How would I find out if I have access to the Domain? (Told you I was rubbish at this!)

5. james_firmsites

james_firmsites UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

596 152
    Hi, we deal with this a lot for customers so will shoot you a PM with contact details and take a look, there are multiple ways of getting back in but need to establish where its hosted and if you can get to the database, sometimes its as simple as doing a password redirect if you control the domain still.

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 By: james_firmsites Member since: Dec 20, 2012
  6. nahosting

nahosting UKBF Regular Free Member

247 60
    The URL would be "your-domain-name/wp-admin" so no "/blog"

If your domain name is a UK domain then check it at https://www.nominet.uk/whois/ to find the details

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 By: nahosting Member since: Mar 19, 2013
  7. Mike Hayes

Mike Hayes UKBF Enthusiast Free Member

1,131 313
    If you're not sure, then you probably don't have control over the domain name.

However if it's a .co.uk / .uk domain name and the original designer registered the domain name using your email address (unlikely but worth a shot), then you will be able to access the domain via Nominet (the UK domain registry) at the following URL:

https://secure.nominet.org.uk/auth/login.html

Just click "First time logging in or forgotten your password?" and enter your email address, with some luck you may find that you have an account containing the domain name.

From there, you can at least keep control of your domain name, then point it at a new web hosting account and have a freelance developer clone your existing website for a relatively low cost if it's a simple website, before making the required changes.

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 By: Mike Hayes Member since: Jan 7, 2016
  8. fisicx

fisicx It's Major Clanger! Staff Member

32,665 9,678
    A lot depends on ownership. If the site is registered in your name that’s a good start. If you are paying for hosting that’s even better.

If the developer has full control then it becomes much more difficult.

If the developer is local can you not go knock on his door?

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 By: fisicx Member since: Sep 12, 2006
  9. james_firmsites

james_firmsites UKBF Enthusiast Full Member - Verified Business

596 152
    All sorted, they had the MySQL logins so was able to manually replace the email address on the old dev's wordpress admin login and reset the password!

Posted: Apr 25, 2018 By: james_firmsites Member since: Dec 20, 2012
  10. Eveegirl

3 1
    Thank you all for your replies. James at Firmsites has managed to go through this with me and we have success! Really helpful and appreciated :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.